HELP! Creating Water for an XD diorama?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:22 am

Warhawker,
Very nice site and demo videos.
Thanks!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

TOOL
Sergeant
Sergeant

My Pics

Post by TOOL » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Hello, I am the person who the Marine Dio belongs too. I don't post to often but when I have things to share I ususally do.

The base is styrofoam with a layer of plaster. I painted the base with several layers. Built up the shores of the stream with plaster and used spray glue and craft sand for the shores. IFor th water I use a product called envirotex which you can get at most craft stores. Its around $15-$20 depending where you can find it. You mix and pour. This was my first attempt and it turned out alright. I would suggest building up the edges because it will run off.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tool ... =community

toyktdlgh

Re: My Pics

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:56 pm

TOOL wrote:Hello, I am the person who the Marine Dio belongs too. I don't post to often but when I have things to share I ususally do.

The base is styrofoam with a layer of plaster. I painted the base with several layers. Built up the shores of the stream with plaster and used spray glue and craft sand for the shores. IFor th water I use a product called envirotex which you can get at most craft stores. Its around $15-$20 depending where you can find it. You mix and pour. This was my first attempt and it turned out alright. I would suggest building up the edges because it will run off.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tool ... =community
Man your images link has given me so many ideas! Is that giant brick building a scratch build? Your collection is fantastic! I love the Joes army. I got started on those in the 80s.

TOOL
Sergeant
Sergeant

Yup

Post by TOOL » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:07 pm

Yes the brick building was scratchbuilt from styrofoam and casting plaster and scribing. It takes some patience but thats what this hobbies all about for me.....the upside to making them this way is that they look pretty real and the materials cost me maybe $10. The downside is that they are pretty fragile. Its not as durable as 21st plastic farmhouse by any means.

GI Joe was my first toy obsession and it has never really gone away. The new 25th anniversary is bringing back the good old days of being a kid with the wallet of a grow up :o

Glad you enjoyed the gallery and thanks for your comments.