Bunker Hill Avenger worsening horror w/silver lining

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

Bunker Hill Avenger worsening horror w/silver lining

Post by mikeg » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Opening the blinds behind the avenger display allowed it to fall halfway down past the other two breaking a horizontal stabilizer off on the way down :cry: . Then wasting time trying to get modeling glue to hold it back on; this will only work for a couple of minutes, even with proper drying time :evil: . THEN....knocking it off the effing counter top while fixing something else, this time, making it all the way to the concrete basement floor, removing the tail gear, other horizontal stabilizer, torpedo, 3 pieces of the canopy, and one prop blade... :twisted:. Stepping back to release the required vulgarities helped a lot. I found out the rear section of the fusilage is removable, allowing you to insert screws from inside out to each stabilizer giving it a far better stance and fit than the tabs alone :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The other items were easy to fix.

Axis Nightmare

Re: Bunker Hill Avenger worsening horror w/silver lining

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:59 am

That "plastic" used by 21st C. is so fragile. Doesn't help that the Avenger is so big and heavy to add to the impact. None of their stuff lasts long as a kid's toy. Glad you had a happy ending. :)

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:00 pm

the original grey one stabilizers seemed fine, the flight 19 kinda pitiful, I'm really content with the bunker hill repair- it looks better than it does in the picture

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:32 pm

Years ago, my Bunker Hill Avenger lost its horizontal stabilizer, too, with the break at the tabs. Super glue doesn't work.
Ironically, I was thinking this morning that the only permanent solution is to drill holes in the fuselage and stabilizer and insert a small metal pin to act as a substitute mounting tab.
This is too much work for me, so the damaged Avenger gathers dust.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:58 pm

I thought the same, but I was so pissed I just removed the screw caps, wrangled ONE rear fusilage section off with a jewelers flathead (breaking one internal tab to the rear bulkhead thingy) and had access to allow screwing both stabs from the inside out. The removed half still screws back into place and looks fine. It gets easy when you think you can't fix it, you might be suprised; you got no choice, you just gotta fix it.

I might just fix the Flight 19 one just for the hell of it...... that would really be tempting fate, though

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:30 pm

I feel for you, mikeg! I also had the stabilizer get snapped off of my Bunker Hill Avenger... Basically a 1:6 scale soldier I had manning an AA gun way up on a ledge near my ceiling fell about 3 ft onto the plane, which was sitting on top of a bookshelf. I fixed the stabilizer in the manner dragon53 noted, using metal pins for extra support. I also once had the wing hinge break on my Flight 19 Avenger. In that instance, I simply decided to glue the wings on the plane in place. It means they can't fold, but now have the proper dihedral and feel stronger... Also once had my Atlantic Avenger take a plunge. A stabilizer cracked off as did a landing gear strut, but amazingly the prop and wings remained undmaged. The other parts were easy to fix...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:38 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I feel for you, mikeg! I also had the stabilizer get snapped off of my Bunker Hill Avenger... Basically a 1:6 scale soldier I had manning an AA gun way up on a ledge near my ceiling fell about 3 ft onto the plane, which was sitting on top of a bookshelf. I fixed the stabilizer in the manner dragon53 noted, using metal pins for extra support. I also once had the wing hinge break on my Flight 19 Avenger. In that instance, I simply decided to glue the wings on the plane in place. It means they can't fold, but now have the proper dihedral and feel stronger... Also once had my Atlantic Avenger take a plunge. A stabilizer cracked off as did a landing gear strut, but amazingly the prop and wings remained undmaged. The other parts were easy to fix...
How do you open the tail to put in the figure
whats up doc....

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:37 pm

BD1, if I get your question correctly, to access the rear compartment of the 21c TBF Avenger to place a figure in the ventral position, there are a couple different methods:

1) Insert the figure through the little door on the starboard side of the aircraft. (I always thought this opening door was a cool little feature :wink: )

2) Remove the turret completely to access to the rear compartment. Follow these steps:

Pull the turret canopy piece off by elevating the gun and carefully pulling the canopy upwards. It sometimes helps to have the main canopy removed as well. The main canopy is also removable, though I didn't do it here.

Next unhook the turret seat by gently pushing the pegs on either side of the turret out of their supports mounted to the fuselage.

The turret is now removed and you can access the interior better.

21c even detailed some of the radio equipment in this section. Further towards the tail (unseen in these pics) they have the machine gun and flare chutes also detailed.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:21 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

Any suggestions on the metal pins you used for your Avenger?
My Avenger stabilizer is a clean break with both tabs stuck in the fuselage.

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:32 pm

dragon53 wrote:TMANTHEGREAT:

Any suggestions on the metal pins you used for your Avenger?
My Avenger stabilizer is a clean break with both tabs stuck in the fuselage.
I have used common sewing pins. Just cut the head off to the desired length. I leave the pointed end on, that helps to insert in hole. Glue with super glue.

Ray

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:10 pm

RMOORE456:

Thanks for the tip.
I once tried to cut the tip off of a straight pin to use as a replacement pitot for a 1/72 F-14. But the pin only left a dent in the blade of the cutting tool. I didn't realize pins were that strong.
Maybe I'll try it again if I can find something with a stronger blade.

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:00 am

I have used aluminum TIG welding rod with great success. I can be had in 1/16" and 3/32" in the smaller sizes. soft and easy to cut, and works well. I have used the 1/16" size to repair prop blades. Can be had at welding supply shops. Not very expensive, and sold by the pound, which is far more than you will ever need for model repairs. There are lots of uses for soft aluminum wire around the house !!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:44 pm

I just cut out the straight part of the wire from a large paper clip... It may work to have a longer, slightly heavier-gauge wire for better support, but the paperclip section worked for me.

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:05 pm

dragon53 wrote:RMOORE456:

Thanks for the tip.
I once tried to cut the tip off of a straight pin to use as a replacement pitot for a 1/72 F-14. But the pin only left a dent in the blade of the cutting tool. I didn't realize pins were that strong.
Maybe I'll try it again if I can find something with a stronger blade.

I use a small bolt cutter.

Ray