Weathering

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Weathering

Post by ram04 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 pm

Quick question, when weathering, do you use a sealer first or just go for it on a flat type base?

I don't have a decent air brush, so this will be done the dry brush method ( almost sounds like I know what I'm doing ), I have chaulks, water colors, acryilics and what not, just looking for alittle advice, thanks.

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Weathering

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:28 pm

If you're only method of weathering is to airbrush some panel lines and some spots and that's all then leaving it flat is fine (a la the BBI method). But if you're wanting to use the old fashioned thinned paints dripped into panel lines and excess wiped and smeared then you must have a smooth clear coat over the base paint before weathering. Same goes for chalks. ESPECIALLY chalks!!

Experiment on a scrap piece of plastic that's flat and one with clear coat and you'll see how it's impossible to smear or blend chalks (or pastels) on a flat dull surface. It looks horrible.

Once you've weathered it over the clear coat and you've got it just right, then you can spray or airbrush a flat dull clearcoat to seal it all in and make it look natural.

Good luck!!

trigger1
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Weathering

Post by trigger1 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:02 am

Black Lion hit the nail on the head. It wont hurt to have a protective coat over your base. It makes correcting mistakes much easier. A gloss coat like Future works great if you are doing a wash with oils or acrylics..It helps to really suck it into the nooks and crannies. A flat coat like Testors dullcote would be fine if you are just dry brushing and high lighting.
B/S/T Contacts:holensock,billgiff,Razor17019,KWR190,ostketten,kevrut,ram04 etc...