Improved BBI Marines Dream Corsair

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Improved BBI Marines Dream Corsair

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:42 pm

Lemme know what y'all think.

This is my first custom I'm posting. Hope I did the posting right. I didn't succeed in loading the pictures very well so I added the link below to my album.

This is actually the second custom I have done. My first custom, which was actually my first XD purchase, is my Checkerboard VMF-115 Corsair. I will post the pics of them soon.

Always loved the Marines Dream Corsair. Saw it at an airshow several years ago. I was never satisfied with BBI's rendering so I thought I'd try to paint mine to reflect reality. There's only one step left for me to actually make this plane a finished product. And that is correcting the "always incorrectly painted" oil cooler inlets on the wing roots. Seems every BBI Marines Dream Corsair I have ever seen has these painted as if some other factory painted them seperately, shipped them to the main Corsair factory, bypasses QA because they don't care, and then get attached to the wings. I've gotta mix the right mixtures of paint and airbrush them to match the rest of the wings' surfaces.

Here's a rundown of what I've done.
1. I coated the canopy windows with Future.
2. Landing gears are now white and the shock absorber silver
3. Inside paneling of main and rear landing gear bay doors are white
4. Arrestor hook is now white with alternating black stripes
5. Engine bay painted as close as I could to the real plane's engine given what BBI gives you.
6. The spinner and hub were matched as best as I could.
7. The center hub of the main landing gear wheels are blue.
8. The venting hoses on the fuel tanks are graphite/blue with bright blue couplings.
9. The Marines Dream Corsair doesn't carry rockets but I came across a Corsair that was up for sale on Provenance Sales several months ago and it had the most unique painted fake rockets. They looked like bullets. Copper with silver tips. So I did it too.
10. I also hollowed out the rear of the rockets and painted the hardpoints intermediate blue to match the wing and also painted the strapping chrome.

You'll also run across an XD Stuka in that album. Just finished applying the Vexillarius swastika decal to the tail.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brycekoch ... e2&.src=ph
Last edited by Black Lion VF-213 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mccarthy1028
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mccarthy1028 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:53 pm

great job, looks nice

Jackson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Jackson » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:54 am

Last edited by Jackson on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:50 am

Thanks McCarthy and Jackson for your props. Glad y'all like the Corsair!!

My next custom to do will be much more involved than this. I already have the Block Island Corsair still in its box. But I don't like this version. I'm going to transform it into the Ira Kepford version. I have the 21st Century 2nd release Kepford version. It's okay, but it's not a BBI Corsair. Just gotta get started on it. Unfortunately I don't have all the decals I need yet.

Rebel Battle Cry. Ahh I figured out your latin expression!!

Jackson, I hear you have connection to some serious custom decals. Do you think you can conjure up some Kepford decals in 18 scale??

Thanks man

Jackson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Jackson » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:47 am