What clear coat to use?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General

What clear coat to use?

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Hey all,

Finally finished my 1:18 scale resin garage kit Logan's Run car. Paint and decals are applied and now I want to clear coat to protect it. Is it OK to use Future? The car is supposed to have a shine to it since it is aluminum skin so I don't mind the shine, I'm just wondering if I use Future, will it turn yellowish over time? or is it a good acrylic clear coat. I use an airbrush which I have grown to love so don't want to use an aerosol clear coat. Any advice is appreciated.

thanks!

YT

Re: What clear coat to use?

Post by YT » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:51 pm

I use Future all the time. I have models over 10 years old with no yellowing.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:29 am

Excellent! Was hoping that was the case. Thanks YT! :-D

ledhead0085
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ledhead0085 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:39 pm

it would be a good thing to know and start a list of witch clear coats do yellow over time? dose anyone use vallejo? testors? do ether of them yellow? another question is: is it really the clear coat or is it environment (smoking around the kits) or the decals them selves? when i was running a sound company alot of the guitar players would buy a new white guitar after a year or so playing in the bars were everyone was smoking. if they didn't clean it all the time they would turn yellow at that point you could clean it but it would still look slightly yellow sitting next to a new one. the clear coat they would use on these guitars was pretty hard compared to some of the clear coats we use on models.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:36 am

Any clear lacquer or enamel runs a very high chance of yellowing. Smoking isn't the cause (although I bet it adds to it), neither is sunlight (or lack of it).

Nitro cellulose lacquer will yellow (hence lacquer clears from Testors yellowing)

Oil based alkyds or urethanes or linseed oil, etc are commonly found in enamels. These ingredients are notorious for yellowing over time.

True water borne acrylics won't yellow. Hence Future is your best bet.