I hate testors paints

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

I hate testors paints

Post by tko211 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 pm

I remembered why I hate testors paints tonight as I tried to paint some red grim reaper tails for an f-14. Specifically their primer sucks! The final red paint simply peels away from primer when I peel back my vinyl masks. This is after 24 hours of cure and dry time. My Tamiya stuff never does this. So why don't I use those you ask? Because tamiya screwed up and improper labels on cans have suspended shipments to the US for going on 4 months now. Nobody has the flippin primer and flat clear I need! So I'm not happy with Tamiya right now either- thanks for holding up my projects boys! And so I turn to testors for a primer that is like comparing a bar of gold to a bar of lead over the far superior Tamiya! Never again will I use cheap inferior paint even as a temp back up. So Tamiya- if you can please pull your crap together and fix this problem I and apparently many other angry modelers can get back to our projects! YOU ARE SERIOUSLY KILLING US!

flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: I hate testors paints

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:00 pm

I just finished spraying Testors on my corsair. I hope I don't have bad luck. :(

Im painting a 1/18 Corsair post war in El Salvadorian colors!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 pm

My local hobby dealer has been telling me for a while that new primer is supposed to arrive in April, but it's still not here. I am desperate for some of the Tamiya fine surface primer myself. - I feel your pain
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 am

Zach,

Have you ever tried the primer sprays from Games-Workshop? They are every bit as good as Tamiya Primer. They only come in black or white and the can is actually bigger than the typical Rustoleum can. $15. They spray extremely thin and flat but very durable. Way better than Testors. Only retail I've ever found them is a HobbyTown USA.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:26 am

Oh, crud. Good to know about the Tamiya paints. Better grab what I can from my hobby store while they still have some.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:57 am

The Latest from Tamiya is that it may be June now for delivery to the US. I got mad and decided to hit ebay and found a seller (not in the US) and order a case of both the Primer and Flat Clear! So, hopefully I'll be back in business with my 3-4 planes that I need to get going and finished! My Red Reaper project is now only tails away from being done! Then it's onto 2 hornet project!

Thanks for the suggestion Black Lion. If this suff doesn't show up I'll try that next!

I still HATE TESTORS paint if anyone was curious!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:08 pm

My hobbytown still had some of the primer. Picked it up, along with a few other random colors of Tamiya paint I've been in need of for some projects (I've got a Bravo Team Tiger that needs some weathering, for example).

I agree with the general consensus regarding Testors vs Tamiya paints. Tamiya is vastly superior. Better color matches, better quality, just better overall :)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."