Removal of F-14 afterburner nozzels

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

Removal of F-14 afterburner nozzels

Post by wolf8564 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:15 pm

Can anyone shed any light on what it took to remove your old afterburner nozzles to prepare it to become a D Model. Was anyone able to remove them without busting them all to hell? and ifso please advise.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Removal of F-14 afterburner nozzels

Post by rschaap » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:44 pm

I would contact Pizzaguy since he made nozzels for the F-14. Here was his post, hope it helps.

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... 79#p278679

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:19 am

Mine were fairly easy to remove. I used a pair of padded pliers to grab (carefully) the nozzles from the rear opening. Then I just applied pressure in different directions until I heard the distinctive crack from the glue starting to give. Take your time and work it a little at a time. When it is ready, the nozzle will simply pop off and leave a nice, clean edge for the new nozzles to glue to.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:25 am

whats up doc....

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Wolf,
The video BDO is a good starting point. I had one nozzle that came off just like the video and the other was a nightmare. I ended up using a heavy duty utility knife, ran that around the seam and used the flat portion of the blade to wedge between the nozzle and fuselage. Use a twisting motion to pry them apart. Time and patience are the key. Good Luck!!

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Would'nt it be easier to dip the tail in hot water to soften the materials? Perheaps could the glue hold not so hardly...
I'm interested in what you meen, because I'm planning to get the F-18 and have in advance bought the kit of pizzaguy!

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 pm

I would not recommend putting the tail section in hot water. That would most likely disfigure other portions of the plane. Heating the nozzles with a hair dryer may loosen it to some degree. The F18 nozzles are a flexible plastic and come off allot easier. Get a flat screw driver started and run it arounf the edge.