Removing Rank

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
MUDHEN336
Sergeant
Sergeant

Removing Rank

Post by MUDHEN336 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Anyone have any pointers for removing enlisted rank without messing up the rest of the paint on the arm? It wont do to have my officers wearing chevrons.
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

--John Wayne

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Removing Rank

Post by ostketten » Wed May 05, 2010 3:30 am

MUDHEN336 wrote:Anyone have any pointers for removing enlisted rank without messing up the rest of the paint on the arm? It wont do to have my officers wearing chevrons.
I assume these are these 1/18 figures...?? I'm not sure you could remove insignia without damaging the paint underneath. It might be easier to just match up the shade as best you can, and paint over it.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed May 05, 2010 11:45 am

I have done this on a couple of the BBI WWII figures by very carefully sanding with fine-grain sandpaper. It leaves a little bit of a mark when viewed up close, but with the weathering already on the figures, its hard to notice. Those figures, at least, used a tan-colored plastic on the arms, so the sanding doesn't show as much.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

HIDEOUS ONE
Corporal
Corporal

removal with care

Post by HIDEOUS ONE » Thu May 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Medium P told me about brake fluid. I tried it with a q-tip. Quickly rub the insignia you are trying to erase with the brake fluid. Try to cover only the insigna itself. Gently work the brake fluid in and the insignia will melt away. But be careful not to overwork it or use too much cause it can also take off the core paint on the fuigure. But it works pretty well.