Modifying existing 1/32nd tank crews FOv 21st C.

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Cabe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Modifying existing 1/32nd tank crews FOv 21st C.

Post by Cabe » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 pm

I thought I would initiate a challenge to everyone who wants to take a crack at it.
We all know about several Forces of valor tank crew members (I'm looking at you mr. Sherman "Floating hands" guy). And then of course there is everyone's favorite 21sr century figure pose who I have dubbed in an earlier thread "German Charades Officer". Here is the pose in question

I have an army of these , for a lack of a better term "worthless" figures. One would have been unique but 5, is a joke. The don't fit in a turret, they don't sit in the drivers seat they don't even stand very well. And even if you say, make them operating some machine or gun, there still is the fact that his hollering' facial expression never fits in any scene. It's like he is screaming "Holy crap! Enemy tanks are a comin!" when he needs to be doing something about it INSIDE the tank, like driving. Then he is always paired with "Stoic back hands clasped General Guy" who ignores his screaming pleas. Given the fact that 21st C. makes some great tank COs and drivers, why I get these 2 figures EVER is a mystery. They never fit in the tank and oh well, enough griping.

I thought I would start a thread here to see who could come up with the most inventing modifications to these figures that make them useful. I do mean cut bend melt sculpt and attach. You can change the entire pose or positioning of arms and legs. Get out he exacto and putty and chop em up and put em together in a usable pose.
The easier the process the better, but ANYTHING to show your solutions to these bad poses.
If one could figure out to make "charades officer" become of better use to the fatherland by making him sit or fit in a turret, maybe put binocs in a hand and him pointing, then his look of horror becomes a fire command being shouted. Anything but what we got. Let us fellow forum members know what you did and tell us how to save our worthless figures from being in the drawer....lets get these guys in the war.

I am currently experimenting with an action grade sherman CO from forces of valor, you know card dealer tanker guy? Main issues with him is that his hands, though they appear to be resting on something alway float a good deal about the turret, the only way to make him look somewhat real involves turning him sideways and placing his hands on the turret hatch. Or giving him random accessories to rest his hands on, but even then he is looking like he hard at work rifling through stuff, but refusing to look down

So if you have time and some spare figures, post you ideas or results here. The winner get a free wall section from forces of valor. yay.

but seriously. If you have a solution to these guys especially if it is something the average Jill or Joe could do (but don't hold back on going complicated either)

I am interested in how these would turn out.
I have approached my solution by cutting mr Sherman fiddlehands at the elbows on top of the arm, turn them down and filling the gaps with white modeling putty, the presence of the tanker's jacket allows me freedom to be sloppy because it can be painted or sculpted to look like a fold in the fabric. So I will hopefully have him up tonight in and out of the turret with explanations on how I saved him from ridicule.

Please respond to this if you think this would be a fun thread/project.
Last edited by Cabe on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
see my art and model gallery at http://www.cabebooth.com

conteaddict
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by conteaddict » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:40 pm

take clay make a crew radio headset glue if over his head and put binocs in the hollering guys hands. thats what i did and they actually look pretty good now.
KANE LIVES
Good Traders: Cabe, Bandit

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:59 pm

"stoic hands clasped behind back guy" :D :D :D I got to have 10 of these guys. Plus the common "pointing off into the distance while holding the clipboard" guy. Sounds like a sweet project, I'll see what I can do.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:01 pm

I made a "charades" crew member once that was holding an ammunition round. I since removed the round to use the figure for other purposes. The "holding a gun" pose for that particular figure works well in one circumstance. I think it was actually designed to go in the 32x SDK-222 armored car, as it fits in the section behind the gun near perfectly :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:05 pm

I like the idea, if I should finish up the other 17 projects I have going right now, I'm in. Or maybe I'll boot this to the top of the list. We'll see...

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:22 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I made a "charades" crew member once that was holding an ammunition round. I since removed the round to use the figure for other purposes. The "holding a gun" pose for that particular figure works well in one circumstance. I think it was actually designed to go in the 32x SDK-222 armored car, as it fits in the section behind the gun near perfectly :wink:
This would work. Or you could put a small roll of toilet paper in his hands and put him behind the tank :twisted: That saw dust bread was a 8itch. :twisted:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Cabe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Cabe » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:33 pm

can i get a picture of the guy with radio headset & binocs?
I would love to see what modification you guys have already

as for the 17 projects, i know the feeling
between learning airbrush, making dioramas, photographing dioramas and posting them to photobucket, then to here and ebay, packing and shipping ebay sales and building boxes to contain and protect the dioramas. Doing house work, entering my moves for my 6 play by email head to head games of combat mission Afrika Korps, doing all the dishes constantly (no dishwasher, and painting my usual regiment of 5-6 portraits a week I have no time for figure surgery but I might have time to squeeze 1 in
And yes I still only sleep once every 48 hours, going on a half a year of this and I cannot wait to find some way to lighten my load of deadlines.

ugh
but I will try to get my sherman commander up tonight

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:00 pm

Or you could put a small roll of toilet paper in his hands and put him behind the tank That saw dust bread was a 8itch.
Thanks pickel, I could almost have used some TP after reading that... near crapped myself... :oops:
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

Cabe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Cabe » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:56 am

small cuts, nothing major but makes a hell of a difference

jrs.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jrs. » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:00 pm

Got the binocs going, boiled and cooled for firing MG, Cammoed uniforms in pea dot, radio and firing a pistol, also loading 88 shell? Pics of many of my mods are in other threads on here. Mostly associated with the fall/summer contest! And a few prior to check a little deeper if you want to see ??? :wink: Page four in this forum, thread is stugIV dio shows a few versions of this figure.

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NHoggard12 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:10 pm

ImageImage

Sorry about the pics, but this is what I've done.
I really like that winter sherman!

Cabe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Cabe » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:21 am

yes,
thats the forces of valor bastogne sherman, you can still find it often on ebay. I luckily have a guy. I will check his site for it in a sec for you.

I like what you did, but I cannot make out what he is holding.
Is it binocs?
I also like youre AR flag on the stug.
I am currently experimenting with ways the make a flag that acts true to life as it drapes over the hull and stowage, pretty nasty job when you try to get it right

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NHoggard12 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:13 pm

Sorry about the pic; yes, he is holding a cheap pair of binocs.
Any luck with the winter sherman; if you can't find one, I am planning on doing a custom.

On the flag, I printed two flags of the internet and glued them back to back and then used a little water to 'weather' them.
thanks