1/16 Merit WW2 15cm sFH18 Howitzer

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/16 Merit WW2 15cm sFH18 Howitzer

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:59 am

Jesse James wrote:
I'm sure if I were a smaller scale guy that the 1:32 and 1:35 thing would P me off too unless it were really not noticeable. I never really compared.
Trust me, it's noticeable. And since no one is making 1/32 armor except random repaints, I have starting replacing mine with 1/35 kits.

At least aircraft are still 1/32.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:49 am

Jesse James wrote:If Merit did Hanomag kits though, 1:16? Yeah... I'd be there, all day long... Same with basically all of it, from Jeeps to trucks to halftracks to tractors to ambulances... I'd go nuts just having a supported scale basically. :) Right now, 1:18 is deader than it's ever been... Kinda hurts looking, seeing 1:16 stuff coming like the German Artillery, and knowing that said artillery isn't going to look hot against what I have, and what I have doesn't really have a good option to buy in 1:16 right now so it all matches up nicely.

Would it cost to rebuy? Absolutely.

Am I looking at a 1:16 T-34 right now though, and pretty tempted to buy because I think what Merit put out is pretty damn perfect at a great price? Absolutely... I'm to the point, 1:18 should just completely die at this point, so 1:16 can dominate and people can buy what matches up.

I'm sure if I were a smaller scale guy that the 1:32 and 1:35 thing would P me off too unless it were really not noticeable. I never really compared.
I would agree if Merit could remake the same stuff and more in 1/16 at the same low pricepoint that 21st Century toys had (under $40 for a hanomag) but if they did do it I bet it would be triple that at least or maybe double that for kits. Just look at what the want for an existing mold of the 1/18 88mm, now think about what it would be if it were an all new tooling :cry:

Merits or I should say Wsn/Trumpeters static 1/16 T-34/85 is fantastic and under $100 totally painted! I would highly recomend it Jesse! Or the Trumpeter T-34 kits are also fantastic and are around the same price but you get the full interior! 8)

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Those Trumpeter tanks though, very affordable...

If they can do that though, why not some other 1:16 stuff ya know? :)

I am definitely eying those T34's Jnewboy...

I have a StugIII arriving tomorrow, can't wait. I think Shermie or T34 are my next two... Jagdpanther is on my radar too. Wish Sturmtigers were available still. LOVED that piece, but I wasn't buying at the time.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Jesse James wrote:Those Trumpeter tanks though, very affordable...

If they can do that though, why not some other 1:16 stuff ya know? :)

I am definitely eying those T34's Jnewboy...

I have a StugIII arriving tomorrow, can't wait. I think Shermie or T34 are my next two... Jagdpanther is on my radar too. Wish Sturmtigers were available still. LOVED that piece, but I wasn't buying at the time.
If you really like the RC feature watch ebay and you will find a 1/16 WSN T-34 which is made by Trumpeter. Sturmtigers are still around, just keep an eye on ebay.

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:27 pm

One More picture of U.S. M198 Towed Howitzer ( From Facebook)
Picture of assembled M198

https://www.facebook.com/MeritIntlLtd

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:03 am

i'm very tempted to get both the M198 and sFH 18 in 1/16 scale. Does anyone have any pics they can post of either of the 1/16 guns built up, with 1/18 figures beside them? I'm afraid they will look like children manning the guns...
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:34 am

I just read this entire thread. Very interesting discussion from years ago. The eternal battle between 1/18 and 1/16 tanks. :)

I've taken a sort of compromise position. Larger vehicles I stick with 1/18. But artillery and small tanks, like the panzer I, FT, tankettes etc I will dabble in 1/16. Even though they are too big, they look ok because even in 1/16 they are still quite small...and I suspect it would be near impossible to get 1/18 figures to fit into 1/18 tankettes. It gets tricky as to where to cut off doing 1/16 and switch to 1/18 though. Haven't figured that part out yet. :) Takom has made some really nice kits of small tanks/tankettes and there will probably be more.

Artillery is tricky because the crew look noticeably undersized beside it (wheel size, breach height are dead give aways). So I use the tallest most robust 1/18 figures I can...helps a bit. After that I just put up with it....

Still haven't been able to mix 1/18 medium and heavy tanks with 1/16 though.......that may be a bridge too far for me, always.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...