A BBI Corsair landing gear fix? Anyone know?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Flytiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

A BBI Corsair landing gear fix? Anyone know?

Post by Flytiger » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:11 am

Despite the really nice finish and details on the latest white-checkerboard Marine Corsair, mine came with the main gear and wheels reversed, i.e., the port gear is on the starboard wing and vice versa.

Which means if you want the model to display with the wheels and tires on the outside of the strut (proper configuration) you have to turn the strut so that the "knee" is pointing forward, which of course, is backwards.

All I have to do to fix this is swap the two struts, but of course, they're on some kind of spring/retraction mechanism and seemingly can't just be pulled out and then pushed back into the wing they belong in.

Anyone else have any experience in taking the thing apart and swapping the gear?

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:24 am

Flytiger,

This may or may not help, as I have not tried this maneuver, but the landing struts seem to be mounted with a philips head screw at the top of the piviot point and can be seen if looking at the gear retracted with the strut cover off....you might be able to get a small "L" shaped screrw driver (or bend one in a vise) in there and remove the screws and swap the left for the right....maybe.

all the best
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.