Napoleonic: Diorama project battle of Hollabrunn 1805

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
hollabrunn1805
Private First Class
Private First Class

Napoleonic: Diorama project battle of Hollabrunn 1805

Post by hollabrunn1805 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:50 am

Hy,

I am new here at this forum. My name is Sebastian, 21 years old and I live in Austria, Lower Austria. I will show you my diorama project of the battle of Hollabrunn (scale 1/72) in the year 1805 in this great forum.

The history: quotation from wikipedia
The Battle of Schöngrabern (also known as the Battle of Hollabrunn) was an engagement in the Napoleonic Wars during the War of the Third Coalition, fought on 16 November 1805 near Hollabrunn in Lower Austria, four weeks after the Battle of Ulm and two weeks before the Battle of Austerlitz.

The Russian army of Kutuzov was retiring north of the Danube before the French army of Napoleon. On 15 November 1805 Marshals Murat and Lannes, commanding the French advance guard, had captured a bridge over the Danube at Vienna by falsely claiming that an armistice had been signed, and then rushing the bridge while the guards were distracted. Kutuzov needed to gain time in order to make contact near Brünn with reinforcements led by Buxhowden. He ordered his rearguard under Major-General Prince Pyotr Bagration to delay the French.

Murat and Lannes commanded the 4th and 5th Corps and the Reserve Cavalry. Bagration took up a position about 6 km north of Hollabrunn, on the hill above the small town of Schöngrabern (today part of Grabern). Murat believed that the whole of the Russian army was before him, and hesitated to attack. Bagration then suggested to Murat that negotiations for an armistice should be opened. Murat agreed, and did not attack. When Napoleon was informed of this he was furious and wrote to Murat:

“ I cannot find words to express my displeasure. You only command my vanguard and have no right to agree to an armistice without my orders. You will cost me the fruits of a campaign. End the armistice at once, and attack the enemy. Inform him that the general who has signed this has no power to make it, that only the Russian Emperor has the right, and that when the Russian Emperor ratifies this agreement, I will also ratify it. But it is only a ruse. March, destroy the Russian army. You are in a position to take his baggage and artillery.[1] ”

On 16 November 1805 Murat informed Bagration that the armistice would end at 5:00 pm. The confused action took place during the night. After sustaining several French assaults and holding the position for some six hours, Bagration was driven out and executed a skilled and organised withdrawal to retire northeast to join the main Russian army. His skillful defence in the face of superior forces successfully delayed the French enough for the Russian forces of Kutusov and Buxhowden to unite at Brünn on 18 November 1805.

The battle in fiction
The battle is depicted in Leo Tolstoy’s novel War and Peace. Prince Andrei Bolkonsky is present and attaches himself to the artillery battery of Captain Tushin. As the battle progresses the battery ends up alone and unsupported, becoming the deciding factor in the successful withdrawal of the Russian troops. Later that evening, some Russian staff officers accuse Captain Tushin of having abandoned his artillery pieces, rather than retreating with the guns as ordered. Prince Andrei tells Bagration that there were no supporting Russian troops, and that Captain Tushin and his men might well have been the vital point in delaying the French advance.

Given the lack of detail in historical sources for this battle, it is unclear how closely Tolstoy's version of the battle relates to the historical action.
My diorama:

I starded in 2007 with the researche of the history of the battle, units, bulletins, used uniforms, formations, taktics of the napoleonic wars, etc..., all which is needed to creat a historical realistic diorma of the battle.
Then I searched for suitable figures from diverent manufactors like Hät, Revell, Italieri, ART Miniaturen, Stretlets and Zvezda. Some convertions were necessary to give the quantity on figures a good look.

I devided the diorama in four parts with diverent scenes.

The first and now to 90% complete, shows the first attack of the french 18. infantry regiment against the Russian Azov regiment:

French 18. infantryregiment in formation:

Next part will be the russian artillery battery, which shoot at the village Schöngrabern.

With best regards

Sebastian
Last edited by hollabrunn1805 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Homepage of the diorama:

http://hollabrunn1805.twoday.net/

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 am

that looks fantastic!
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:19 am

Hi, welcome aboard! Nice to have another Austrian here :wink:

great diorama. Seems like a lot of work! Cool! :D
We still need more new 1/18 aircraft!

flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:30 am

:shock:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by GI546 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:28 am

NICE.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:44 am

Fantastic! It is not very often we get anything - models, figures, dioramas - that are pre 20th century and WWII, so its neat to see something! The Napoleonic era is quite an exciting time in European history :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:00 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Fantastic! It is not very often we get anything - models, figures, dioramas - that are pre 20th century and WWII, so its neat to see something! The Napoleonic era is quite an exciting time in European history :wink:
I KNOW I am in love! BTW is the snow baking soda? :D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

hollabrunn1805
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hollabrunn1805 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:39 am

Hello, flyboy_fx

The snow is sifted white grout.

Thanks for your comments!

regards

Sebastian

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:35 pm

SWEET!!! Nice work brother and welcome aboard!!!---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:56 am

Very interesting my friend! Another welcome from me as well! You doing any more Napoleon stuff?
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

hollabrunn1805
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hollabrunn1805 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:55 am

At the moment I am working only on this diorama, but I have another figures that are waiting to get ready. For example french dragoons from Italeri in 1/35 and french guard artillery in 1/35.

regards

Sebastian

blaster_e11
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blaster_e11 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:41 am

awesome dio, 1/72, huh ?

it reminds me of all my plastic soldiers back when i was akid. i think i had a couple hundreds of napoleonic troops