WWII Airfield Diorama/Display Board

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

WWII Airfield Diorama/Display Board

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:35 pm

My work here isn't too terribly original as I was inspired by Coreyeagle48's excellent dioramas, but anyways, I went ahead and created my own diorama/display board to cover my display table. Thought I would share it here :wink: I usually have WWII aircraft out on that table, so my goal was to create a typical WWII airfield setup with mainly grass, dirt, and part of a runway. I went with a "paved" runway using model railroad turf painted gray to simulate concrete. The grass is moss padding which you can find at most craft stores with a little paint shading and dirt added. The final result is nothing fancy, but it sure livens up the planes on the display table and is useful for a variety of Allied and Axis setups. Enjoy :D

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Axis Nightmare

Re: WWII Airfield Diorama/Display Board

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:33 pm

Yes it does add so much to the models. Very well done! I have challenges ahead of me. You guys are setting the bar very high. Oh, and I also like the hidden tank bunker under the airfield. 8)

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:04 am

By the way, did somebody try with real grass still in its earth, but dried and painted? I saw in my garden that when it's late sommer, the grass isn't growing anymore as high as in spring, and it's not so difficult to remove a square slice with the showel. The grass may be a little bit too high for an airfield, but could be good for a tank diorama...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, guys!

Using some leftover items from my first airfield diorama, I made another diorama board simulating the concrete tarmac of an airfield from the WWII period and forward.

Again, I used some moss matting for the "grass" at the edge of the board and painted model railroad grass/turf material for the concrete, cut into rectangles simulate concrete slabs. Some glue stains actually worked in my favor, looking like water weathering on the concrete. I think for the next project, I'll try a field and dirt road for armor and on which I could use some of my 21c bombed out buildings.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."