JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Small update for today on the display base. I shot the yellow striping early this morning and unmasked everything. Once the yellow is good and dry I'll mask off the yellow stripes and mask off the white triangles (4 per side), then I can spray the black on the four base pieces. The corner piece and top trim pieces are already clear coated and finished. Thanks to those who still show interest in this project.

Steve

OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:57 am

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do with the display base top just yet but, I did find this today at the craft store. I was hoping to find something like this, stay tuned.

Steve

OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:39 pm

Greetings all,

Today's update, finally after 3 1/2 hours of tedious masking, what a PITA this was, I'm ready to spray black.

This better be worth it or I'm gonna be one pissed off human being. I'll let the black dry overnight and unmask everything tomorrow. Once everything is good and dry, I'll give it a few coats of clear poly. Once the clear dries I can then assemble the base. So, we'll see what tomorrow brings, til next time .....

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Greetings everyone,

Well all that time spent masking was time well spent. All 4 sides came out very nice and I'm very happy with the results. Next up some coats of poly clear spray and this display base will almost be finished. Thanks for stopping by and having a look. Until the next update, .......

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Greetings all,

I finally got the base finished for my Big Cat. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do on the white primer section yet so, for now we'll call it complete. This was quite the project in itself and I'm really happy with how it came out. I'd say it would look at home in the "Ready Room". Now I just have to get the important part finished.
Thanks for having a look and until the next update.

Steve

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:56 am

Beautiful display. You really know how to honor the big cat in all it's glory.

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:04 pm

The white top disturbs me... Why not an aerial view of the ocean surface, a so high altitude taken pic that some clouds can be seen... But the black base with yellow >>> is really wonderfull.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:50 pm

granch wrote:The white top disturbs me... Why not an aerial view of the ocean surface, a so high altitude taken pic that some clouds can be seen... But the black base with yellow >>> is really wonderfull.
I like granch's idea. Maybe throw in a picture of a Russian bomber to make it look like the F-14 is angling for an intercept.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:53 am

rschaap wrote:Beautiful display. You really know how to honor the big cat in all it's glory.
Thanks very much but, she's not finished yet. Hopefully I won't disappoint you guys.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:05 am

granch wrote:The white top disturbs me... Why not an aerial view of the ocean surface, a so high altitude taken pic that some clouds can be seen... But the black base with yellow >>> is really wonderfull.
Thanks for the kind words Granch, much appreciated.

The white surface area is not the finished product. I'm still throwing around ideas for it. I originally wanted to do a picture of a desert area with mountains. With her going vertical I envisioned her setting up for a "pop up" bomb run. I have no idea how to pull that off so, I was going to just cover the white area with cotton to represent a cloud layer. I have since found the skull and bones and I thought about adding those items to the base. I didn't want to do water again because the Black Knights display has water.
I don't want to go overboard with the base because I don't want to distract from the main subject. Like I said, I'm still tossing around ideas.

Steve

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:44 pm

I can not recommand cotton clouds, you'll have problem with removing dust in it... but it's a good idea to make a desert view. In hobbyshop, you can find an acrylic gel that dries and keeps the relief you give. I did'nt personnaly tried it, but saw ocean waves around a ship model, so it could work for painted desert dunes and valleys in a rather flat relief with some small details like runways, shelters and roads... as few and simple,as the view we can have when flying at 6000 ft. So the main interest would be kept on the jet...

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:06 pm

granch wrote:I can not recommand cotton clouds, you'll have problem with removing dust in it... but it's a good idea to make a desert view. In hobbyshop, you can find an acrylic gel that dries and keeps the relief you give. I did'nt personnaly tried it, but saw ocean waves around a ship model, so it could work for painted desert dunes and valleys in a rather flat relief with some small details like runways, shelters and roads... as few and simple,as the view we can have when flying at 6000 ft. So the main interest would be kept on the jet...
Well, eventually the display will get an acrylic cover over it so, I think the cotton clouds would been fine.
I'm still tossing around ideas for the top of the base. I can either ;
A ) use cotton as a cloud cover.
B ) have my friend, who is a very talented artist, do something on it or,
C ) go with one of these designs, which means I would have to paint the white primer area black. Plus, I still need to finish off the skull and bones.

Steve

Plus, nothing will be permanently affixed to the base so I can change up the display from time to time to keep things fresh.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:27 am

Beautiful work so far. I like the Cat in vertical climbing position. It would be so cool if we could see the afterburner glowing (red LED light/painting) coming out from those cans :) . What's the huge wing in the background (RC 1/6 Jet) ? I also like the 1/1 scale helmet on the table. Very very nice man room.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks for the kind words cnq.
I love everything about the "rebuild" EXCEPT for the fact that there are no lights. I wish I would have had the guts to disassemble the jet or better yet, I wish these would have been offered in "kit form". Then I could have done a better job in the cockpit, The intakes would have been easier to paint and, the whole jet including the cockpit and burners, would have had lights added.
What you see in the background is a rudder from a A-4M, I also have a tailhook from a A-4M as well hanging on another wall in the room. I would LOVE to add a Tomcat tailhook to my collection someday.

Steve

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:04 am

I'm with you on the F-14 kit Steve. In Feb. 2010 issue of Fine Scale Modeler under the AFV post JSI announced that they were going to release a kit form F-14. As you have already guessed that went to the waste side. I can only imagine the possibilities if that would have happened. I wonder if Merit's 1/18 scale SBD kit was a hit.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:21 pm

rschaap wrote:I'm with you on the F-14 kit Steve. In Feb. 2010 issue of Fine Scale Modeler under the AFV post JSI announced that they were going to release a kit form F-14. As you have already guessed that went to the waste side. I can only imagine the possibilities if that would have happened. I wonder if Merit's 1/18 scale SBD kit was a hit.
Not really sure but, my guess would be that since we haven't seen any other 1/18th scale kit releases the Dauntless did not sell as well as they expected. The 1/18th scale pre-built Dauntless and the kit form are BEAUTIFUL, they're just not my cup of tea however.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Greetings all,
Major update for today, well for me anyway. I FINALLY got the Big Cat in primer today. I decided to take advantage of the unusual warm weather we are having on the East Coast. Last night I finalized the sealing of the canopy using some Elmer's Tack. I cut thin strips and rolled them into "worms" that I applied to the cockpit sill. Then I just installed the canopy and used enough pressure to get a good seal. My modeling amigo, Ed Miranda, gave me a hand with mixing the primer. I used an automotive lacquer primer and sprayed thin light coats. The Anest Iwata, RG-3L-2 spray gun, did a beautiful job. It atomizes the paint so well and it went on beautifully. Great gun, highly recommended. Hopefully I can get the rest of the colors on the jet and a gloss coat shortly so I can get to decaling. Again, thanks to everyone who still shows an interest in this project and hopefully the next update will come sooner rather than later. Enjoy your weekend all.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Greetings everyone,
A brief update for today, I managed to get the insides of the intakes painted white. It was a big PITA to say the least but, I mixed the paint fairly thin and applied multiple light coats. It was rather difficult holding the jet, shining a flashlight down the intake so I could see what I was doing and trying to spray paint all at the same time !! I tried to get pics but, no matter what I tried you couldn't really see the difference. Not earth-shattering but, a step forward so that makes me happy. Now I can get back to sanding the airframe and get her ready for the bottom color.
Thanks for those who still show an interest in this " never ending project. "

Steve

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:53 pm

It's a labor of love. As long as you are as close to being 100% satisfied I think your good. No one who undertakes a project like this will ever be completely satisfied. There will always be that, "I should of done this or changed that."

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:37 am

rschaap wrote:It's a labor of love. As long as you are as close to being 100% satisfied I think your good. No one who undertakes a project like this will ever be completely satisfied. There will always be that, "I should of done this or changed that."
Thanks for stopping by and having a look, I appreciate your continued interest and support. It is a labor of love I guess in a way. You have to have a passion about something to spend this much time on a project and I do, I LOVE TOMCATS, always have from the first time I saw her as a kid.
No matter what I do I try to make everything perfect. I will not move to that next step unless I'm 100% satisfied with what I am currently working on. Combine that with the fact that I've always been a slow builder and there you have a " never ending project." I don't do this to please anybody but myself. I do like to share my talents with those who are interested, if you like what you see fine, if you don't that's fine as well. I never built models to win competitions, that's not me. I build because I like to create something that I will enjoy looking at for years to come.
Your correct, there are things about this project that I am not satisfied with. Again, I wish this would have been released in " kit form." I really wanted to do a better job with the cockpit. I could have closed the gap between the wings and the glove vanes. I most certainly would have added lights to the entire kit as well as the burners. Overall though, I think when she is completed it will be a one of a kind unique piece that I will enjoy and can be proud of and can say " I did that."
OK, rant over, sorry.

Steve

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:27 pm

still enjoying the show :)

no problemo :)

1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Me too!

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:15 pm

supersonicfifi wrote:still enjoying the show :)

no problemo :)

Good to know, thanks.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:17 pm

:salute:
granch wrote:Me too!
Thanks Granch, I appreciate your continued interest.

Steve

teebird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by teebird » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:49 pm

I love Tomcats. Just don't slow down or fail to finish, this cat is the ultimate inspiration for 1/18 cats!!! You've kept me dabbling on my Iranian repaint every time u post! It reminds me to keep pecking away on mine!!! Your work is inspiring and amazing!! Go Steve Go!!!!