Decal removal question for the pros

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
WalkinTarget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Decal removal question for the pros

Post by WalkinTarget » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:19 am

I am looking for a way to remove the German markings on the Sherman Firefly #60260, specifically the turret and side skirt white crosses. Not sure this can be done without ruining the paint, hence this thread to ask the modder pros.

Link to pic of Firefly -> http://www.flyingmule.com/products/DM-60260

I'm finding it not so easy to buy a 'clean' Firefly that isn't remarked, so the intent is to Americanize it and return it to its rightful owners. :wink:

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can give me an answer on this one. I have just begun to collect 1/72, so at this stage my modding skills are non-existent (and will probably stay that way - too much caffeine and bad nerves = shaky hands).

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Decal removal question for the pros

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:09 am

Using a Q-tip you can try denatured alcohol. then finger nail polish remover.

Then acetone. But the acetone may cut the paint.

Try a tiny spot then work bigger.

Removing the decals is one of the things that is hardest to do in modeling.

If they did not use a clear coat you could soak the piece in water . That could lift the decal.

Good luck !!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:46 am

I use the same process as pickel, it works great!

WalkinTarget: What do you mean Americanize the Firefly? The yanks didn't use them, the British and Commonwealth forces did.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:50 am

Why not repaint it? Just sand the markings off then... :\ They never used any in panzer camo. lol
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:58 am

I do have one of dragon's sherman firefly, however I have the British version. You can probably still get that version for a good price, to save yourself some work. :mrgreen: Nevertheless, I still think that dragon made a bad choice by making 2 captured fireflys. It just doesn't make sense. :?
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:34 am

No it does not... :S
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:31 pm

WalkinTarget wrote:I am looking for a way to remove the German markings on the Sherman Firefly #60260, specifically the turret and side skirt white crosses. Not sure this can be done without ruining the paint, hence this thread to ask the modder pros.

Link to pic of Firefly -> http://www.flyingmule.com/products/DM-60260

I'm finding it not so easy to buy a 'clean' Firefly that isn't remarked, so the intent is to Americanize it and return it to its rightful owners. :wink:

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can give me an answer on this one. I have just begun to collect 1/72, so at this stage my modding skills are non-existent (and will probably stay that way - too much caffeine and bad nerves = shaky hands).
Are they decals or are they painted on with stencil?

WalkinTarget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WalkinTarget » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Yes, I agree it was a mistake to make two of them. One, ya fine. Two ??? C'mon ... I have been finding an occasional auction for the Polish version, but I do like the camo version minus the German markings.

Rather than mess one up, I think I will just buy a non-captured version at this point. Not sure if they are stencils or decals, as I didn't buy it yet, but maybe someone will chime in and clue us in.

Edit: Heh, I couldn't help myself. I just bought it .. guess I will do some experiments on it and see what happens.