Dragon 1/35 Tiger I Late Production #61019

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Dragon 1/35 Tiger I Late Production #61019

Post by skypirate » Sun May 03, 2009 5:20 pm

I don't really feel qualified to write a review, but here are a few photos of the Dragon 1/35, Tiger I Late Production 1./s.Pz.Abt.505, Nowe Koszary 1944, #61019. I wrestled with choosing between it and the Sd. Kfz. 181 PzKpfw VI Tiger I - sPzAbt. 501, Tunisia, 1942 61001.

Overall, I've been very happy with the Dragon 1/35 scale tanks. I'm a little apprehensive each time I open one of the hatches. Some of them are a very tight fit that should be opened gently and carefully. In general, the Dragon tanks have more detail than their more robust 21c counterparts, but with the trade-off of feeling extremely delicate.

Each model comes attached to a base similar to their 1/72 scale tanks. There's a groove that appears designed for a clear plastic dust cover.

Pros: Lots of crisp, nice detail more than any of my other Tiger I's, note the wing nuts securing the cables and tools on top of the hull. High quality assembly.

Cons: Uncharacteristically dirty paint environment for Dragon, quite few short fibers/hairs, all about the same length, in the second camo color paint application. Second camo color, is glossier, reflects a little differently. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like Dragon's paint scuffs easily or whether that's intentional wear they've applied (update, I think it's the plastic shipping covers that is scuffing the the turret). There's some "dirt" airbrushing that looks a little sloppy/unconvincing (three spots next to the driver's hatch for example).

I'm more of a King Tiger fan and think this will conclude my Tiger I purchases.

Last edited by skypirate on Wed May 06, 2009 9:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

Panzer_M
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Panzer_M » Sun May 03, 2009 5:37 pm

I didn't get that one, I picked up the Koln Late Tiger, and then got the Africa Tiger for 29.99 back in March on Ebay.

but yea I am not a huge Tiger fan,,but these are better than FoV jobs IMO.
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Sun May 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Wow!

I had 1/35 Dragon Tiger tanks for more than a year, and it never occur to me to look inside! I did not know that there are details inside. I have to take a look inside right now!

Duh!

tparkhre :shock:

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Sun May 03, 2009 7:59 pm

tparkhere wrote:Wow!

I had 1/35 Dragon Tiger tanks for more than a year, and it never occur to me to look inside! I did not know that there are details inside. I have to take a look inside right now!

Duh!

I suspect not as much detail as their models for building. Incomplete interiors, probably just what might be visible through the turret hatch. I think it varies from tank to tank.
Last edited by skypirate on Sun May 03, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Sun May 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Panzer_M wrote:I didn't get that one, I picked up the Koln Late Tiger, and then got the Africa Tiger for 29.99 back in March on Ebay.

but yea I am not a huge Tiger fan,,but these are better than FoV jobs IMO.
$29?! and I thought I got a great price.

I'd like them to release one or two King Tigers with out the zimmerit. I'm thinking about one out of four or five didn't have it. I not a fan of the wicker look.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon May 04, 2009 7:10 pm

i feel the quality over all is pretty good. if you look close enough at k&C or FOV there are plenty of cons aswell.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Mon May 04, 2009 7:33 pm

skypirate wrote:
tparkhere wrote:Wow!

Duh!

I suspect not as much detail as their models for building. Incomplete interiors, probably just what might be visible through the turret hatch. I think it varies from tank to tank.
actually they are just built kits..same parts for almost 98%

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Mon May 04, 2009 9:57 pm

Panzer_M wrote:actually they are just built kits..same parts for almost 98%
Pretty good business plan. Models for collectors that want to build and customize their own. Finished models for the rest of us.

One of these days, I'm going to have to work on that Maus with the severely warped up hull.

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Business Plan

Post by lightning2000 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:42 am

Hello Skypirate,
I agree, a very smart business plan. On the downside, it telegraphs to your competitors what you will likely come out with in the near-term and Dragon seems to release newly tooled models at a snail's pace. Seven years into the series, and they're just now getting around to releasing 1:72 scale Panzer IVs and nothing in the way of Allied armor in the 1:35 scale regime. Tough to keep people's interest picqued when stuff comes out that slowly and they tend to cover a subject to death to maximize the cost of the tooling...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Business Plan

Post by skypirate » Tue May 05, 2009 6:48 am

lightning2000 wrote:Hello Skypirate,
I agree, a very smart business plan. On the downside, it telegraphs to your competitors what you will likely come out with in the near-term and Dragon seems to release newly tooled models at a snail's pace. Seven years into the series, and they're just now getting around to releasing 1:72 scale Panzer IVs and nothing in the way of Allied armor in the 1:35 scale regime. Tough to keep people's interest picqued when stuff comes out that slowly and they tend to cover a subject to death to maximize the cost of the tooling...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Wow, I was unaware the series had been around that long. And I agree with your assessment. In particular, I've seen all the Dragon Tiger I's I want to see in any scale (well, 1/18 ).

Considering they have access to all of their preexisting models, it does seem like they could have a more diverse representation of vehicles. I can only speculate that it's a production line economics decision. However, it does seem like everyone from Dragon, retailer and customer could benefit from a wider variety of vehicles.

I've become somewhat impatient with their 1/72 and am grateful that HobbyMaster, EZModel, and IXO are filling in the more exotic and mundane vehicles, transports, armoured car, fuel trucks, etc. (I want artillery!)

I think it's going to be interesting to see how they fare in the upcoming year. With some of their 1/72 models nearing $30, their 1/35 items are in my opinion, becoming a better value. They do seem to be aware of that issue and apparently trying to adjust to the market with their value plus series.

Thanks for the very informative post. Even though I've been collecting for a while, it's been as a consumer. Only recently, becoming more interested the industry and appreciating the histories of specific vehicle numbers.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue May 05, 2009 9:42 am

Not so much a SNAIL pace for Kit builders

and that doesn't list the new figure kits so far for 09, more than a 1/2 dozen.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue May 05, 2009 9:44 am

which is more than Tamiya, Italeri and Trump have done for 2009

and NO I don't count Tamiya's reboxing of other companies' model under their name, See L6/40 from Italeri in a Tamiya Box.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Fri May 08, 2009 2:42 pm

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/n ... dragon.htm

Dragon shows 12!! new 1/35 Kits. after the last 12 of 2009!

So not even June, and we have 24 1/35 kits and several figure sets.

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Business Plan

Post by uksubs » Fri May 08, 2009 11:52 pm

lightning2000 wrote:Hello Skypirate,

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net

Have to say I'm not very happy with the lack of 1/35 armour from Dragon in 2009 :cry:

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Armor

Post by lightning2000 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:25 am

Hello Panzer M,
You may good points about the new model kits coming out from Dragon. Whle they are indeed "new tooling" I was referring to "new tooling" as it applies to pre-assembled items. For some reason, they seem to be shying away from the pre-built products, perhaps because labor costs have gone up in the Orient.

UK, I too lament the lack of new armor from Dragon, both in the diminuitive 1:72 scale and larger 1:35 scale. My sense is that they could be in the process of re-inventing themselves, attempting to find ways of offering lower cost pre-assembled products. The same holds true of their Warbirds series, which seems to have come to an abrupt halt. It could be a case where they are listening attentively to their audience and trying to correct any perceived deficiencies they see in their lines or perhaps they're just taking a break in favor of the unassembled models range.

Time will tell if they're reimagining the ranges or content to sit on their laurels for now...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Sun May 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Lighting, Dragon normally does their the kits and armour in 2 paces releases of the 1/35 and 1/72 built 'ems, then check the kits for what is selling and pick the most advanced/most correct kits to do as pre-builts. I bet we will see atleast re-paints of Tigers/Panthers esp the early G(Pz Brigade 106 IIRC) and maybe a totally new release by fall.

but remember a kit is more profitable than a pre-painted prebuilt. So OF course will we see those 20-1 in odds on the shelves.

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Armor

Post by uksubs » Mon May 11, 2009 8:35 am

lightning2000 wrote:Hello Panzer M,
You may good points about the new model kits coming out from Dragon. Whle they are indeed "new tooling" I was referring to "new tooling" as it applies to pre-assembled items. For some reason, they seem to be shying away from the pre-built products, perhaps because labor costs have gone up in the Orient.

UK, I too lament the lack of new armor from Dragon, both in the diminuitive 1:72 scale and larger 1:35 scale. My sense is that they could be in the process of re-inventing themselves, attempting to find ways of offering lower cost pre-assembled products. The same holds true of their Warbirds series, which seems to have come to an abrupt halt. It could be a case where they are listening attentively to their audience and trying to correct any perceived deficiencies they see in their lines or perhaps they're just taking a break in favor of the unassembled models range.

Time will tell if they're reimagining the ranges or content to sit on their laurels for now...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Lightning2000 were the Dragon 1/35 armour selling well :?:

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

1:35 Scale Vehicles

Post by lightning2000 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:03 am

Hello Panzer,
I would agree that Dragon probably reviews their kits to see which items sell the best before choosing them for their pre-built line. And yes, it does seems as if they have created at least twenty times more kits than prebuilt vehicles. Having said that, they certainly have alot of subjects to choose from should they decide to amp up production for the pre-built range.

Hello UK,
The 1:35 scale line sells well, however, most of the subjects chosen thus far have already been made available in the Minichamps line. For around $20 more, a customer can obtain an all-metal vehicle with metal tracks. While the paint schemes may not be as attractive and the lack of zimmerit calls into question their accuracy, we feel more customers dont mind shelling out a few more dollars for the Minichamps replicas.

Keep in mind too, there seems to be more product dumping on the Dragon side as opposed to the Minichamps range, which has an adverse effect on sales if you dont plan to slash their prices to keep pace. I've seen forum posts where a customer was able to nab a Dragon vehicle for $25 or so, which is far below its wholesale cost. In some ways this is akin to finding the 21st Century Toys 1:18 aircraft for $25 at Walmart. While great for the consumer in the short term, in the long haul this can really hurt the potential for the rest of the range.

To correct this, Dragon needs to produce less product, choose more interesting subjects than ones already replicated, and, quite possibly, request that dealers adhere to a MAP Policy to keep the prices where they need to be. Mind you, I'm not a big proponent of MAP pricing, however, under certain circumstances, it can be beneficial for both the dealer and the customer.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1:35 Scale Vehicles

Post by uksubs » Mon May 11, 2009 10:33 pm

lightning2000 wrote:Hello Panzer,
I would agree that Dragon probably reviews their kits to see which items sell the best before choosing them for their pre-built line. And yes, it does seems as if they have created at least twenty times more kits than prebuilt vehicles. Having said that, they certainly have alot of subjects to choose from should they decide to amp up production for the pre-built range.

Hello UK,
The 1:35 scale line sells well, however, most of the subjects chosen thus far have already been made available in the Minichamps line. For around $20 more, a customer can obtain an all-metal vehicle with metal tracks. While the paint schemes may not be as attractive and the lack of zimmerit calls into question their accuracy, we feel more customers dont mind shelling out a few more dollars for the Minichamps replicas.

Keep in mind too, there seems to be more product dumping on the Dragon side as opposed to the Minichamps range, which has an adverse effect on sales if you dont plan to slash their prices to keep pace. I've seen forum posts where a customer was able to nab a Dragon vehicle for $25 or so, which is far below its wholesale cost. In some ways this is akin to finding the 21st Century Toys 1:18 aircraft for $25 at Walmart. While great for the consumer in the short term, in the long haul this can really hurt the potential for the rest of the range.

To correct this, Dragon needs to produce less product, choose more interesting subjects than ones already replicated, and, quite possibly, request that dealers adhere to a MAP Policy to keep the prices where they need to be. Mind you, I'm not a big proponent of MAP pricing, however, under certain circumstances, it can be beneficial for both the dealer and the customer.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
I think your right in what your saying comparing Dragon & Minichamp & for me the Dragon armour is over priced & I think that what put people of from buying them + as you said in the seconder market they don't old there value , where Minichamps do very well but for me the paint job on the Dragons is the winner for me & a let down on the Minichamps .
If Minichamp could do the same paint finish they would be onto a winner
Minichamp are also very slow in bring out new models to :cry:

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue May 12, 2009 3:53 pm

just up today on DragonUSA.

along with a sweet winter set of PanzerRiders(Mid-late War Heer)(1/35 Kit) is two more 1/72 Dragon Armour King Tigers, one is a copy of the 1/35 506 King Tiger and the other is a white-washed.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue May 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue May 12, 2009 4:50 pm