Apply gloss to BBI Blue Angel? Recommendations needed

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Apply gloss to BBI Blue Angel? Recommendations needed

Post by vulgarvulture » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Hello All:

I am thinking about putting a gloss coat on a BBI Blue Angel F/A-18 and would like to get some recommendations from the experts on the best way to do this. Or, if it’s not recommended and the plane looks good enough on it’s own and should not be tampered with, then I’d like to hear that too.

If Future is applied, is a brush out of the question? If using a brush, any particular type? What about gloss coat from a spray can? Or is airbrush the only way to go? Will Future ever yellow (I have bad memories of spending time as a kid scraping yellow floor wax off the kitchen floor).

Here are some comments from older posts on the subject, at a time when Bruzzer was doing all 6 of his Blue Angels, and maybe since then there’s been some different experiences. Thanks in advance for any recommendations:

-- Airbrushing is the best recommendation. Spraying glosscote straight from the can often results in "pools" that are quite difficult to remove. Due to the size of the model, brushing is out of the question. I'd practice on something with an airbrush first before attempting the Hornet.

-- Be very careful as to the type of Clearcoat you use, as the bbi toys have PVC vinyl in them and many solvents in certain types of paint will react with the PVC (the rubbery stuff that the LEX fences and intake strakes are made from) and never fully cure, but stay "sticky". I have had good luck with Future Floor Wax shot thru an Airbrush...it's self-leveling, dries crystal clear, won't ever yellow, and looks wet when done right. When my BBi Blues '18's get here I plan to use Future on them. My recommendation is to test a very small, out of the way PVC area on the jet before applying ANY Clearcoat. I certainly will, even though I've yet to have Future attack any substrate. Better safe than sorry...

-- I put 2 coats of Future with the airbrush but couldn't get a good thick shinny coat (probably my poor airbrush skills). I lost my patience and ended up freehanding the future with a brush. It looks descent on the fuselage but the wings have some uneven spots. Very shiny and seems to be curing. I used Testor model master gloss coat on all the planes. I then used future over the top for a better shine. I borrowed a plastic tub and put 2 bottles of future in. Then I dunked the wings and tailplanes. Let all the excess future drip and off and put them off to dry. They turned out better than when I tried to airbrush the future on the first plane. The fuselage was too big for the tub so I hand brushed it on. This takes a while. My #1 plane had the gloss coat and future done in October and it still looks good. I wiped the dust off and only touched up a small area that the fishing wire was rubbing on the future.

Bruzzer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Apply gloss to BBI Blue Angel? Recommendations needed

Post by Bruzzer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Hello Mike,

All six of my Blue Angels still look like the day I put future on them, only with a 1/8 inch of dust. I've moved a few and there have been no problems. There is no yellowing that I can see. If I get a minute this weekend I'll take one down and get a closer look.

Since I don't login in much just browse I just picked up your PM. Yes I still have some but I couldn't tell what's left off the top of my head.

Take Care,

John
"Bruzzer"

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Bruzzer: Good to see you are still around! Thanks much for the reply. (Also dropped you a new PM).

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:43 pm

I think I need to see some pics of these glossy beauties!

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:18 pm

tko211 wrote:I think I need to see some pics of these glossy beauties!
I think I need to see some of these pics too!
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Just mt $0.02 worth, but the Blue Angel FA-18 was a Bad Cat special. I have one too, and I am concerned that messing around with the original paint might cause a bad spot or two. I've used Future for many years and I know that, if mixed or diluted for easier spraying, it can caused dull areas, run, and sometimes yellow. Remember that Future is liquid polymer plastic and can sometime fail to cure completely leaving sticky spots where your fingerprints are left to mar the finish. Removing the Future could cause even more problems. Spray gloss enamel paint is even worse. There is a mild acid base to enamel paints that etches the surface for better paint adhesion, but with soft plastic it will literally eat the surface into a sludge if applied too thick. If you really want that gloss finish, stick to the Future and apply it lightly...I said LIGHT!...in even coats giving a minimum of 24 hours to cure between coats. Whatever you do, don't apply Future or leave it to cure in a highly humid area.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:55 pm

Folkwulfe, thanks much for your 2 cents!