M41 Walker Bulldogs mods

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

M41 Walker Bulldogs mods

Post by ostketten » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:45 pm

Hi all, I am doing some painting mods on my 1/18th Walker Bulldog tank and I am considering whether or not to try and re-paint the tracks which in my opinion look awful and nothing like the real thing in any of the pics I have seen, or in real life at museums and such. I was wondering if anyone has some experience in painting the tracks on any 21C 1/18th model, and I would appreciate any and all comments and/or suggestions. I was considering an acrylic spray of the "Rust-oleum" type, mainly because I've heard that the acrylics are less prone to cracking, especially on tracks that people want to roll. I don't want to roll mine, I just want them to look better than the awful brown color that they are at the moment. Thanks.

mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

tank tracks

Post by mediump » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:32 pm

well ya know we haven't really experimented to much with the walker but on most of our WWII tanks we have figured out that" modge podge" WILL STICK AND BOND WITH ANY THING sand,mud, grass ,alll three mixed the possibilities seem endless, as far as painting tracks we love spraypaint you can mist it make it thick use different color schemes again endless(like this run on sentence) hope this helps a little.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:01 pm

Thanks. I guess I will probably have to test out a small area on the track with the kind of paint I intend to use, and see how it measures up, the main thing is I don't want to ruin the tracks, that would be disastrous. Anyway, I have a fair amount of experience in 1/35 armor kit building so If I approach this cautiosly I may be able to come up with a workable solution. I think the key with spraying the tracks (assuming that I can find a paint that will adhere well) might be not getting the paint on too thick, and that may require several light coats. If anyone else has experience in this area please share it, it will be greatly appreciated.