What type of paint did 21st Century use on their A/C

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

What type of paint did 21st Century use on their A/C

Post by USCGMK2 » Thu May 14, 2015 7:19 pm

So, I'm trying to repaint a 1 /48 F6F Hellcat. For the past 2 weeks it has soaked in Purple Power for a week, 91% alcohol for a week, tried PolyS ELO, Easy Off, and it won't budge. Not even the glue has broken loose. Well i'm just going to sand it now, for a repaint. But i've never had issues with removing paint till I got to the Ultimate Soldier 1/48.

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: What type of paint did 21st Century use on their A/C

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu May 14, 2015 9:06 pm

Why not just hit it with primer and start fresh? The paint would probably blend better that way than trying to match the original.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Thu May 21, 2015 3:19 am

I did a couple of repaints by just wet sanding and then starting with primer. that took away the edges from the 21st Century painted details.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Most toy companies use paints that adhere to the plastics. There's actual chemical bonding. This isn't how spray paints and things work. Toy companies like to keep these trade secrets... uh... secret, basically, and not share much about them.

It's how we went from helmets wearing off the paint on an action figure's head in the 80's, to the paint on a figure today remaining no matter how often you put the helmet on/off it. It's science.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!