The 40" TOVREX-S Ground Based Destroyer!! 2 Years WIP!!

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
C130IM
Sergeant
Sergeant

The 40" TOVREX-S Ground Based Destroyer!! 2 Years WIP!!

Post by C130IM » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:44 pm

I had mentioned this project a lot but hesitant to post pics. Mainly because after starting in 2009, I am still far from completion. Although sci-fi genre, this model I placed a lot of work into and hope y'all will appreciate the work.

It's one my largest ground based combat vehicles. Each step has been time stamped photographed down to each piece with dimensions. To date over 800 pics taken and still far from completion. Objective is to have the invader most lethal vehicle completed by May 2012. Weighs 35lbs without electronics and power supplies. I am considering casting and running limited production once completed.

Will have the most sfx of all my models. Standard lighting for each level, sound, removeable engine/reactor core illumination, illuminated display screens, laser effects for dioramas, and smoke generator to simulate reactor venting or other effects. Multiple weapons that rotate and elevate. Cannons, rocket artillery, and hidden weapon systems. Opening doors, hatches, and access panels.

Will be adding more pics as project progresses. Interior, electronics, side panels and other hatches need to be installed. Then of course the paint job.

The paint color is currently the only issue I'm trying to work out. Any suggestion let me know!

So may look, ehhh, right now but she's got a long way to go. Hope everyone likes the initial work. As always, suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Chad

Positive Trader Reports:
http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... &start=650

gliderdwm  30 Sep 10, 22 Oct 10
popeye357 13 Oct 10
Ferrari250GTO 15 Oct 10
xddave 24 Oct 10
ram04 9 Nov 10
Jay 28 Mar 11

flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: The 40" TOVREX-S Ground Based Destroyer!! 2 Years WIP!!

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:06 pm

It's beautiful. :cry: :shock: :D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:05 am

Looks like a mobile si fi battleship.

I would say do a suburban camo in digital pattern. I think the colors are blue, black, white and gray.

Unless this is an alien creation. Then it should be more sinister. Then light gray, dark gray and black. Going in a rough graphic lightning bolt diagonal camo.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

C130IM
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by C130IM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 pm

pickelhaube,

That's pretty much what it is. It's not the primary weapon system on the field. But when it is called in to engage human resistance or regular military; this destroyer packs a lot of firepower and carries 20 to 40 troops dependent upon the mission.

It is an alien creation. And thank you for the paint ideas!! I was looking at dark colors. The camo pattern you mention please clarify for the alien vehicle.

The destroyer is called TOVREX-S (Tactical Operation Vehicle- Rampant Extermination System). Humans just call it T-Rex for short.

The TOVREX-S is a killing machine driven by fusion reactor. Bulky, heavy armor, and multiple weapon units make it fun on a battlefield or siege. Its main weapon are the two plasma beam cannons on each side of the vehicle.

With anything It also has cons. It's resource intensive! Mainly for artillery pieces and anti infantry rockets which has limited storage. So logistical support is always nearby. The other drawback... speed. One human advantage; hall ass when they see it. Though it's cruising speed is 25 mph. Observers/scouts have clocked it at top speeds of 50 mph. No known weak points. Exceptions in combat, US forces shoot for the tracks. Works sometimes. Intelligence has found that it has hover mode that allows evacuation, cross terrain, etc. When in use the main weapons are powered down. Other weak point 2; aim for the lower section of the bridge. The aliens later placed extended blast panels to protect the drivers.

Overall, it can level structures with no problem. Alien forces have used it for number of functions: artillery for sustained sieges against large cities and mountain bases; vehicle to vehicle combat; extermination protocols on rebel cities; and command and control.
Chad

Positive Trader Reports:

popeye357 13 Oct 10
Ferrari250GTO 15 Oct 10
xddave 24 Oct 10
ram04 9 Nov 10
Jay 28 Mar 11

C130IM
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: The 40" TOVREX-S Ground Destroyer!! 2 Years WIP!! New Pi

Post by C130IM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Here are a couple updated pics of TOVREX-S. This shows the extended blast panels on bridge front. Supposed to add another layer of protection to the drivers. I need to do some work to remove the bland appearance. Opinions: Leave the panels on or take them off?

Shows manned gun station atop the rear track assembly, hidden bridge anti armor missiles (extended), rear artillery cover with arm manipulator, 3 3/4" AT-RT driver for reference, and open access panel to bridge. Other angle and close up shots.

Sorry for poor quality. Using camera phone with no flash.

Chad

Positive Trader Reports:

popeye357 13 Oct 10
Ferrari250GTO 15 Oct 10
xddave 24 Oct 10
ram04 9 Nov 10
Jay 28 Mar 11

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:06 am

wow, that is quite a creation. That would look pretty good in the Star Wars universe, as well.

i would invision it having some sort of adaptive camoflauge...so that it's colours can change in different enviornments, sort of like a chameleon. You could even imagine it as trying to mimic it's backround, so that the camoflauge would be different from different angles. So on one side, if there are huge rocks behind it, it would have camo to blend in with the rocks/sky backround. From anoher angle, it's just flat desert, so it is mostly a sky colour etc. I don't know how that would look in practice on a model but it's an idea.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

C130IM
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by C130IM » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks Aferg!! Actually I had given thought to the concept of changing camo patterns. I am looking at using the paint scheme pickelhaub suggested or blend of for basic appearance. But thinking way to create some kind adaptive camo pattern using .10 plastic removable panels painted in different patterns.
Chad

Positive Trader Reports:

popeye357 13 Oct 10
Ferrari250GTO 15 Oct 10
xddave 24 Oct 10
ram04 9 Nov 10
Jay 28 Mar 11

plasticboy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticboy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:15 pm

This is cool stuff. There is no doubt that will take 2 years for it. :shock:
Have fun with toys forever!
http://weylent.blogspot.com/

C130IM
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by C130IM » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Yeah this has taken long time. I'm still hoping to have this completed by next May making this a 3 year project. It's taking Longer than expected. No sculpting or molded parts (which I think would result in better turnaround time for this model or any). I did some basic work with external details. Building another weapon system to add to the model. Will add some new pics soon.

I do have a question. The smoke generator I have held off installing in the engine room. Is there a heat resistant foam padding or something that can prevent warping or any other damage caused by heat generated by the smoke unit?

It's not set up to run for long periods of time and may be concerned about nothing. Any input is appreciated.
Chad

Positive Trader Reports:

popeye357 13 Oct 10
Ferrari250GTO 15 Oct 10
xddave 24 Oct 10
ram04 9 Nov 10
Jay 28 Mar 11