First look at Dragon armor's Porsche Tiger & 2011 releases

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

First look at Dragon armor's Porsche Tiger & 2011 releases

Post by Heer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:55 pm

Found this on Yahoo Auction Japan:
http://page22.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l91347449

The tiger p looks good, can't wait to add it to my collection. :D :D :D
Last edited by Heer on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: First look at Dragon armor's Porsche Tiger

Post by StormyThoughts » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:51 pm

As I remember correctly, the real one had zimmerit.

It seems that Dragon will put vehicle history on the box from now on. I like the idea, but I think these arrows naming parts of the tank are a bit childish.

Cheers

dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by dragon53 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:37 am

The deck under the 88mm looks too short. The model looks like the Tiger I tanks converted from T34 tanks on KELLY'S HEROES, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and BAND OF BROTHERS.

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks for posting this Heer.

I like the look of the Tiger P.

I also like the new box art, lets remember not everyone is an experienced enthusiast, the box information will be useful to some.

Another great release from a manufacturer thats making a strong play for 1:72 manufacturer of the year in my opinion.

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 am

Wrights Collectables wrote:Thanks for posting this Heer.

I like the look of the Tiger P.

I also like the new box art, lets remember not everyone is an experienced enthusiast, the box information will be useful to some.

Another great release from a manufacturer thats making a strong play for 1:72 manufacturer of the year in my opinion.
Ditto

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:34 pm

The real 003 does have zimmeret, and I agree that it is ashame that dragon "forgot" the zimmeret. Nevertheless I am really looking forward to the porsche tiger.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:52 pm

that is one butt ugly tank. No wonder it didn't get built.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:45 pm

i have a book that says 4 were built but 3 had been converted to recovery vehicles
it doesnt say what happened to the 4th but Dragon says ~

This vehicle (chassis no. 150013) served as a command tank under the designation Panzerbefehlswagen VI(P). It fought in s.Pz.Jg.Abt.653 (schwere Heeres Panzerjager Abteilung 653) on the Eastern Front in early-to-mid 1944. The commander of the vehicle was Hauptmann Grillenberg, and it bore the turret number ‘003’.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:06 am

AMERICAN_GRENADIER wrote:i have a book that says 4 were built but 3 had been converted to recovery vehicles

This vehicle (chassis no. 150013) served as a command tank under the designation Panzerbefehlswagen VI(P). It fought in s.Pz.Jg.Abt.653 (schwere Heeres Panzerjager Abteilung 653) on the Eastern Front in early-to-mid 1944. The commander of the vehicle was Hauptmann Grillenberg, and it bore the turret number ‘003’.
Didn't the fourth become the "Raumpanzer" prototype?

As I remember 003 was the only tiger(p) to see active service on the Eastern front.

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:03 am

Wrights Collectables wrote:
AMERICAN_GRENADIER wrote:i have a book that says 4 were built but 3 had been converted to recovery vehicles

Didn't the fourth become the "Raumpanzer" prototype?

As I remember 003 was the only tiger(p) to see active service on the Eastern front.
I think American Grenadier meant that 4 porsche tigers were built, 3 were converted to recovery vehicles and the fourth porsche tiger was the 003 tiger, making the 003 porsche tiger the only porsche tiger to see actual combat service. So I guess we can all say that the posche tiger did indeed see wartime service.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:15 am

yes thank you
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:28 pm

I guess this model is derived from the Dragon kit version of this tank, which also lacked any Zimmerit. Curiously, the one I have (made from a kit) has the number 001 on the turret!

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: First look at Dragon armor's Porsche Tiger & 2011 releas

Post by Heer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Looks like there is even more dragon armor releases:

http://www.dragon-models.com/catalog/dr ... /60513.jpg

This sdkfz 223 is most welcome. I may soon have to start collecting early war vehicles. :D

http://www.dragon-models.com/catalog/dr ... /60463.jpg

A stug. Looks good, but I already have one, so I may not purchase this one.

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:18 am

I was surprisingly disappointed by the Dragon Armor Tiger (P). Unlike many previous models, it has the towing cables moulded straight onto the side of the hull, which just makes it look a bit cheap. Even so, as it's a subject that hasn't been released before, it was inevitable that I'd end up buying it anyway!

The lack of weathering can perhaps be forgiven, as this sole tank probably didn't survive for long. The other recent releases from Dragon are really nice - much better than the Tiger (P).

My only gripe is that several of the other latest releases are no longer screwed to the base of the display case. So if you're in the habit of leaving them in their original boxes, you can't really see them very clearly unless you remove the inner pieces of transparent plastic (which is the only thing stopping the model from rattling around).

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:37 am

I actually like the fact that they are no longer screwed to base. No more holes on the bottom (not that it was of any nuisance) and a lot easier to take photos of the actual vehicle.

It seems that only new toolings are screw-free. The old molds are still being done classic way

Cheers

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:33 pm

paulmerton wrote:
My only gripe is that several of the other latest releases are no longer screwed to the base of the display case. So if you're in the habit of leaving them in their original boxes, you can't really see them very clearly unless you remove the inner pieces of transparent plastic (which is the only thing stopping the model from rattling around).
I too was somewhat dissapointed by dragon's tiger (p). It is extremely light. I understand the plastic, but the quality seems to be dropping on their tiger (p). I am hoping that this is soley due to the fact that this was a brand new casting. Weathering is also nonexistant.

Dragon may not be screwing holes on some of their vehicles because they are light vehicles not tanks. By light vehicles I mean jeeps, truck, armoured cars,tankettes, etc. The tiger was still screwed and so was the tiger (p). I am actually looking forward to HM's FAMO and dragon's sdkfz 223!! :D

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:45 am

Heer wrote: I too was somewhat dissapointed by dragon's tiger (p). It is extremely light. I understand the plastic, but the quality seems to be dropping on their tiger (p). I am hoping that this is soley due to the fact that this was a brand new casting. Weathering is also nonexistant.
Tiger P is an old tooling, back from 2006 or even earlier. I don't have one, but I am kinda surprised to hear that weathering and quality dropped. What do U mean by that? Is it detail wise?

Recently I have picked up DAK 222. The weathering is quite extensive, and although I must admit they could put more detail on it, the new 223 has all the details that were missed on 222 (mirror guards, turning bayonets, visor guards and bored mg).

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm

StormyThoughts wrote:
Heer wrote:Tiger P is an old tooling, back from 2006 or even earlier.
I thought this was the first time they've produced a ready made Tiger (P)? Or is it based on the same chassis tooling as the kit version?

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:28 pm

StormyThoughts wrote:
Heer wrote: I too was somewhat dissapointed by dragon's tiger (p). It is extremely light. I understand the plastic, but the quality seems to be dropping on their tiger (p). I am hoping that this is soley due to the fact that this was a brand new casting. Weathering is also nonexistant.
Tiger P is an old tooling, back from 2006 or even earlier. I don't have one, but I am kinda surprised to hear that weathering and quality dropped. What do U mean by that? Is it detail wise?

Recently I have picked up DAK 222. The weathering is quite extensive, and although I must admit they could put more detail on it, the new 223 has all the details that were missed on 222 (mirror guards, turning bayonets, visor guards and bored mg).
The quality has indeed dropped a bit. It does not look as good as the production picture does :( . However, it is an interesting piece. If you have any of the older releases, they are excellent in so many ways. I hope that dragon doesn't end up like FOV, where their earlier releases are excellent, and their newest releases looks like a far cry from before.

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:44 am

paulmerton wrote: I thought this was the first time they've produced a ready made Tiger (P)? Or is it based on the same chassis tooling as the kit version?
It is indeed. All Dragon Armor releases are ready made Dragon 1/72 Armor PRO kits. Usually the kit arrives first, followed shortly by pre-built version.

There were few exceptions to this rule in the past, Tiger(P) being one of them released in 2006 (7209), and so was the already announced Sdkfz 251/22, released back in 2008.

Some Dragon 1/72 kits omitted in Dragon Armor range, I would like to see done:

T-34/85 with bed-spring armor, Berlin 1945 (Dragon 7270)
T-34 Mod 43 (Dragon 7277)
Sdkfz 251 with Wurfrahmen 40 "Stuka zu Fuss" (Dragon 7306)
Panther-BeobahtungWagen (Dragon 7230)

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:03 pm

StormyThoughts wrote:All Dragon Armor releases are ready made Dragon 1/72 Armor PRO kits. Usually the kit arrives first, followed shortly by pre-built version.
Ah, I suspected that was the case. I think it may have been the better paint job on my Dragon pro kit that made me assume there was a difference, although I'm still not convinced that there's as much photoetched content in the Dragon Armor versions.

When it's daylight, I can upload some comparison photos if you're interested.
StormyThoughts wrote:Some Dragon 1/72 kits omitted in Dragon Armor range, I would like to see done:

T-34/85 with bed-spring armor, Berlin 1945 (Dragon 7270)
T-34 Mod 43 (Dragon 7277)
Sdkfz 251 with Wurfrahmen 40 "Stuka zu Fuss" (Dragon 7306)
Panther-BeobahtungWagen (Dragon 7230)
I have the first 3 in that list, all built and painted by a master pro (i.e. not me!). I'd be surprised to see the first one end up in the Dragon Armor range, as the bed spring armour is incredibly fragile and no doubt fiddly to assemble. It does look awesome though :) The 3rd one also looks awesome, but again, the fiddliness factor makes me think it will never end up in the Dragon Armor lineup.

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:26 pm

FOV made an excellent stuka zu fyss in 1/72. I consider it as one of FOV's best. :D

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:40 am

I can see the likeness now!

Here's the 1/72 Dragon Armor Tiger (P):

And here's the 1/72 Tiger (P) made from a kit:

Also out of interest, here's the Forces of Valor Stuka zu Fuss. I don't like it much myself, as the front wheels are very wobbly, the tracks look too wide, and those aerials are a bit goofy:

And here are a couple of 1/72 Dragon ones made from kits:

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for Your pics. Tigers P look kinda similar, the kit version is obviously more subtly weathered.
paulmerton wrote:I'm still not convinced that there's as much photoetched content in the Dragon Armor versions.
And You're right! Although these are Dragons ready made kits, they usually drop the photo-etched brasses were they can :evil: i.e. Pak36 gun shields mounted on 251/10 are made from brass as well as Stugs exhausts and also recent Ha-Go and Chi-Ha have them, but vent covers on Tigers and Panthers went AWOL :(
paulmerton wrote:I'd be surprised to see the first one end up in the Dragon Armor range, as the bed spring armour is incredibly fragile and no doubt fiddly to assemble. It does look awesome though :)
You might get Your surprise :mrgreen: Remember Dragon Armor 60311 - Chally2 with mesh armour? I was stunned when I saw they actually released it :mrgreen:

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 am

StormyThoughts wrote:You might get Your surprise :mrgreen: Remember Dragon Armor 60311 - Chally2 with mesh armour? I was stunned when I saw they actually released it :mrgreen:
I'd really like one of those, but they seem to have sold out a long time ago :(