F404-GE-402 EPE Upgrades

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

F404-GE-402 EPE Upgrades

Post by MiG29K » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:11 pm

So before I head off for another Thursday night of hooliganism with the dudes and the gals, I decided that I'll post up the first phase of the "Engine Fix" to the F/A-18. I seem to have an issue with quitting. I dremeled out those "Ron Popeil Food Processor" looking blades when I first bought the plane. I figured that spray painting the inside Ultra-Flat Black would keep me happy. EEENT. Wrong Answer. Now to the Engines. The easily identifiable difference between the F404-GE-402 Upgraded engine that was installed post-1991 to all C and D Model Hornets and retro-fitted to some A models vs the original is the White Ceramic Plates inside the Engine Nozzle. The engine is much more powerful and lighter than the previous model. I've built up the Ceramic Plates and although I could leave it like this, I think I will add the internal face of the afterburner system. Stay tuned for more. (Click on center mouse wheel to move around entire image)

Last edited by MiG29K on Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:56 pm

Are you planing to put model rocket engines in there?!

Damn you are going far with this!

I guess you have the most detailed F-18 out there, damn good job, what else are you going to do with that F/A-18?
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:17 am

Wow Rob,that`s fantastic work & must have been akward at times?

MOTH,
He`s NOT putting Model Rocket engines in his F/A-18. Rob`s actually working on 1/18th scaled accurate F/A-18 engines to keep inline with the rest of this WONDERFULL model :D LOL

You are right those,this HAS TO be one of the Most accurate & detailed aircrafts out there at this scale,closely followed by folkwulf of course :D

I`m just waiting for someone to make a 1/18th AV-8 Harrier. I`m going to get Rob to make the damn thing actually work :D HAHAHAHA

Outstanding work Rob as always. Your`s certainly IMHO a Top of the range customizer mate :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by INTREPER » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:08 am

Insane! Absolutely insane!!!

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

combustibles...

Post by MiG29K » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:59 am

As tempting as it would sound, building working engines to this plane may just be another recipe for disaster... Kind of like the time I nearly got splattered trying to blow up a mash potato-like cow patty in the middle of a field out in the Italian countryside. The instant I put in the "Minerva" (A small but very powerful crayon-sized firework found in Italy) into the pile I had barely gone around the corner of the abandoned brick shack when it went off spewing all kinds of matter in all directions. Luckily I didn't get hit but it sure as hell pissed my best friend off because He barely got hit. So as far as making a working engine tha runs off lighter fluid or Cooking Oil...HA HA I WISH... I'd be better off avoiding anything that involves combustion! So No, no rocket engines on this puppy! Not sure what I'll do next. I thought I was done with this!

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:05 pm

One word Beautiful! that realy is mate i'm amazed how much detail you can achieve. Nicely done mate!!!

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:39 pm

WOW!!!!! Good stuff brother!!!
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Red..

Post by MiG29K » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:40 am

Thanks Red! Rock on!

Bruzzer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bruzzer » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:07 am

Nice Job making it in ARC. http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/
Very impressive work, Great Job!

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

hey bruzzer

Post by MiG29K » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:08 pm

Well, thanks for the 411!! and the kudos. I sent that article over 3 weeks back so after a long long sunday, it was quite the suprise! I gotta commend your very extensive collection of aircraft. I ran into your picsite by chance a month or so ago. Of particular interest is a certain Navy Flight Demonstration Team that zooms on the ceiling! I'm floored! Highly impressed I am! Now if I had to modify 7 aircraft I would be in the asylum for sure! Talk to you soon.

Rob