Question for Mig 29K

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Question for Mig 29K

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:21 pm

Dude....I'm getting the urge to cut something up. I was wondering if you have thought of modding the canopy frame, both forward and aft portions. The deck behind the ejection seat is too plain for my tastes and needs detailing. Any thoughts on the canopy actuators and the canopy frame itself? I haven't cut the nose off yet, but I got some ideas for the radar tray. The gunbay may be much more difficult because of the screws and bracing inside the fuse nose. Also, have you considered accurizing the nose gear bay doors? I warned you....you've created a monster here!
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Folk

Post by eddie372 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:35 pm

Not to worry Folk, I've already cut two of my airplanes!! :lol:
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

This is getting bizarre!! I've been looking into that

Post by MiG29K » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:07 pm

Folkewulfe,

When I read the first two lines about the cockpit deal, I was thinking..NO WAY...he wants to build a second seat to convert his Hornet into a 'D' Model! (Wouldn't that be bad ass?) Then I read on about 'detailing' and the actuators. Well, I've been thinking about it on and off for about a couple weeks and was thinking of starting today - but I have some stuff to do. I have one book that is sort of a "Walk Around" type book and it has detailed pics of the actuator system. I've also referenced other pictures and material. Right now it is in the planning stage. I have it all mapped out in my head - the basic framework and mechanics. Soo that said, I will funnel your way my plans and ideas and if you have any input..hell...this sounds like a Joint Operation!!! I was watching the discovery channel the other day about the Navy's newest SWATH vessels and ship design. They discussed a concept called "DESIGN BUILD" which is where no blueprints or prelim drawings are done but rather everything is done by the seat of their pants and I laughed because that's how I've been doing my Mods to the Hornet. By the seat of my pants, no sketches. When people ask me how I do stuff, I have to think backwards and draw the process AFTER the fact. The only exception to this rule was the airbrake. For the airbrake, I made a 'paper model' of the floor (I posted the pic on a previous thread) section because I needed to check design feasibility. From there, I made the actual plastic version and the rest was history. I will give you up to date info of where I am at and we can do the construction simultaneiously. Sound good? Here is also the link to my second picture album for the bbi Hornet and I'll include the first one so you can reference any mods for the plane. I'll catch up with you soon!

The FIRST album (w sub albums) http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/HORNET_2006/

The SECOND set (where I will be posting the lastest) http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/HORNET_2006_2/

Happy Easter Dude!

Rob
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

PS. Landing Gear Doors... bbi F-18

Post by MiG29K » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:17 pm

Folkewulfe- I left this out in my reply.... sorry!

I mod-ed the nose gear and rear bay doors... It was the third project and I think I worked on those back in late Summer.

Here is the Front Landing Gear modifications complete with Carrier Approach Lights and Hydraulic Steering Unit:

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Close!

Post by Folkwulfe » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:53 pm

Dude...if you only knew how close to right you were. I first started drawings and details pictures for a B/D conversion, but I realized that the soft plastic would be near impossible to work with. I still haven't dropped the idea of a two-seater, but I just don't see it happening right now. If BBI reissues, I will definately be looking to "Frankenstein" a couple to make a B/D version. For this one, I'll settle for not-so-dramatic. I still haven't gotten the nose cone off. Every night for the past three nights I've cut a little here, slice a little there (bandades in short supply!) but the nose is rubbery at best and I don't want to overcut, or worse, tear it off. I've even considered vacu-forming a two-part shell as a replacement (still looking at that one). I'll send you pics when I get it off (soon!) so you can see the interior structure. I totally missed the nosegear door and mains door mod you did. Get pics...Great job.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Hey Lonestar...

Post by MiG29K » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:17 pm

Hey Folkwulfe...

Well I started the actuator for the canopy assembly but I still have questions as to how the maneuvering arm / actuator behaves when opened and closed. I don't have any video references and the pics I've seen do not yield a clue. I will post a question on that shortly. Here is what I have so far. The only part I am not happy with is the actuator arm because I think it may be a bit larger than it should be. Here are some pics...the full set can be had at this link:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/ ... 0Actuator/

So I'm going to keep researching more info regarding the actuator and arm movement. I want to get a good look at the unit in the 'closed' position. Any ideas? Or sources? Hit me up later...

Rob

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:45 am

WOW I am just Speech less.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!