Somali F51D

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

Somali F51D

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:22 pm

Finally got this one repainted this weekend. One less project on my to-do list.

After the Italians pulled out in 1960, they gave the Somali AF 8 Mustangs. These served until 1968 until the MiGs starting coming. Somalia was at war with Kenya during this time, but no one has found any proof these were used in any operations.

The tough part about this guy is there is only one picture of it on ACIG.org, and that's based on some Portuguese model kit from the 70's. Also, this is the first time I've tried using the pastels with alcohol. Usually I use water, and they end up getting washed out under the Dullcote. So, this one turned out heavily weathered, which I figure isn't too bad, since many of the Africa air forces have poor maintenance records.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:57 pm

Good work! I like how you chose an obscure Mustang paintscheme. Its pretty funny, but there were many small nations using Mustangs, P-47s, and other WWII vintage fighters well into the 1970s. A number of those fighters have since fallen into the hands of collectors. I wonder what ever happened to the Somali Mustangs?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:53 am

Nice work & the treatment you gave this Mustang certainly makes it look like it`s been round the block a fair few times.

Nice work indeed mate :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:43 am

Oh yeah, one disclaimer :oops:

The checkerboard on the nose isn't correct. But, I liked the checkerboard and couldn't bring my self to paint over it, so I decided to leave it.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Somali AF

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:41 am

You've probably already seen this but..."A few aircraft, most probably eight, that had served with the ‘Squadriglia Caccia Aviazione Somalia’ based at Mogadiscu (Somalia was an Italian colony until 1960) were handed over to the newly formed Somalian Air Force after the P-51’s were struck off charge; but photos and further information are still elusive."
According to other sources, the eight F-51's were serialed 59 thru 68 (not all numbers were used). Follow-on aircraft like the MiG-15 were coded "CC" in front of the serial, so this might have also been used (or started) with the F-51. All of their F-51's were definately ex-Italian Mustangs.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:34 am

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_188.shtml

Pretty much, this is the only photo or drawing I've ever been able to find for this bird. Later on, I may try to find more details specific to the Italian Mustangs, but for right now the paint is good enough for me. :wink:

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:05 pm

Nice job!!!!---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]