WIP Veritech Fighter VF-1 Update FAST Question in post.

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

WIP Veritech Fighter VF-1 Update FAST Question in post.

Post by steelbonnet » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:47 pm

Hi all,

Well not really in the same league as some here reworking true 1/18th aircraft. Though I thought i`d show the BIG aircraft project I`m doing :D

Any Macross/Robotech fans will know this Aircraft very well & also know we`ve never had an accurate or close to accurate at 1/18th.
There was the Matchbox attempt at being a VF1 i`ll give points for effort though i think PTE could have done better & still been cheap :D Look at the F/A 18 after all.

So the quest i set myself when i was making my Cyclone rider was to make a Sleeker VF1 & try to get it close to scale.
I think I`m on the right track though a long one it is :D

Anyway MY WIP Veritech Fighter VF-1.

Anyway I`m turning these two:-
Matchbox/Harmony Gold version of a VF-1 (rather SQUAT isn`t it

GI JOE SKYSTRIKER (rather sleek eh)
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/83/skystr ... _iso.shtml

With BOTH these AIRCRAFTS I am making a VF-1 Though truer to the sleeker image we Robotech/Macross fans are acustomed too :D

This is what i did originally with the Skystriker just to COMMIT myself to the project (No turning back now)

TODAY I`ve been busy working on Both Airframes for what I Need :D

A leg from the Matchbox/Harmony Gold Veritech 1

With some padding out to make it look more correct IMO & also to fit better with the Skystriker body ;) Needs to be sanded down,rounded off & filler.

Next I removed the Matchbox/HG Nose-Cockpit section from it`s body

Also did the same with the SKYSTRIKER.

Quick test of New nose-cockpit with Skystriker body.

Next the wings,the VF1 has a section of the wing removed instead of the straight wing the Skystriker is.

Next i worked on the Body near the cockpit section.
Just drawn out.

With the section removed.

Quick Mock up of the rear of the VF1 i`m doing with Legs & Arm sections next to body.

I`ve worked the body & cockpit-nose section to a better fit. I want the section to be removeable as it should be. I will be extending the nose. Also another advantage of this as the nose section is the Nose wheel WILL be in the Nose,unlike the Skystriker.

Well there you go so far. A LOT of chopping today of BOTH Aircraft so there`s most certainly NO turning back......LOL
Though It`s also starting to look the part too I think :D

Still a LOT to do :D

Look forward to hearing what you think so far :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet
Last edited by steelbonnet on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:58 pm

Wow. You are a brave (and over-imaginative) man. :wink:

Nice work so far. Bet you'll have fun coming up with all the markings. :D
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:06 pm

Thank`s very much mate. In some ways I HAD to remove the rear end of the Skystriker or I would NEVER have dared start it......LOL

Now I`ve started on BOTH well no turning back now.....LOL Onwards & upwards all being well :D LOL

As for markings & colour schemes,Yes I`m doing a lot of idea bashing on that now too :D Going to be done in a custom scheme not Fokkers 001 or Hunters initial VF-1 (Brown & tan).

Also going to make a custom pilot too :D

Big project though so FAR lots of fun :D

Again Thank`s :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

ahem... daaaamn!

Post by MiG29K » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:15 pm

Mr. Bonnet...and YOU ARE CALLING ME THE SICK ONE??? Methinketh not dude!!! That is amazing what you are doing. The cut and hack virus is spreading throughout these forums! That is absolutely sick work! I can't wait to see the end result. I've seen some guy make a 1/72 scale Hornet into a transformable war machine. It was a pretty decent job. I'll have to find the site. I'm left without words! Take care JA

Rob!
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:21 pm

HAHAHAHA me Sick No Sir that`s YOU Sir :D I`m just partially Insane that`s all :D I keep one step of the Men in white ;)
This will be just a look alikey NOT a Almost "Ready to take off" that you Do mate :D

As for this I`ve always wanted a sleeker 1/18th ISH Veritech Fighter (Would love to have one that WAS a Triple changer though I`m NOT capable of that).

So with some custom work & using both these aircrafts I should be able to get something I`m after :D All being well.

I will keep this updated with work as i plod along though I think the main Chop & change IS done,it`s now the defining time of sculpting & customizing & more importantly Putting it all together :D LOL

I`d love to see the site you mentioned,you can never have enough ref material :D

Thank`s for the kind words & Well wishers just need to make sure my game face is on now knowing Your watching :D LOL

Thank`s again :D Take it easy mate :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

found it!

Post by MiG29K » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Jason,

Check it...I found it...now I have a mission to go to...(at work)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... en%26lr%3D

The guy's name is Edge Wise

R

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:31 pm

Thank`s mate :D I`ll check that out now & have a good time at work. Stinks having to go though it`s a bank Hol after all.

Ja
Steel Bonnet

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:58 pm

Looks like alot of fun!!! :D I like doing the big projects to ---but sometimes they can be a pain!!!---- I can tell this ones going to turn out pretty cool !!! :D ---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:49 am

HAHAHA You like BIG projects,No S*** LOL After how you started here we`re ALL Well aware of your projects.....LOL Outstanding they are too & Very Cleverly executed as well RED :D

I`m really hoping this will be a Fun project & the chopping didn`t cause any problems so All being well the reworking of parts 7 assembly should go well too :D

Well that`s the plan anyway......LOL

Thank`s again mate :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:58 am

Well I`ve had a few ask about the FAST pack & Tail wings (on some RT sites).
So LMK what you think using the HG VF1 on this or do you think a newer one is needed.

MOCKUP of VF1 length with FAST PACK & Tail Wings.

WITH Skystriker TAIL section next to HG VF1 tail.

Well do you think it works using the HG FAST pack & Tail wings?
LMK as I DO want input :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:51 am

Well apart from doing the mck up with the FAST pack & Tail wings.

I`ve also been using what time I could muster today for THINK TANKING & Brain Storming.

One of the things that quickly dawned on me using the HG VF1 cockpit was LACK of HEAD ROOM.

So I`ve been sketching & making all the preps for redoing the seating arrangements & also the Front Steering wheel will be getting an extentsion too (Which puts it that much closer heightwise with a Skystriker).

Anyway here`s what`s been developing:-

FIRST off Sketchs concerning Nose extension (LMK if you think it`s Good or Bad).

NEXT Here`s the accurate sketches for the cockpit reworking.

USING A MICROMAN Figure means I`ll have plenty of room if I use typical Robotech figures or Joe customs.

Shaded section is to be removed for the NEW Wheel housing.

Quick Cockpit mockup with Microman

LASTLY I want advice please. On the HG VF1 the Rifle was held my 2 sections on the fake arms like so

DO I keep that securing system or should i be daring & come up with one that doesn`t have BIG Plastic pieces sticking out when the rifle isn`t there? LMK :D

Anyway there you have it an Update so far,mainly Brainstorming as said though I`ve NOW sorted out the cockpit for better fitting for figures & also wheel extention too :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

That's not a Valkyrie, that's a Stinger!

Post by jeffrowse » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:01 am

Sorry, I've come over all (classic) Battletech :shock:

Looking good, may I ask where you got it? Sorry, them?

With respect to the gun pod, might I suggest the approach on an old Revell kit I had years ago - the handgrip sticks into a hole in the groove between the two 'boxes' so the only sign that something's missing is (funnily enough) a hole... :roll:

Do you know if anyone makes versions of the Destroids or Battroids in this size?

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:02 am

First off thank`s mate & great to hear from a Fellow BRIT :D Also a BattleTech Brit too :D Kurita Support am I 100% (same character now for 15+ years REAL TIME,is hat sad? Oh he`s still alive & fighting too :D ).

As for my project,Thank`s mate & also thank`s on the Gun Pod idea too,may look into that :D

As for where I got both the Harmony Gold Veritech fighter & the GI JOE/Action Force Skystriker. Both were got from ebay.Though i`ve seen these turn up at car boots too :D So you can pick them up cheaply :D
The old cliche "Right place, Right time".

As for Destroids/Battledroids/mecha/Mechs well actually there IS a 1/18th one out alas it`s fairly expensive. It`s made my Takara MICOMAN & called the Scopedog. It`s a pretty impressive.

After that I`m afraid it`s down to customizing i think.
Though IF it`s any consolation I`m really drooling on the idea of having a Go at a WARHAMMER aka Excalibur :D One of my ALL TIME fav mechs/Mecha :D

Again thank`s :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:26 pm

For the Tail section. Had a thought. How about the actual HG VF1 though a little longer?

For ref here`s a cardboard one I did for comparrison purposes :D

So what do you think? LMK
I`d be adapting the top of the FAST Pack so the longer tail fins still collapse too :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

You never know what you will find...

Post by jeffrowse » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:50 am

Did You Know..? :) (Quite) a few years ago, FASA produced 'blueprints' for the Locust, Wasp, Warhammer, Marauder and Battlemaster (front view only), followed a few years later by a similar thing for (IIRC) the Mad Dog (Vulture), Hellbirnger (Loki), Summoner (Thor) and Timber Wolf (Mad Cat), then finally "orthographic projection" cutaways for (again, IIRC) four of the lighter Clan 'Mechs...

Unfortunately I'm (supposed to be) moving soon so everything is packed away, but I know I've still got 'em somewhere...
Maybe a 1/18th 'Hammer isn't as unlikely as you thought..? :shock:

Cheers!

Jeff.

{A Snake, eh? Would'a figured you for one of them Steiner supporters, myself (I've "moved to" Davion territory after Kathrine's little silly session, but used to follow the True Blue until The Witch started killing off the LCAF...}

"Death to Kentarans!"

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:02 am

Well thank`s very much for that & yep knoew of the Blueprints though like the actual cloth patches there pretty hard to aquire arn`t they.
hell look at how much HOUSE dice go for. A Singel D6 with Kurita Logo on it last time I saw one £50,£50 I tell you :(

As for a "DRAGON" Supporter LOL True loyal fan to Takashi & fully aware of whatactually happened with his passing & that Theo IS responsible. So I`m doing rather well on getting on the High Commands hit list......LOL Down part is I`m more than better for DEST but turned it down. As it was offered by Theo.

Must admit once i`ve finished with this project & a couple of other Robotech one`s I`ve got in the pipe. I think so BattleTech figures & mechs may JUST be in order :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Droppin' by for a visit.

Post by MiG29K » Fri May 12, 2006 10:39 pm

Well Well Jason,

I think we know who the SICK really is... JUST HOW MANY projects are you working on at once?? I cannot even keep up with you... Its bad enough the working on one project for me give me enough Attention Deficit Disorder! How do you do it? If I was some sort of Intel Agent and I was assigned to overwatch your doings....I would FAIL miserably hahaaaa!!!! I decided to drop by and admire my Comrade's project and noticed that a lot has changed since we've last talked about this. I can't wait for this one to be completed. I know...after this we still have that joint operation to work on: Converting a 1:18 Hornet into a Macross Robot Fighter! HA!! If thats the case, then I probably should get working on scavenging up a British Airways Ticket. Do you plan on painting it some sort of Lo-Viz Camouflage? orrr mimicking a Naval Squadron Insignia or Keepin' it Macross? Oh yeah, we can probably make a 'shooting' ejection seat using parts from a ball point pen. Anyhow, you're probably in some hidden complex owned by the Ministry Of Defense ...or maybe hidden in the wild Brecon Beacons eh? working on your this Black Project! I'll catch you tomorrow and check up on your DPV project!

Rob!

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sat May 13, 2006 2:16 am

Hi Rob,

Thank`s for dropping by & seeing how far it`s got :D

I`ve got the VF1 on hold till I`m done with some commission work then I`ll be jumping back onto it.

Though Yes I do run too many projects at once,main reason is to be like Star Treks Scotty & look like a Miracle worker :D HAHAHAHAHA

Must admit the F/A18 Macross project would be a hoot :D
As for colour scheme on the VF1 I`m leaning to LOW VIS :D

Thank`s very much mate :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Sun May 14, 2006 11:11 pm

:D --- 8) ---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jeffrowse » Mon May 15, 2006 5:18 am

Dug out the BattleTech Blueprints at the weekend (there are a few advantages to moving house after all! :D ), according to the data box in the bottom corner they're all drawn to 1/20th scale... Since there aren't that many Originals for people to check against, I should be able to adjust the cockpits enough to fit 1/18th crew :)

Unfortunately they are only really front-view only , although that is right-side external and left-side "naked" (ie without armor - what did you think I meant? :shock: ) so there's plenty of work I could do if I felt mad enough.
Unfortunately I've seen the works of Mig, Steelbonnet et al and think I'll just stick with the armor plate...
Of course, the lack of side or top elevations on the "plans" is not the problem it could be since I've got most of these things as (approx) 1/300th metal miniatures as well! Not to mention the number of pics with different views.

As a rough size guide, I held one of the sheets against the BBI Hornet and it came to near the back of the base of the fin; since it is 1/20th instead of 1/18th, I guess a "proper" scale replica would come out Hornet nose to end of tailplane, if not slightly bigger.

I'll see if I can persuade 'Er Indoors to let me off some of the unpacking and lend me her digital camera to take some pics when (if?) I get this thing started...

I'll probably start with the Warhammer since it's probably the "square-iest" of them all, but the other choices are the Battlemaster, the Locust, the Marauder and the Stinger... (for those of you familiar with other anime/manga sources, you might recognize them better as... Robotech 'Excaliber'/Macross 'Tomahawk' (Warhammer), Crusher Joe 'Ostall' (Locust), Robotech 'zentradai officer pod' (Marauder) and Robotech Valkyrie VF-1A/Macross Veritech Fighter (Stinger).)

Watch this space... " "

Jeff.

"Hastur? Hastur? Is there a Hastur in the house? Oh, bugg-AARRGGHH!"