Playmobil goes WWII

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Playmobil goes WWII

Post by exether_mega » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:47 pm

Guys

not sure if you have already seen that but this is what we do here in Belgium with Playmobil. This is an exhibit in Bastogne relating the battle of the bulge with playmobil. I am sure all of you will recognize vehicles used on diorama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... O1DGafabRs

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Playmobil goes WWII

Post by Rylau » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:22 pm

Very nice. After viewing this you can spend about the next 10 hours checking out all the others. Rome, Carthage, Gettysburg, etc. Very creative.
Sgt. John Ray 12/8/67 Hill 172
99% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in traffic.
1% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in an ambush.
God Bless Our Troops.

ketelone
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ketelone » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:40 pm

I love the vehicles...
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:11 pm

I was disappointed. I expected to see vehicles converted from existing Playmobil toys the way people make WWII vehicles out of Legos.

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:36 am

I thought it cool.
The vehicles look great, a few Indy trucks, some 21st and was that a Grunt SdKfz 234/2 Puma
and a Pickelhaube motorcycle and sidecar?
These playmobil buildings look good with 1:18 and with just a little work (dull down the glossy plastic for one)
make for nice diorama scenes.

The one thing that disappointed me were the nazi gnomes and junior generals. :? I get it, they're playmobil
but its like a bad trip.........little roundheaded gnomes with flamethrowers and machine-guns :P .
I think 1:18 figures would have looked the best. :wink:

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:58 am

What a spectacular effort :!:

I had thought Playamobil buildings were way undersized to mesh with 1/18 but they looked great. So how tall is a Playmobil figure?

The unique genius of Playmobil is the combination of the often highly detailed scale models of buildings, castles and such with those goofy figures.

I think the idea was interesting. Mixing the not so serious Playmobil figures with the harsh reality of history and adding the humor like the guy on the toilet. Reminds me of one of my favorite movies, "Kelly's Heroes" which was a dark comedy with plenty of violence and death associated with war. The comic relief would take the edge off the horrors of war. They were probably trying to make the display both adult interesting with the vehicles and scenery as well as kid friendly and more of something they could relate to with the Playmobil figures.

Either way, the buildings and structures were super.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:22 pm

I have sooooooo much Playmobil from my childhood. Loved western theme but mixed stuff into it from other lines like the Victorian Mansion. It is shockingly gorgeous with 1/18 vehicles and figures around it, seriously.

I should sell my stuff off. I've got so much of it, haha. I really should just start moving it.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:24 pm

That's pretty fun. Interesting way to use Playmobil figures 8) I'm surprised they haven't done a more modern military-themed lineup (i.e. post Civil War). Their Civil War soldiers, 18th Century-style soldiers, and Knights were always well done.

I have lots of Playmobil myself... I never really did get many of the larger structures, but was a fan of the boats, particularly the original pirate ship which was my most anticipated Christmas present back in 1988. Still have it in great shape :wink: My younger brother had many of the larger structures, including the old-style German buildings (which you can still get direct-to-consumer from the company), circus, trains, airport, etc.

Really, I should partly credit Playmobil with my interest in detailed toy soldiers since the company always incorporated a lot of detail into its products from working features to accessories.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:23 am

Anyone know anything about the Schwimmwagen around 15:31 into the video?
Custom or kit?