WWII BOMBER: Cutaway Side View?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

WWII BOMBER: Cutaway Side View?

Post by Razor17019 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:25 pm

I will confess I am not a customs guy.
I can mix and match heads and equipment with figures, but that's about it.

So, I throw this ideal out to the talented customs people we have on this board. We all would like a 1/18 scale WWII Bomber, but don't have the extra garage space to house such a monster. So how about a cutaway view of say the cockpit or midsection (bombs/waist gunners) or tail gunner postion?? Something that could be mounted on a shelf or wall for display?

Has anyone toyed with this ideal in any fashion? I would love to see any designs or finished products. Again, I am one that could not accomplish this by myself. But I would be willing to trade or buy from the person that could produce a high-quality 1/18 scale version of a WWII Bomber.

I am throwing down the gauntlet, anyone picking it up? 8)
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed May 17, 2006 10:18 pm

You know, I once build a kit of a B-29 that came with a full interior and was designed to give the builder the option of displaying a cutaway side view of the inside. The only problem for our purposes is that it was a 1:48 scale bird.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu May 18, 2006 3:25 am

HPH is supposedly coming out with a kit of the nose section of a B-17. Problem is it will cost several hundred dollars. I don't know if there would be mass market appeal for bomber sections. It has been discussed before on the main board and AT's have expressed some interest in the idea.

There are a few r/c kits of bombers i know of that are 1/18 or very close. Someone with talent and patience could build an interior for one of them.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu May 18, 2006 5:27 am

I don't know if there would be mass market appeal for bomber sections.
A good point, I mean outside of a custom like Razor is talking about, the market for this sort of thing is pretty small overall I would think. A good example would be the new version BBI F-15 cockpits being offered by BadCat and a few others, they are pricey to begin with, then you still have to purchase a pilot figure to go with it. Still, they are very cool looking and the F-15 cockpit section has all kinds of neat features like removeable canopy, working panel lights/instruments and controls etc. Anyway, I took the plunge and ordered one, so we shall see. I will post some pics when the time comes, and I hope you guys will enjoy them. Images here.... http://www.modelshipbuilding.com/eaglecockpit.htm