JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:33 am

Things are at a stand still until I can get the weather to cooperate, it's simply just too hot and or humid to re-prime the Big Cat. I have to spray here out in the driveway, she will not fit in my booth.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:33 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:31 am

Unfortunately no, rain is bad for painting.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Greetings everyone,
Minor update for today, favorable weather conditions allowed me to re-prime this beast. There are STILL a few spots I'm not completely happy with so, I hit them with some spot putty. Up next will be another wet sanding with 1200.
Thanks to all who are still following along.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:53 am

Greetings everyone,

Wet sanding continues and, progress is being made slow but sure. Most of the top is completed just need to get the sides and the bottom. You don't realize just how big this jet is until you start wet sanding every square inch of her. Hopefully my next update I'll have something to show.
Thanks for checking in.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:40 pm

I managed to get quite a lot done on the Big Cat today. I took advantage of the beautiful weather we've been having here in Pennsylvania and, worked outside today. Plus, the light was very helpful. I felt guilty knowing what the poor people of Texas are going thru right now.
She's about 80% sanded now but, I'm STILL not sure about some spots on her. They may require some more attention before the colors start flying. :x
Thanks to all who are staying interested in the project.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Greetings all,
All the wet sanding is finished and hoping to start shooting some colors very soon. Hopefully the next update I'll have something worth showing.
Thanks to everyone who still shows an interest in this project.

Steve

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:07 pm

It's been quite the train ride. Definitely worth the ticket. Can't wait to see what is in store for us at the next stop. Keep up the great work, we are all pulling for you Steve.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 am

rschaap wrote:It's been quite the train ride. Definitely worth the ticket. Can't wait to see what is in store for us at the next stop. Keep up the great work, we are all pulling for you Steve.
Thanks very much. Everyone here has been so supportive of my efforts to transform this beast and I truly appreciate it.

Steve

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:30 am

Steve : if you are tired of this project : please send it to me ! I will be glad to help you getting rid of it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43 am

supersonicfifi wrote:Steve : if you are tired of this project : please send it to me ! I will be glad to help you getting rid of it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not tired of it at all just frustrated because of my lack of bench time. Shooting the colors comes next, which requires a good block of time because there is a lot to paint.
Nice try though supersonicfifi.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:25 am

Greetings everyone,

Time to wake up this thread with a brief update,
I managed to get some weathering on the Tomcat's fuel tanks. With the limited amount of reference pics I was able to find, I came up with this for now. I'm not 100% satisfied with them right now. I'm going to add some "spot repairs" later on but, for now until I get colors on the jet, I'll leave them be.
On a side note, I had knee surgery on Friday the 20th (torn meniscus) so, my mobility is limited for now. Not sure when I'll get colors on the jet now so ......
Thanks to all who are still following along.

Steve

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:23 am

A-10, what is your limit? 98% satisfied? As I could see on my own projects, sometime wanting to make them even more better, I mean perfect, could lower the result, so there is all the time a point where I have to give up ...

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:42 am

You are correct Granch, there comes a time when working on a project that we have to say enough is enough. That is a BIG problem that I have, sometimes good, sometimes bad. I always try to make everything I do perfect and I am my own worst critique.
When this project is completed, will she be 100% correct, no but, she will be a heck of a lot better than what she looked like before I started her. I can tell you this however, she will be THE MOST ACCURATE Tomcat out there in 1/18th scale and, the crown jewel in my collection.
Thanks for your input and thanks for sticking around and showing interest in this project.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:27 am

Hi guys,
Minor update for today. I decided to go back and add some arming wire to the nose fuzes, on the MK-83's, using some 34 gauge wire.
Thanks for having a look.

Steve

normandy
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by normandy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:22 pm

" THE MOST ACCURATE Tomcat out there in 1/18th" That's for sure!
This custom has been one of the most enjoyable projects to watch Steve;
the amount of time and talent you've put into it shows.
Thanks for bringing us along! :salute:

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:51 am

normandy wrote:" THE MOST ACCURATE Tomcat out there in 1/18th" That's for sure!
This custom has been one of the most enjoyable projects to watch Steve;
the amount of time and talent you've put into it shows.
Thanks for bringing us along! :salute:
Thanks Normandy, glad you like what you see and thanks for staying interested in my "labor of love" to the Tomcat.

Steve

"TOMCAT'S FOREVER, BABY!"

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:15 am

For sure it will be the best one!

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:10 am

granch wrote:For sure it will be the best one!
Thanks granch, appreciate that.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:45 pm

Greetings everyone,
Minor update for this week. I managed to get the TCS camera pod attached to the Tomcat's nose. Monday, I decanted some Tamiya Light Ghost Gray and sprayed the area around the TCS pod, using my airbrush. Tuesday, I mixed up some two part epoxy and glued her in place, letting the epoxy dry for around 24 hours before using some Vallejo acrylic putty to fill the gap. The gap was created because I wasn't as accurate, as I thought I was being when I first removed it, with my jewelers saw.
The metal blade antenna popped off again so, I'll leave it go until the final bits get attached. This is the final step I wanted to accomplish before she goes to the paint barn. We'll see what the weekend holds and hopefully by the next update, I'll have some colors to show, fingers crossed.
Thanks to everyone who is still following along, I do appreciate it.

Steve

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:54 am

yes ....
maybe....
, could be the best F-14 around but it looks dirty and old allready !
A10LOADER should get rid of it .... and send it to
me :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:35 am

supersonicfifi wrote:yes ....
maybe....
, could be the best F-14 around but it looks dirty and old allready !
A10LOADER should get rid of it .... and send it to
me :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice try, you really crack me up. :lol:

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:51 am

Greetings all,

I just wanted to update those who are still following along with this thread that it's not dead. I've been struggling with my right hand for quite some time now, @10 years and, at the moment it's very difficult to even do the most simplest tasks let alone work an airbrush. Problem is I look at the Big Cat everyday and it eats away at me that I can't work on her properly. In my head, I can see her with colors on, gloss coated and ready for decals but, unfortunately, that's not the case. A lot of you have been very supportive of my work and I truly appreciate that. Hopefully things will get better here soon and I can get back to the bench.

Steve

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 am

Sorry to hear that you are going through that. Take care of the hand, that big bird will wait for you.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 pm

No rush, its like watching a series on cable...all good! :salute: