Need some Help!!! with Krylon Acrylic clear coat

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Need some Help!!! with Krylon Acrylic clear coat

Post by VMF115 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:30 am

I was thing of adding Krylon Acrylic clear coat to my Bbi F-18 Jolly Rogers, Does any one think that might be a good idea? I wonder what it would look like?

And would Krylon Acrylic clear coat do any good fixing any scratches on the clear canopy?

Thank you
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:37 pm

Go with the Krylon Acrylic clear. I shot my Blue Angels Bug with it..... it really brings the plane to life. As for the canopy, if the scratches aren't too deep get some Future floor wax and dip the canopy in it. Clean the plastic well first and try not to touch the part until it is dry. If you screw it up, wash the wax off and try again. This will give the part a nice smooth, clear finish.

Have fun!

-Rob

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:50 pm

As for the canopy, if the scratches aren't too deep get some Future floor wax and dip the canopy in it. Clean the plastic well first and try not to touch the part until it is dry. If you screw it up, wash the wax off and try again. This will give the part a nice smooth, clear finish.
Excellent advice from Rob here.... I've been using Future since the days when I actually used to assemble models, the stuff works great and produces a hard, crystal clear finish that will amaze you. One word of caution, try not to apply it too liberally, it tends to run. Dipping is ok for small canopies if you allow the excess to just drip off.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:12 pm

ostketten wrote:
As for the canopy, if the scratches aren't too deep get some Future floor wax and dip the canopy in it. Clean the plastic well first and try not to touch the part until it is dry. If you screw it up, wash the wax off and try again. This will give the part a nice smooth, clear finish.
Excellent advice from Rob here.... I've been using Future since the days when I actually used to assemble models, the stuff works great and produces a hard, crystal clear finish that will amaze you. One word of caution, try not to apply it too liberally, it tends to run. Dipping is ok for small canopies if you allow the excess to just drip off.

I was thinking of using cotton balls, I seen the trick used on leather boots when I was in the army.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!