JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
air one
Corporal
Corporal

Re: JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Post by air one » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Look like they are going to blow!
Nice work Steve !

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:10 am

air one wrote:Look like they are going to blow!
Nice work Steve !
Thanks very much air one, appreciate that.

Steve
"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Adding the details to the GBU-16's. This is about as good as I could do with my hands. All this took me about 5 hours, until I was satisfied with it. It's probably too big scale wise but, I couldn't do anything smaller.

A small piece of brass rod will serve as the BFD.

The wing assembly release latch was made from some evergreen plastic strip and some brass rod. A "trench" was carved into the plastic stock and a small hole drilled, at an angel, will accept the brass rod. The plastic stock was left long so I can handle it while painting. After the paint is dry I'll install the brass rod and cut it to it's final length and glue the whole assembly to the tail wing assembly. Then I can finish off the bombs with some arming wire.
Again, I truly appreciate all of those who are still following along.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Greetings everyone,
Today's update, The GBU’s are complete !! Subtle changes but, they’re more accurate and look better IMO. Now I can change the loadout from time to time on my Big Cat.

BFD added to the CCG and it’s arming cable. I even added the Pulse Decoder setting dials ( 3 small black dots) to the CCG.

Scratch-built Wing Release Mechanism and latch with arming cable. Both of these arming cables SHOULD be wrapped around the two rear sway braces (one on each side) of the bomb rack but, then I couldn't change the loadout. Close enough to give the illusion.

Now I just need my 3 replacement decals to show up and I can press on with this build. Without them, I'm at a standstill. Hopefully they show up sooner than later.
Thanks for checking in.

Steve

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:02 am

Looks incredibly real... I wouldn't sleep well under your cat and his bombs hanging from the ceiling :wink:

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks very much granch but remember, she'll be posed this way not hanging.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:46 pm

Greetings all,
Minor update for tonight but, a major part of the puzzle completed. My replacement decals arrived in the mail this afternoon and I just finished them up. Next up, a semi-gloss coat to seal them in then the weathering can begin. Thanks to all who still follow along.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Greetings everyone,
I managed to get the semi-gloss coat on the Tomcat and, I'm currently working on the "corrosion control" touch-ups. This will be my first attempt at trying this so, hopefully I don't screw this up. I am practicing on a test subject to get the feel for it. Hoping to have something worth sharing in the next couple of days. Thanks very much to all those who are still showing an interest in this project.

Steve

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:30 pm

You are doing some incredible work with that F-14, A-10LOADER 8)

I thought I was slow spending 10 months on a simple FW-190 model, but your F-14 is truly a labor of love. Hopefully you find a new project to take on after this one.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

normandy

Post by normandy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Oh man this cat is looking sweet!! The 30 year decals as well as all the others look as if they were painted on,
wonderful job. I've never been happy with my results. Anyway keep it going...I love tuning in to the show! :salute:

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:38 am

Looks outstanding. Love that stand!

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks for having a look guys and for the words of encouragement, it's much appreciated.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Greetings all,
Tonight's update, "Weathering on the Tomcat, take 2."
I decided to "sun bleach" the top color of the Cat which, I think, turned out much better than my first attempt, which was horrible.
Still much more to do but, at least I'm on the right path.
I sincerely appreciate those of you who are still staying interested in my work.

Steve

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:05 am

Staying interested but learning as well. :salute:

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:55 am

normandy wrote:Staying interested but learning as well. :salute:
Thanks normandy, appreciate that.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:15 pm

Just a quick note to say THANK YOU to everyone following along with this seemingly never ending project. WOW, over 100,000 views !! I am truly humbled and really appreciate all your support. Thanks again everyone.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Greetings everyone,
Today's update focuses on the "mottling" of the bottom color on the Big Cat, to give it that worn, blotchy look. I used highly thinned Dark Ghost Gray and sprayed very lightly all around the belly of the jet as well as on some of the parts. Up next is a semi-gloss coat followed by adding the dirt and grime.
Thanks for following along and, enjoy the pics.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:11 am

Greetings all,
Today's update pertains to the weathering on the back end of the jet. This was accomplished using pastels, paint and, a gel pen. I'm really happy with how she's looking and had fun while doing it. I also fixed up the fuel tanks as well. Still much more to do but, progress is being made.
Thanks for all your continued support during this lengthy project. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Steve

Last edited by A-10LOADER on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:12 pm

I think it's safe to say Super Detailing is an understatement :!:

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:57 pm

normandy wrote:I think it's safe to say Super Detailing is an understatement :!:
Thanks normandy.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:45 am

Update for today,
I went back over the top surfaces of the jet, with a thin coat of the Medium Gray, just to knock back the "sun bleached" effect and blend things together more. Thanks for staying interested in this build and enjoy the pics.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:24 pm

Greetings everyone,
I'm thinking this will be my last update until the jet is completed. I want my final reveal to be a surprise for everyone and, because she's so close, I don't want to give anything away until she's completed.
I was able to get the entire jet weathered and gloss coated again, to lock in all the weathering and to also help darken up the colors so that when I flat coat her, the colors won't fade away.
I need to fix one slime light decal, flat coat her, do the metal colored areas and then I can unmask her ( I'm really looking forward to that part, hopefully no over-spray found it's way inside the cockpit ) and get all the pieces added to her.
I'm hoping with in the next two weeks, at the very latest, to have a finished product to show all of you. Thanks to everyone who stayed on this ride until the end, I appreciate it very much.

Steve

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:53 pm

This has been over six years in the waiting and well worth it. I can’t wait to see the finished Cat. She is truly a center piece.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:42 pm

rschaap wrote:This has been over six years in the waiting and well worth it. I can’t wait to see the finished Cat. She is truly a center piece.
Thanks for the kind words, actually it was started back in February of 2013 so, not quite six years yet.

Steve

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:20 pm

My bad, I saw that back in July of 2012 you were talking about your plans to work on your Spot Cat and hadn’t actually started the hands on part yet, you were just in the planning stages. I really can’t wait to see the finished bird, it’s been exciting watching it progress.