1:32 Aircraft Mods in General

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

1:32 Aircraft Mods in General

Post by Folkwulfe » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:14 am

Has anyone thought about (or better yet tried) integrating some of the photo-etched and resin accessories available for 1:32nd aircraft into some of the 21C aircraft coming out? I believe that, with minor alterations, some of these outstanding (and somewhat expensive) accessories can be integrated making a much more detailed model for display. Anybody tried this yet?
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

AlloySkull
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by AlloySkull » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Where can you get these accessories? Sounds like an idea.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:54 pm

AlloySkull wrote:Where can you get these accessories? Sounds like an idea.
Here is a good place to start.

http://www.eduard.cz/

I think it is possible to modify detail sets, but from my experience, it may take some work. Keep in mind that each set is designed specifically for a certain manufacturers model such as Hasagawas 1/32 scale FW-190. It shouldn't be assumed that detail set would work with another manufacturers kit, but I'm sure it could work with some effort. I have thought of this before but after purchasing the plane and then the detail sets you end up paying more than you would just buying a nice Hasagawa or Tamiya kit. That being said, I would like to see what someone could do to a 1/32 scale 21st aircraft. Oh, another great site to find information about anything model related is Hyperscale. Check it out, there is a ton of stuff to look there.

http://www.hyperscale.com/

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:58 pm

Not really, because if you think about what's involved....

Asides from re-working the resin and PE details into the pre-built 1/32 planes, you still have to do a LOT to make 1/32 planes as accurate as models. Then you will have to break apart the plane, add the necesary details, refine various parts, etc, then glue it all back together, re-paint it, the put the proper decals, etc...

Why not get a 1/32 kit if you're gonna do all that work? :lol: In fact, I think that building a kit from the ground up would be easier than re-doing a pre-built plane.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:46 pm

While everything you guys have said is true, I wasn't exactly talking "major surgery" here. I have been a scale modeler for a long time...and I've collected many spare parts from accessory sets I've used in the past, or parts I replaced in a model kit. I'm sure there are many of you out there like me with a large spare parts bin. My question is....can we improve 21C aircraft by incorporating these parts? I realize replacing the entire cockpit tub of the FW 190A may not be cost effective....but wouldn't it be cool if we could get 21C aircraft alot closer to scale???Hmmm???
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:22 pm

GooglyDoogly wrote:Not really, because if you think about what's involved....

Asides from re-working the resin and PE details into the pre-built 1/32 planes, you still have to do a LOT to make 1/32 planes as accurate as models. Then you will have to break apart the plane, add the necesary details, refine various parts, etc, then glue it all back together, re-paint it, the put the proper decals, etc...

Why not get a 1/32 kit if you're gonna do all that work? :lol: In fact, I think that building a kit from the ground up would be easier than re-doing a pre-built plane.
This is all true. I have said this before the allor of these things (1/18 scale anyway) Is that they are cheap and already built. If they had more detail the price would sky rocket. Have you seen what some of the 1/32 ultra tricked out have been selling for on e-bay? Same for the 1/18 stuff. The more detal the higher the price tag. Those museum quality large scale are selling for $3000 to $5000 ! And there is a waiting line of buyers. :shock:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 pm

What we need are small detail kits that add little details to the outsides of the older planes, not so much the interiors (unless they are easy to get to, like wheel wells). Something like the missing radio masts for the P-51B/C, a better radio mast for the corsair (I modified and moved mine forward to a more proper position, but it could look better) pitot tubes for the Mustangs, Me262s, and P40 warhawks (the proper cranked ones). Gunsights would be great as well. These should be easy for someone to make molds of, and relatively affordable if they are just a few pieces each. All it would really take would be someone making copies from existing kits or those spare parts you mention. I'd buy some cheap kits like that; they are just like getting extra decal sets to really make the planes look a bit more like models for a few bucks more....

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

But 1/32 wouldn't look right on 1/18th??

Post by jeffrowse » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:37 am

D'Oh! My bad - I misread what you'd put - you meant 1/32nd detailing on 1/32nd C21 models, didn't you? :oops: :oops:

If you're not too bothered about 100% accurate scale appearace, you *can* use PE and resin details on kit they were not originally designed for... I've used a couple of model railway detailing sets to add extra 'stowage' and odd Bolt-On-Bits to a ChapMei "Merkava 3" lookalike thing, and I'm trying to work up the courage to ruin a Star Wars Y-Wing fighter and Scout Walker I found in a charity (thrift) shop recently... the little steps make passable rudder pedals and the route indicator boards and panels look like inspection or access hatches; I even managed to find a white metal/etched brass set labelled as a "Dean Vacc Set" (meant for the underside of a goods wagon) - with a little work, it'll make a pretty good Greeblie for something ( OBOGS or similar for the Wishbone, or a gyro for the Scout?)
Admittedly not 'scale' but I'd say the results certainly look reasonable enough, at least to the observer not intimately familiar with the subject... and to be honest, how many people have seen a genuine, working starfighter to tell me I'm wrong?

Whilst not exactly cheap (the price of one of these sets costs as much as a couple of sheets of plasticard over here), there are a wealth of sets with various vents, grilles, boxes and stuff to keep a dedicated detailer happy for a while - especially if the subject is not 100% Real Life accurate.

They also make things like fences and light posts for railway modellers - careful use of a pair of (small) tinsnips or wirecutters should allow you to trim off the extra rails and stubbly bits to get something that looks right...