Finally Done - Hobby Boss FW-190A5 Kit, Josef Priller, JG-26

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Finally Done - Hobby Boss FW-190A5 Kit, Josef Priller, JG-26

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:00 pm

I recently completed the Hobby Boss 1/18 scale FW-190A-5 kit in the markings of the aircraft "Black 13/Jutta" flown by Major Josef "Pips" Priller, Geshwaderkommadore of JG-26, in May-June 1943 in France. This post pairs with my update in the "FW-190 As A Kit" thread in the 1/18 scale forum, but with a few more details about the build... I spent way too long on this model, both as a result of having to perfect the mottling technique with my airbrush (Iwata Neo CN) and because I lost interest in the model for a few months over the winter 2017/2018.

Anyways, I've posted some photos and a brief description of the build below. Enjoy :D

Cockpit Interior:
(Seat belts were spare photoetched parts from a 1/32 scale kit. Although not quite the correct type or scale I thought they would have the right effect...)

Diorama Photos
(I don't have a model of Priller's BMW 327, so a Kubelwagen had to stand in :lol: )

The historical photo of Priller's FW-190A-5, upon which this model is based:

The historic aircraft was painted in the standard Luftwaffe day fighter colors of RLM 74/75/76 with RLM 04 on the tail and underside of the engine cowling and the spinner RLM 70 green. While FW-190s typically had a patch of RLM 75 gray painted on the forward part of the upper engine cowling, from what I could determine looking closely at the historical photo and some color profiles, Priller's aircraft had the RLM 74 green running all the way to the end of the nose.

The model was painted using a mixture of different paint brands, including Vallejo RLM 02 Grau for the wheel well and gun bay interiors; Vallejo RLM 04 Gelb (yellow) RLM 76 Lichtblau (light blue), for the base and undersides; RLM 74 Graugrun (gray-green) for the green camo; Testors RLM 75 Grauviolette (gray-violet) for the gray camo as the Vallejo RLM 75 was too close in contrast to the RLM 74 green, Testors RLM 70 Schwartzgrun (dark green) for the propeller, and Tamiya German Gray for the cockpit interior. The paint was then sealed with Klear (thinned future floor wax). The decals were then applied using Micro Sol to conform them to the surfaces as much as possible, then sealed in again with Klear.

For weathering, I gave the plane a "sludge wash" to highlight the panel lines and darkened the lines in places using a colored pencil. The paint chip effect was done using the dry-brushing technique with Tamiya flat aluminum. I made the exhaust, propeller paint chipping, and fluid stains using Tamiya weathering powders. Once I had things where I wanted them, I sealed everything with Vallejo Acrylic Matte Varnish.

The canopy opens, flaps and control surfaces move, prop spins, wheels roll and the gun bay opens. I glued the gun bay shut, however, as it kept popping open and leaving a gap that looked terrible. I don't open the gun bay often on my Merit FW-190, so its no big loss. The lack of retractable main gears on the Hobby Boss kit are disappointing, but the struts are significantly thicker than on the Merit model and with careful handling should hold up just fine...

I would definitely recommend the Hobby Boss kit as a somewhat affordable and easy build for an FW-190A.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

normandy

Re: Finally Done - Hobby Boss FW-190A5 Kit, Josef Priller, J

Post by normandy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:19 am

Tman, Wonderful job on this 190!!! Your research and time spent on this project show...when one loose interest
in a project its best to put it aside. Glad you got back to it, looks great.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am

Wow!! :shock: :D 8)

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:36 am

Very nice. Great photographs also. I have only built 2 or 3 1/72 aircraft in my time. I just don't think I could handle a 1/18. That's why I like building tanks. If you may an error, just cover it up with mud or dirt. lol

YT

Post by YT » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Great work! Thanks for sharing. Your pictures are great as well!
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks everyone for the kind comments :D

This was my first time attempting a realistic Luftwaffe day fighter paint scheme and using certain weathering techniques. It took time and practice to get it right... Never mind that every color profile or box picture of Priller’s FW-190A-5 was different, even between different releases of the same kit. The Hobby Boss paint instructions were actually the most inaccurate and looked nothing like the historical photo. Hopefully my descriptions about the build above can help others. I’m glad the project is finished and that it came out well 8)

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:46 am

Excellent build tman. The camo is done quite well and model looks very detail.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:38 am

Thanks cnq :D

This was my first attempt at an accurate Luftwaffe paint job and it took a lot of trial and error and repainting to get that camoflauge and mottling accurate... It was a good learning experience and I’m really happy with the model.

I’ve actually started the Hobby Boss 1/18 FW-190A-8 kit now, which is a near identical build. On that, I’ll be doing Hans Dortenmann’s FW-190 Red 1 from JG-54. So far, the painting is going a bit easier than the Priller FW-190 did, but I hope Dortenmann’s plane will look just as good :wink:

Robc988
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Robc988 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Great job.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Something you can try on future mottling is to thin the paint a bit more than you normally would so that the layers come out thin. It will allow you to build them up to get that faded-at-the-edges look that replicates the way they sprayed in IRL.

I still use a lot of Tamiya and I have been thinning it about 3-4 to 1.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks! I was typically thinning about 50/50 with the mottles on this model, as that’s what seemed to get the best results without too much overspray or those blown-out circles... However, I have been experimenting with thinner ratios of paint on my A8 model. The problem I run into, particularly with the Vallejo/AK paints, is the paint drying on the needle after a few squirts, even when a paint retardant is used in the mix. That slows things up!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 am

Dreaded double post.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:29 am

For some reason I don't much tip-drying with Tamiya and in all honesty I have never added retardant -- even though I did get drying with Vallejo. I only use Vallejo to paint small items and figures and then I just add thinner to make it easier to brush.

When I am spraying I keep a piece of cardboard handy to occasionally spray hard on to blow out any clogs and check for splatter before pointing it at my model. It might take a little practice to find the right distance where you don't get the blow-outs. I also drop my psi to around 10 down from my usual 15-20. Some people go a little lower but my compressor doesn't do that well.

I think the advantage of the Tamiya is thinning with alcohol as it evaporates faster and you don't get the blow-out rings or spider webs. Humidity can affect it as well but I have been spraying with it in the 80's the past month with no issues.

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Outstanding Job. Can't wait to see your 163.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:32 am

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:For some reason I don't much tip-drying with Tamiya and in all honesty I have never added retardant -- even though I did get drying with Vallejo. I only use Vallejo to paint small items and figures and then I just add thinner to make it easier to brush... I think the advantage of the Tamiya is thinning with alcohol as it evaporates faster and you don't get the blow-out rings or spider webs. Humidity can affect it as well but I have been spraying with it in the 80's the past month with no issues.
[CAT]CplSlade, following g your suggestion (as well as that of another board member) I’ve been repainting my FW-190A8 model using the Tamiya paint mixes thinned with alcohol. I painted for over two hours yesterday and didn’t experience any significant tip drying or clogs using an Iwata Neo with .35mm needle. With the Vallejo I often couldn’t go 5 minutes without having to clean the tip or a clog, even with thinned paint! While I have a useful guide for mixing Luftwaffe shades with Tamiya paints, it still took some experimentation to get the colors the way I wanted.

I also got some of the new Mission Models Luftwaffe paints to try out. There have been a lot of positive reviews on those paints and I can see why - they left a very nice finish, cleaned easily enough, etc. However, the paint seemed a little thicker (even when thinned) and I felt the Tamiya was easier to work with and made finer lines. Granted I didn’t have the polyeurathane additive for the MM paints, which is supposed to further help flow on top of the thinning, but once I get a bottle of that, I may give them a second go and try them in a larger airbrush as opposed to my Neo.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:54 am

I've picked up some of the MM paints for RAF and US Navy aircraft but haven't tried them out yet. I did buy their thinner as it seemed to be highly recommended to do so.

The Tamiya doesn't seem to want to dry out like the Vallejo does; the other night I was in the middle of applying camo to an Ostwind and my wife called me in the middle of it. I left it sitting for about ten minutes and when I came back it sprayed fine like I had just mixed it up.