how to repair broken avenger folding wing

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

how to repair broken avenger folding wing

Post by dannyc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:43 pm

well its taken around two years but my Avenger I bought from Coreyeagle finally had one of the wing hinges break. I was wondering if any of you guys repaired or strengthened the wings on yours and how did you do it if you were able to. any help would be appreciated

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: how to repair broken avenger folding wing

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:48 am

Danny, I’ve had this happen before and there really isn’t a way to fix the hinge. When the hinge broke on one of my Avengers (a Flight 19 FT-28 version) I would up gluing the wing back in place using CA glue and then glued the other unbroken wing for good measure. While the wings on that plane no longer fold, they do not have the sag anymore and look better :wink:

Another thing to watch out for as the original 21st-produced Avengers age is the tail wheel. The hinges (pegs) on that part are actually pretty thin and can break. There isn’t an easy way to fix for that part either that will restore it to its functionality and strength.

I’ve always been disappointed with the wing design on the 21st Avenger. I know they were going for accuracy, but the design meant the wings usually sagged and the plastic was weak. Really, 21st should have made the hinges out of metal and designed the wing so that it kept more dihedral when extended. It might have meant sacrificing some accuracy, but would have made a more durable model...

All that said, if you decide you just want a new Avenger, some retailers still have the Flight Wing re-release from a couple years ago in stock. As the tooling is identical to the 21st model, it still has all the same issues (plastic wing hinges, sagging wings, etc.) but at least provides another way to get a new plane without paying big bucks on eBay!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:06 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Danny, I’ve had this happen before and there really isn’t a way to fix the hinge. When the hinge broke on one of my Avengers (a Flight 19 FT-28 version) I would up gluing the wing back in place using CA glue and then glued the other unbroken wing for good measure. While the wings on that plane no longer fold, they do not have the sag anymore and look better :wink:

Another thing to watch out for as the original 21st-produced Avengers age is the tail wheel. The hinges (pegs) on that part are actually pretty thin and can break. There isn’t an easy way to fix for that part either that will restore it to its functionality and strength.

I’ve always been disappointed with the wing design on the 21st Avenger. I know they were going for accuracy, but the design meant the wings usually sagged and the plastic was weak. Really, 21st should have made the hinges out of metal and designed the wing so that it kept more dihedral when extended. It might have meant sacrificing some accuracy, but would have made a more durable model...

All that said, if you decide you just want a new Avenger, some retailers still have the Flight Wing re-release from a couple years ago in stock. As the tooling is identical to the 21st model, it still has all the same issues (plastic wing hinges, sagging wings, etc.) but at least provides another way to get a new plane without paying big bucks on eBay!
\]
I actually have two avengers in their boxes still one of which is the flightwing HW Avenger. I think I will just do your method and find a place to display her wings unfolded since she a Bunker Hill avenger and it is my favorite of the paint schemes

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Dannyc:

Am curious as to why in your post about the broken avenger you brought my user name into it. The way you have worded it makes it sound like I sold you a broken airplane.

When I sold you this airplane it was in perfect, loose condition. The wings worked fine. Over two years have passed since I sold you this airplane. I have no idea how you handled it or mishandled it during that time period. You can say the wing hinge broke on the plane, but to bring my name into it suddenly as if to say it was broken because I sold it to you wasn't cool.

Thanks!
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:29 pm

I saw Danny's post and didn't take it the way you are, just that he got an Avenger
from a board member and after two years of displaying the wing broke.
I didn't reply because I had no idea on how to fix it.
Tmans fix sounds like the way to go, good luck with it Danny.
My Atlantic Avenger sits in a bookcase with wings folded due to lack of space....
to many tanks. :wink:

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:40 am

Coreyeagle48 wrote:Dannyc:

Am curious as to why in your post about the broken avenger you brought my user name into it. The way you have worded it makes it sound like I sold you a broken airplane.

When I sold you this airplane it was in perfect, loose condition. The wings worked fine. Over two years have passed since I sold you this airplane. I have no idea how you handled it or mishandled it during that time period. You can say the wing hinge broke on the plane, but to bring my name into it suddenly as if to say it was broken because I sold it to you wasn't cool.

Thanks!
Corey in no way was I trying to say you sold me a broken plane. The way I was trying to articulate it was I knew of the weak wing joints on the avenger for a long time and knew one day that it was possible they would give out on me. I in no way meant for it to sound like you sold me a broken plane. In fact that Avenger has been the pride of my collection.

Eddy10440
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Eddy10440 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks!
Hi Corey, I also read Danny's post and neither took it in that way.

By mentioning your name to me it was just more to point out as to which what plane he was talking about, never seem to me like he was complaining about you or to blaming you for that issue, instead he was regretting that "finally" that piece gave up, so in a way that he knew that thing will eventually happen, that's how I understood his initial post

Corey you have an excellent reputation here on this forum, nobody would doubt of your ethics, my friend.

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Eddy10440 wrote:

Thanks!
Hi Corey, I also read Danny's post and neither took it in that way.

By mentioning your name to me it was just more to point out as to which what plane he was talking about, never seem to me like he was complaining about you or to blaming you for that issue, instead he was regretting that "finally" that piece gave up, so in a way that he knew that thing will eventually happen, that's how I understood his initial post

Corey you have an excellent reputation here on this forum, nobody would doubt of your ethics, my friend.
Rereading my post I can see how some people may think I was saying it was sent already broken. But I loved that Avenger and am desperate to try and fix it, my father on the other hand further broke its top turret gun barrel when trying to fix it and has tried to tell me to sell it for parts but i want to repair her and get her back on display. I was devastated when it snapped. And I would like to say I have PM’d Corey to clear things up and would never smear a name of a friend