I still make buildings! 1/18 Netherland Brick (Now Finished)

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: I still make buildings! 1/18 Netherland Brick (Now Finis

Post by grockwood » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:37 am

What sort of tools do you use on the foam board? Leather working or wood working perhaps ?

flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Mostly just hobby knives and a heat gun. However, for the brick work I folded some brass sheeting into a square with the dimensions of a brick, soldered the seam, then filed one end sharp and put on a handle. It made basically made a punch/die. For the large bricks in the road I found a nice 1/4"x1/2" paint brush furrule (pulled all the bristles out) and sharpened the edge.

After I score the foam I pass over it with a heat gun and it opens up the scores and gives the surface a nice texture. Just be careful not to over do it.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:19 am

Thank you for the information on what tools that you use to make the bricks of the different sizes for the buildings and for the road sections. This is great info to use. I have been fascinated by the different techniques that people use to work with styrofoam and the foam boards that you have used.