Weathered Aircraft

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Weathered Aircraft

Post by warhawker » Fri May 19, 2006 7:20 am

I am wanting to display some of my 21st 1:32 Zeros in my collections but would like to give them a more realistic look to them. I have read some posting on using Alclad or Tester's Metalizer paints to give them a metal wear/tear to them. Does anyone have other suggestions on a simple techniques?

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Mon May 22, 2006 1:27 pm

Warhawker,
It depends on the extent of weathering.. I typically use a silver pencil to simulate wear on handles, walkways and edges.. If you want the heavily weathered look on worn japanese aircraft, you would almost be better off repainting the plane with the Alclad base, paint the green over, then "chipping" off the green paint or use scotch tape to remove large portions of the overcoat..
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon May 22, 2006 1:34 pm

There's always the 32x A6M3 Zero repaint with the heavily weathered green paint :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon May 22, 2006 2:10 pm

A few years ago i did a Russian P-40 I would say heavily weathered.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/974 ... 8682DfPjDG
As Hworth has, I used a silver pencil, sandpaper and just chipped some of the paint off.

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Tue May 23, 2006 7:03 am

Thanks for the tips. I wanted to avoid having to re-paint the entire plane so this past weekend I bought some silver paint, fine paint brush and a set of water colors paints. I have flaked the worn areas with silver on the Zero so far and now I am working on aging/weathering it with the water colors to give it an over all used/combat effect. I will post pics soon to get any other hints/suggestions on any further progress.