Painting Figures

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:01 pm

Most deffinitely use acrylics!!! The plastic used on XD figures is soft and will react with enamel paints, remaining sticky and never fully drying. I learned that the hard way, and with a rare Viet Name figure to boot :?

As for a specific brand, I would recommend Tamiya or Testors. Tamiya is a little more expensive, though both paints are good. I guess it really depends on the selection you find at your local hobby store. At my local Hobbytown USA store for example, there is a far better selection of Testors acrylic paints than Tamiya, so those are what I go with.

Hope this helps :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

billgiff
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by billgiff » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:07 pm

From my model building experience and 1/18 custom work, I've found that Polly Scale Paint works the best. Tamiya makes a good paint but it can be frustrating to work with. It can only be dillutted with it's thinner and it may not want to cover on certain material. Polly on the other hand is also acrylic but dillutes with water and covers very well. There is also a better selection of Polly paints which is actually made by Testors. They are both water clean up but I perfer Polly.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:33 pm

Another good one is Model Master acryllics. I've used them on Marauders guns, like the grips, and they've been surprisingly durable. Only time I've had probs with them is on custom figs using CORPS parts. They haven't stood up to handling and posing as much as I would have liked.