Glues

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Glues

Post by Ruger » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:46 pm

I was hoping I could get a bit of advice from those who do more custom work than I.

What sorts of glues is everyone using?

I tend to use CA type glues (superglue) more than I should. I love that fast drying, but the white haze can be a downside.

Model cement is great when working with styrene, but useless for anything else.

Aleene's Tacky Glue does well for general purpose glueing when building dioramas, sticking rocks and bushes and so forth in place.

I just bought some clearanced Testor's "Cement for Metal and Wood Models". But I haven't used it, and really know nothing about it.

So what else is being used, what works well, and what doesn't? Any personal favorites? Hopefully some of you who have a bit more experience than I can offer some tips and advice. Maybe we can even put together a handy reference list for everyone to use. Feel free to send out any ideas, even horror stories of what not to use are helpful! Thanks in advance.

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:43 pm

I use this tube of modelling cement that i got from Wal-Mart. WOrd to the wise: if you are going to be working with styrofoam make sure you pruchase glue made specifically for styrofoam. I learned that the hard way once, when the modelling cement sizzled right through a stryo trench, that had taken me 2 hours to make, like boiling water through an ice cube. :cry:
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:53 pm

I often use the Krazy Glue gel. It comes in the metalic tube as opposed to the plastic bottle. It does not run like the regular liquid glue and has about the same time for drying. It is very adhesive. I've found it works much better on plastics than the liquid glue.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:09 pm

Yeah, styrofoam has it's whole own set of issues, from glue to paint, if it's not meant for styrofoam, you'll know it!

I should have mentioned, I only use the gel, nothing else is worth messing with!

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:39 pm

I use thick ca glue (gap filling) with the spritzer kicker. But when glueing plastic be sure to clean the surfaces to be glued. I use denatured alcohol. If you don't , the ca glue may come lose and what you are glueing may fall apart. I learned this one the hard way. :? Acetone also works but it could melt the plastic. It does 21st Century plastic anyway. I learned this one the hard way as well. :?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by MiG29K » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:58 pm

Based on working with it in the past, I find that the effectiveness of CA / Superglue is very hit or miss - I use it as a last resort and don't rely it on heavily. I use pretty much the ones you've mentioned, Plastic Model Cement (Testors) but I my fave is Goop™ brand Plumbers adhesive or 3M Weatherstrip adhesive. Both are very strong and as I'd like to say 'it ain't goin' nowhere' that sucker will stay. It has high viscosity so if you use it for small parts, you may want to apply it with either an xacto blade edge or a toothpick. If you're gluing dissimilar materials, it outperforms CA hands down. Plastic Cement basically 'welds' plastic together and I use that a lot as well. With some parts, I also use tabs with countersunk slots to help retain strength. In all, its just trial and error. You'll get to a point where you'll instinctively 'know' when to a particular type of adhesive. Hope that helps.
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:02 am

CA super glue...but also I have used good old testors model glue MIXED with a drop of CA....bonds almost as quick as CA but also seems to have a better long term hold...
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:34 am

Hey Yoxford,
Tell me more about mixing ca with testors does this really work? It is a great idea.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:35 am

I fell into it by accident...I use allot of plati-struct, you know that white plastic strips, sheets, bits for constructing just about anything...any way it holds ok with CA but the testors melts it, so I needed to quick set it in place on a project and then once it held, I dabbed some testors around it to weld it solid. next I tried a dab of CA and Testors and what do ya know it held quicker that reg model glue and after an hour was solid as a rock.

I used regular super glue, and tube testors. I put a drop the size of a thumbtack of each next to each other and use a toothpick for mix/application.....best to experiment and see what works for you, but I have had good luck with it...

e.g. the periscopes, the grill screen/frame, (see the pics of the the FOV Bravo Tiger 1) are glued with the mix. (Couldn’t get the wire mesh to attach to the plasti-struct frame with CA, used the "mix" and it is holding like iron)
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

MG-42

* Glues *

Post by MG-42 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:41 am

Yoxford wrote:I fell into it by accident...I used the "mix" and it is holding like iron)

>>> A great idea :!: * 8) ... I was lookin' fer somethin' better myself. * :wink:

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

Glue

Post by wolf8564 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:27 pm

I think you will find the best glue for styrene is a glue used for acrylic called Weld-On it comes in differant thickness and curing times I use #3
weight. It actually welds the styrene together. Great Stuff!

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:20 pm

I usually use krazy glue gel, if I do not have that I use basic liquid super glue, and sprinkle baking soda on it.
This creates the ultimate bond, especially when working with styrene.

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:32 pm

MG40K wrote: and sprinkle baking soda on it.
Splain this one Lucy?
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:36 pm

OK, simply put the glue where you want it, then take some baking soda(any kind works fine) and sprinkle it on the glue. In a few seconds it should give you a very strong bond.