1:18 HIGGINS BOAT

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

1:18 HIGGINS BOAT

Post by RED » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:22 am

Hey guys I new to the forum so I'am sorry I'am haveing a little trouble posting pics BUT I wanted to just give y'all a little perview of a higgins boat I'am working on too.I'am trying to put together a fun history book for my friends kid (who thinks history is dumb-HIS WORDS NOT MIND-).So I chose to do the 2nd MARINE DIVISION and to use 21st Century grunts to do all the work.The only problem is 21st Century doesn't make LVT's or Higgins boats (shame on them)so I had to make my own.I hope to have a few more pics during the week.Thanks-- RED -- Image[/img]Image
Last edited by RED on Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:44 am

Again WOW AWESOME work on the Higgins boat.

Your Marines has the Landing capabilities sorted I see now with th Higgins & LVT :D

So you making a Landing craft Tank too,so they have armour support?

Also the ship the Marines are disembarking from,what the hell is that? You didn`t make a 1/18th troop carrier too did you???

OUTSTANDING work mate :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

blaster_e11
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blaster_e11 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:35 am

as ja said, it's awesome !

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:49 am

Welcome to the board!

To create a Higgins Boat is Awesome, but if you could do a LST-WOW :shock:

I would be BIG money for either. But it would be great to have an LST.
My Grandfather served on a LST in the Pacific.

Greatest thrill of recent times was taking him (he is in his 80's with new knees!) aboard the LST that was found in Greece about 2000-2001 and fixed up and sailed to US shores. It was in Indiana a few summers ago. He got to go aboard and climb the ladders (new knees!) and show us everything he did. He was like a kid again. It was great because he would say, "Oh, that's not how it really looked." or "That's what we had". We also got a story or two to go with our tour. So, I got the lowdown on how well the LST had been restored. Of course, they are still working on it and depends on the amount of donatations.

Sorry to go on, but it would be SUPERFANTASTIC to see a LST in 1/18 scale.
Last edited by Razor17019 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

digger

cool

Post by digger » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:38 am

Welcome - Great work there.:D
I am not one to embark upon or even recommend a scratch build but the one thing I could see doing is a Higgins boat. I love building the forces so a landing craft would be too cool, and I don't see one happening (shame).

Hopefully you turn that kid around :wink:
And Razor - that's a great story.

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:07 am

Razor That is indeed a great story mate & wish I got to know either of my Grandfathers.
My Mother`s father served in Africa,Pacific & alas was killed in the korean war in when my mum was very young.

My Father`s father also died when my father was a child.He served in Europe.

So to have a Grandfather,who can share his experiances with his Grandkids is Fantastic.

Must admit having the new knee`s is probably a great boost to life for him too :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:51 am

Great job on that ship and the Higgins boat! Thats one of the largest full-size customs I've yet seen, and the 21c Marines look great on it. I'v thought about making a Higgins boat eventually. It doesn't seem too hard, given the angular nature of the boat...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by INTREPER » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:04 pm

That picture of them looking out ahead is awesome!!!

DVSk89
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DVSk89 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:58 pm

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:02 am

Hey y'all- thanks again-RAZOR great story-I had 1 grandfather in Europe and the other in the Pacific.My grandfather in the ETO was in a engineer company in the 13th ARMORED DIVISION-he talk about stuff he had seen and did and what little action he saw. My grandfather who was in the PTO was in a infantry company in the 2nd MARINE DIVISION-he saw alot of action but never talk about it. So you are very lucky to get to go on a LST with your grandfather-again great story!! I think a 1:18 LST might be a little to big (but it would be cool as hell). I have thought about building the front of a LST with doors open and some shermans comeing out for a few dio pics- so maybe one day??--STEELBONNET--No I didn't build a 1:18 troop carrier just part of one--LOL-- and it was a big undertakeing!!! Here is a few pics of the deck hope you like them too!! thanks again --RED-- Image[/img]ImageImage[/img]
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:09 am

Red the last 3 photos don`t show looks like you got the wrong way round & that`s caused the problem?

ja
Steel bonnet

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:24 am

Working now :D

WOW there Bloody Amazing & so lifelike too :D I`ve used the term lifelike in the past on 1/6th stuff though rarely on 1/18th & this just goes to show you How Fantastic 1/18th scale truely IS :D

WOW you can truely believe you HAVE built a whole troop ship for these Marines.
Outstanding Job mate OUTSTANDING.

As I don`t have any of the marines myself,these the actual heads of the marines or some of your custom work? Cause if these are the marines as is,I`m going to HAVE to get some :D
If your sculpting,you do casts of them?

Ja
Steel Bonnet

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:00 am

STEEL BONNET--Thanks again-- YES these are the actual heads that the Marines come with!!!! I think they are the S1 Marines -- these Marines have the best heads-- the other Marines (in camo) are repaints and the skin tone is off!! The skin tone on these Marines makes them look like they have a sunburn-- I think these Marines have the best looking heads and hands(skin tone wise) that 21C has put out!!!! Hope to have some pics of the higgins boat tomorrow. Thanks --RED--

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:28 am

Red,
WOW!
You stuff is amazing!!!
The navy guy in the higgins boat in the first pic at top. Tell us how you made him, please.

I think you are very right about the guys that went to war and saw action are the ones that don't talk much about it. I can remember not to long after I stated collecting XD stuff, I was asking my Grandpa ,"So, did you see much action" You know the typical stupid question us non-military, never seen combat guys ask... :oops: He told me the job of his LST was to get the troops and tanks on the shore of an island and get back off again. On one of the islands he was delivering his cargo to, he saw another LST going into disembark it's cargo on the island. The Japanese were in the treeline using mortars to trying to disrupt the landings. He told me he saw the LST's stern blown off. Without the stern and the anchor to pull the LST back off the beach the LST and men were done for.
He stopped, a tear welled up in his eye and he couldn't tell me anymore and I didn't push him. I could see in his eyes he was back at that island still fighting that war. There is a human limit that has to be respected when talking with vets. He also can not stand any Japanese made vehicle. Which given the circumstances, I don't blame him.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

digger

cool

Post by digger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:07 am

Great, great stuff. I agree that the S1 Marines have great skin tone and battle hardened features. It is always tough army building when some guys look like they just crawled out from under a rock and others are cherry red. :oops:

Question - sorry if this has been asked - how did you get the straps to stay on the weapons? What did you use? Thanks! :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:51 am

Love the troop carrier. Can you take another picture of it showing the whole thing that you built? I'd like to see it and get some ideas from it. Great work, Red.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:05 am

Hey y'all 1st DIGGER--The slings are made from leather that I got at a craft/hobby store and all I did was cut about a inch or so and super glud it to the rifle.I couldn't get it to work on the M-1 Carbine's to well. 2nd RAZOR--The Navy guy is a old G.I.Joe that I changed heads with a 21C guy and painted his orange life vest gray.3rd AFERGUSON--I should be able to post some pics of the troop carrier by this weekend.It was pretty easy to do after I knew how I was going to work on it but painting it took some time.I thank y'all again--RED--

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:31 am

Hey y'all-- heres a few more pics of my HIGGINS boat. Hope this helps with anyone who wants to build for themself. Thanks--RED-- Image[/img]ImageImage[/img]ImageImage[/img]Image I hope one day to build a hull so she will float-- RED--

blaster_e11
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blaster_e11 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:33 am

the details aer amazing, you did a gerat job and you had a great idea sharing these pics with us

thanks

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:39 am

BLASTER--Thanks alot--I hope more people will post more of there custom work too!!Again thanks alot!!--RED--

DVSk89
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DVSk89 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:57 am

WOW!!---thats all i can say

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:51 am

RED,
Bloody Hell mate the Higgins Boat is Amazing pure & simple,it`s Amazing.

The attention to detail is very sharp.
You Sir are truely a welcome addition to this wonderfull site :D Very refreshing ideas too :D

Thank You so much for sharing these with us all :D

ja
Steel Bonnet

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:13 am

troop ship!
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:53 am

AFERGUSON--Heres some pics of the troop ship--its not much, I built it just to take a few pics and I was going to take it apart and put it up. The base is a little table I made out of scrap wood, the wood deck is a floor that was attended to go into a doll house, and the rest is stuff I found at work that I added on for looks!!Hope this helps--Thanks--RED-- Image[/img]Image[/img]ImageImage[/img]ImageImage[/img]

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:11 am

WOW now that`s table camo at work :D

That is superb RED. You say it`s NOT much but that`s bloody awesome mate & very inventive :D

I`d say keep that as it would work really well as a permanent display piece :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet