Elite Force 1/18 US Paratroops - Hanging from a ceiling

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
calibre50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Elite Force 1/18 US Paratroops - Hanging from a ceiling

Post by calibre50 » Thu May 18, 2006 3:38 pm

Howdy, I want to hang my paratroops from the ceiling. These are the guys with the cloth chute. Does anyone know of a bowl or similar object that can be used for the chute so it looks like the paras are floating to earth. I can't seem to find anything with the correct diameter, which is about 16 inches. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

paras

Post by digger » Thu May 18, 2006 4:58 pm

Guys here used wire from hangers with much success. I'm sure Tman or one of those guys will re-post their pics when they see this thread.
Good question!

digger

oh well

Post by digger » Fri May 19, 2006 3:54 pm

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat May 20, 2006 7:25 pm

Hey - you beat me to it :lol: Thanks Digger for posting my pics, I must have lost track of this thread.

The chutes were hung using a wire frame. I bent a piece of low gague (thick) wire around a large bucket into the circular shape and tied off the ends with high gague (thin) wire. Then I added a couple of semi-cirrcular cross pieces to fill out the shape. The chutes are strung through the vent opening at the top of the canopy using fishingline attached to a X-mas ornament hook so I could take the chutes down. Other board members have suggested using plastic tupperware bowls, but I like the wire frame as it doesn't stand out too much when viewed from beneath. The photos are of the BBI WWII paratroopers and would work very well with the modern ones, too :)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun May 21, 2006 9:46 am

i've also heard of cheap clear plastic bowls being used. I don't think the clear plastic would be too ovbious...should be no glare and if you get a thin enough bowl should be very unobtrusive. If you can find the right size would probably be less choresome than bending wire. BBI originally intended to put folding wire frames in with the paras to hold the chutes open but didnt......cost cutting i spose..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

calibre50
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks for all the advice. I'll pick up some wire. N/T

Post by calibre50 » Sun May 21, 2006 11:05 am

Thanks again for helping me out, John