A Redo Of HM's Golshevskij"s Mig-15 Night Fighter

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

A Redo Of HM's Golshevskij"s Mig-15 Night Fighter

Post by Epap » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:10 am

When I bought this 1:72nd scale model of a Soviet-piloted Mig-15 night fighter, I wasn't very happy with the scheme and, particularly, the heavy handed layering of the "sand" or yellow squiggles on the upper surfaces. Other questions arose, such as the North Korean insignias on the upper wings----many claim that this was not a common practice----and the bright, shiny auxiliary fuel tanks under the wings seemed rather conspicuous for nocturnal combat. Here's a picture of the model in its original form:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: A Redo Of HM's Golshevskij"s Mig-15 Night Fighter

Post by Epap » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:19 am

Anyway, I revisited this model a few days ago and did some research which uncovered a very bad picture of a Mig-15 "night fighter" being "readied" for a mission, with the same first two numbers on its nose---the third number was unreadable----and no sign of black paint on the undersurfaces. More research highlighted lots of disagreement among modellers as to the actual colors used, with little or no photographic evidence to document the views of one side versus the other. So I decided to come up with my own interpretation. My basic assumption was that the upper surface base color was probably---note, I said probably-----a tan or dark sand color, with dark green squiggles applied over it. I went with the idea that there were no insignias on the upper wing and that those on the underside were painted over when black was applied for the night fighter role.

This is how it turned out:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:20 am

Another view:Image

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:21 am