Making a 1/18 Vietcong Sampan Boat

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Making a 1/18 Vietcong Sampan Boat

Post by granch » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:41 am

Only balsa wood, cement, sanding paper, paint, fabric rope, iron wire and fine bamboo sticks from the garden-center, less than 20$. Really cheaper than the Verlinden 1/35 VC Sampan... Plus some accessories, as I like to make functional models, so I needed an outboard motor and a battery holder, not useful in a static display (my boat has also paddles). I started with a single hull side sketch, as you can see in the following pics, where you can find more explanation. Have a look here http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... =1&t=37055 for the final result at sea.
It was relatively simple to make, so, if you want to go on with a sampan for your vietnam diorama... Remember that river sampan have a lower hull. Because all the planks are curved, you will have to sand the bottom of the hull sides to get a flat model, this has to be done of course before you cement the ground plank.

normandy
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Making a 1/18 Vietcong Sampan Boat

Post by normandy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Granch that is outstanding work! Neat and clean details on the
wood work and adding ballast... makes the boat sit just right in the water,
very nicely done. :salute:
I know your from Switzerland but you must be part Viking :wink:

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Making a 1/18 Vietcong Sampan Boat

Post by granch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:56 am

Thank you Normandy,
but perhaps more Celt than Norman: I'm now on making a "Sinagot" sailing boat from Brittany and studying how to make a Curragh from Ireland...
Cheers, Chris