AN/ALQ-165 Airborne Self Protection Jammer

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

AN/ALQ-165 Airborne Self Protection Jammer

Post by MiG29K » Sun May 21, 2006 8:24 pm

On the F/A-18, one part of this unit is identifiable by the two dorsal humps to the aft of the canopy. Due to bugetary cuts the program was cancelled. However, the FY97 Defense appropriation provided $48.4M with direction that the Navy procure an additional 36 ASPJ systems with spares and support. The Navy intends to use these systems as a rotatable pool to equip three squadrons of USN/USMC F/A-18C/D aircraft (source: FAS.ORG)
The plane came sans the signature humps that are characteristic of the "C" model.
I used a plastic rod, I believe 6.4mm and at this point, basic woodworking skills translate. I cut about 2cm of rod and using an industrial grade file, sanded 3 sides at 90 degree angles, essentially forming the shape of a block. I used the Xacto blade to shape the overall profile and then to smooth off, I used a variety of sanding film from a Testors pack. Ideally, work slow because its better to take too little than too much. The approximate time to completion would be about 30 to 40 minutes. I used GOOP brand adhesive (used for household applications and piping) to adhere the pieces.

Last edited by MiG29K on Wed May 24, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

blaster_e11
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blaster_e11 » Sun May 21, 2006 11:56 pm

every post you write i wonder how many more details you can add to thes planes

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Mon May 22, 2006 12:16 am

Rob Awww man You off the meds again??? HAHAHAHA

Outstanding mate :D How the hell do you keep up with these little things to make it perfect.

All I can say is you truely have an EYE for detailing :D Though we ALL are aware of that with the undertaking you have done to this bird :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

acceptance...

Post by MiG29K » Mon May 22, 2006 11:14 am

I'm checking myself into the Betty Ford Clinic next week! ;) hahaa!!!
I'm not sure the 12 step program offered locally may work. But I'm trying Jason, I really really am!! You see, this is proof. Its a smaller project and not a convoluted one!!! :lol:
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas