The Pegasus Bell X-1 in Beautiful 1:18 Scale

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

The Pegasus Bell X-1 in Beautiful 1:18 Scale

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:43 am

Here is the newest addition to my 1:18th collection...

I have been working on this bit by bit since I started over the New Years holiday. The landing gear retract and I have put a figure in the cockpit. My "Chuck Yeager" figure is actually a 21c S1 midget P-51 pilot, as that was what would fit in the tiny cockpit the easiest. It is a bit inaccurate (one doesn't need a lifejacket flying over the desert) but works fine for filling up the space - and I even placed in part of a broken toothpick for the infamous broom handle Yeager used to seal the hatch on his historic flight :wink:

The kit was largely easy to assemble with getting the fuselage halves together being the most difficult part for me (had to take a mallet to it to get them to shut nicely). Painting was easy as the plane is solid international orange in color with a gray interior. I used Testors Acrylic International Orange for the exterior and Testors Acryl Gull Gray for the interior. I achieved even canopy framing by masking off the framing with
Tamiya masking tape.

While there are a number of small imperfections throughout, I am very pleased with my end result and have a new 1:18 plane to add to my collection 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cardenas
Corporal
Corporal

Post by cardenas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:19 am

Beautiful!

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:36 am

super nice ! 8)

I really hope they will produce a complete model because i don't have your talent !!!!!!
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:25 am

Well I tell you, I was going to pass on the X-1 but after seeing your beauty I have changed my mind.

Thanks for sharing. Great job !!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: The Pegasus Bell X-1 in Beautiful 1:18 Scale

Post by mikeyt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:52 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Here is the newest addition to my 1:18th collection...

I have been working on this bit by bit since I started over the New Years holiday. The landing gear retract and I have put a figure in the cockpit. My "Chuck Yeager" figure is actually a 21c S1 midget P-51 pilot, as that was what would fit in the tiny cockpit the easiest. It is a bit inaccurate (one doesn't need a lifejacket flying over the desert) but works fine for filling up the space - and I even placed in part of a broken toothpick for the infamous broom handle Yeager used to seal the hatch on his historic flight :wink:

The kit was largely easy to assemble with getting the fuselage halves together being the most difficult part for me (had to take a mallet to it to get them to shut nicely). Painting was easy as the plane is solid international orange in color with a gray interior. I used Testors Acrylic International Orange for the exterior and Testors Acryl Gull Gray for the interior. I achieved even canopy framing by masking off the framing with
Tamiya masking tape.

While there are a number of small imperfections throughout, I am very pleased with my end result and have a new 1:18 plane to add to my collection 8)
i have this plane on order is the testor's paint a spray can or air brush type paint

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Looks great,tman.

Good job on the kit.

X-1 is an iconic plane,and happy to have it in 1/18.Even though it is a kit.

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Very, very, very nice times a billion. 8)

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:59 pm

This post made me build my own X-1's back in March. I have the Mach-1 flight scheme (orange) and I made a second X-1 the 6063 ship in the white with the Black X evaluation / tracking markings on the sides. Very cool planes for the money. Easy to build.

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikeyt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:49 pm

tko211 wrote:This post made me build my own X-1's back in March. I have the Mach-1 flight scheme (orange) and I made a second X-1 the 6063 ship in the white with the Black X evaluation / tracking markings on the sides. Very cool planes for the money. Easy to build.
how about a couple pictures :D

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:58 am

My kit is sitting opened but unbuilt because I was unable to find a source of rattle can orange of the right color. Anyone know of a source???

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:43 am

Where is the best place to get one of these planes?
Anybody got a spare kit they wish to trade or sell?
Thanks,
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

tko211

Post by tko211 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:36 am

gburch wrote:My kit is sitting opened but unbuilt because I was unable to find a source of rattle can orange of the right color. Anyone know of a source???
Buy Tamyia spay paint called, "orange" it's code is TS-12. It's a perfect match to the X-1 if you prime it first with the Tamyia grey color primer. I have a replica nose art panel of the X-1 which was carfefully matched in color to the real X-1 at the Smithsonian by Gary Velasco. (this guy really knows his stuff) anyway- I looked at about 4-5 different orange color spray paints and found that the Tamyia orange TS-12 was dead on.

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikeyt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:27 pm

ImageImagea little detail wireing added to the back of instrument panel :D

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Man, after looking at the completed models in this thread I just may have to pick this up. Looks a lot nicer then what I thought it would.
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander