SUGGESTIONS FOR CONTEST#5 POST HERE.

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:16 pm

Jay wrote:How bout maybe custom crew sets. So for aircraft, maybe something like making a group of ground crew posed as if servicing an aircraft and have some sort of workbench, oil drums, ammo trailer etc So kinda like a dio but without a base. Armour sets could be a bunch of guys working on an engine with a piece of machinery hanging from a hoist. So basically the theme is "Support crews". Kit bashing some figs is a bit more easier to do than whole vehicles. Plus you could get quite detailed if you wanted.
Very cool, I like this... :D Gives lots of options for variety, could be vehicles, aircraft, arty, or whatever..

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:32 pm

I also vote for this idea. 8)
[img]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/MG40K/M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver.jpg[/img]

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:32 pm

Sorry, Double Post!
Last edited by zonetoys on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:33 pm

How about making it a Photo Contest! Then you can Kit Bash, Paint, Use a Dio, or Armor or Aircraft! All in how you present it! Keep it Military and use one scale or combine scales for depth, but use close ups, Black and White, Sepia, Fog/Clouds, blurr, props, whatever - to achieve the best presentation of your idea!
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:40 am

zonetoys wrote:How about making it a Photo Contest! Then you can Kit Bash, Paint, Use a Dio, or Armor or Aircraft! All in how you present it! Keep it Military and use one scale or combine scales for depth, but use close ups, Black and White, Sepia, Fog/Clouds, blurr, props, whatever - to achieve the best presentation of your idea!
Now you're talking! Diorama photography is a field I can compete in, what with the old 21c USMC photo contest and all :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:59 am

Hey yall!!! I think a open dio contest like the one done last year would be cool!!! Thats just my $0.02!!!---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:45 am

I have another idea. How about a team dio video contest. Depending on however many people there are that enter, each person will be paired up with another member or more if there is a odd number of people and must create a dio video. Each team will decide on a topic and create a video of their dio pics combined. You could major battles, movie scenes, or whatever. Just thought that it would be neat to try something new.
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:39 am

V2 MAN wrote:I have another idea. How about a team dio video contest. Depending on however many people there are that enter, each person will be paired up with another member or more if there is a odd number of people and must create a dio video. Each team will decide on a topic and create a video of their dio pics combined. You could major battles, movie scenes, or whatever. Just thought that it would be neat to try something new.

HMMMMMMMM... what an interesting idea :o Worth thinking about as it is quite a break from the usual.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

Panzer_M

no team contest.

Post by Panzer_M » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:33 pm

I don't like the team thing...cause the closest members are 1/18 ppl and although I have some 1/18 I am a 1/35 guy all the way

Well I got 3. parts of the Dio picked out.

1. NO Tigers or Panthers will be in it...or any Heavy Armour

2. One of the Panzers will be the Sturmpanzer III...I would like to add the PzKpfw II ausf. L but it was limited to, 4 to the 4 Kavalerie Brigade and 1 to the Hermann Goering Div, all rest went to the 4th and 9th Panzer Div. As far as I know only the 9th received the "late" (25) version when it was reequipped in spring 44...and that doesn't fit with my idea(s)..prob my other panzer will be my Tamiya PzKpfw. IV ausf. H early..which can also pass as a late ausf.G with the bolted armour(up-armouring the tank to 80mm on the front from 50mm)

3. No halftracks for the Panzergrenadiers..all will be of the Regt's II Battalion and truck-borne or riding on tanks...this is the hardest part as I want use trucks other than the Opel 3ton, I'd like to find some French trucks(Saw some great pics of Renaults in III. Pz Korps at Kursk) or something just to do different.

Not spilling the year(well the Sturmpz showed up in '42 and could be found to the end of war) or the area of operation I have planned.
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 pm

Hey yall!!!Does anyone know when KAMIKAZE is going to let us know the info on contest #5 ??? Im pretty sure its going to be a dio contest but just want to know what the rules are and such!!!---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:18 pm

I think he is still letting evrybody voice there opinion for the contest.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:12 pm

Hmmm, I don't think we should limit a dio or photo contest to "you can't have this tank, or you can't have that tank" - sorry, that's not fair because I'd scream "you can't have this plane or you can't have that plane", also not fair :? Let's leave it open to whatever models folks have got ;) That would sound fair to me :) BTW, I do have a bunch of Panzers also I could use :twisted: Da General

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:17 pm

At this point we (the judges) are just taking suggestions for the contest format.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:45 am

General Blasto wrote:Hmmm, I don't think we should limit a dio or photo contest to "you can't have this tank, or you can't have that tank" - sorry, that's not fair because I'd scream "you can't have this plane or you can't have that plane", also not fair :? Let's leave it open to whatever models folks have got ;) That would sound fair to me :) BTW, I do have a bunch of Panzers also I could use :twisted: Da General
I was saying I was not personally going to use the over-used panzers. IE the Panther and Tiger tanks..since everything seems to include them now days.

Don't get defensive I know your a toy-boy. but Tigers in 1940 or Me 262s in North Afrika is a bit much if you want to go that route. It's not saying it's not fair...It's saying IT DID NOT EXIST> IE then it's NAZIFANBOY crap.

I'm a bolt counter and a grognard in the true form and damn serious about it, been one since when I used to work on CloseCombat mods back in the late 90s. and I am a firm believer of Timeframes and TO&Es.

I want to suggest and RED will prob agree with me, IF you can do a Dio from a REAL event like Outskirts of Leningrad 1942, inplace of just showing off your collection and saying It's WWII Done. You should get more points for actually doing some research into your project.

Fritzkrieg
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Fritzkrieg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:18 am

I really don't have much experience with vehicle mods, so I like the dio idea, becuse, I can flesh it out with custom figures.

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:17 am

I'm still for the support crew idea. 8)
[img]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/MG40K/M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver.jpg[/img]

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:31 am

still for the paint job. Just need paints and brushes. No custom skill needed, no garden needed. Everybody can use paints and brushes. Simple and open to everybody.

phil

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:51 am

Perhaps it should be just an open photo contest ;)
This could include: indoor/outdoor dios, model kitbashing/detailing/painting, perfect rivit count models, whimsical and what if models, etc., etc.. This would let ANYONE enter. It just seems a bit unfair to narrow it down to just certain groups :roll: I think there could be lots of great shots because we have all types of talented folks here on the forum :P This way everyone can be happy and be a part of it 8) How does that sound :?: Just a thought :idea: Da General

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:45 am

I think that could work general. 8)

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:17 pm

Count me in,I like General Blasto's plan,but will go with what ever is chosen.

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:39 pm

Hey yall!!! I do agree with PANZER M---I think a dio contest of a real event Or based around a real event would be the way to go!!! I mean 1--- you would get more pics to do/tell your story!!! 2--- You would also get to look at more pics of someone elses dio!!! And 3---pictures are cool but 1 pic of a Tiger in a field is nice---when 3 or 4 pics of the same Tiger in the same field advanceing with infantry support is kick-ass!!! Im not trying to put anybodys ideal down I just think if there is going to be a contest then it should be a contest that is going to make you go above and beyond to win---one that will make you crack open that ol'history book and come up with a good plan for a dio!!! I also would like to see a open dio contest---that way someone like myself who likes the PTO/USMC can do a dio with what he likes to do and someone who likes the ETO/DAK/D-DAY can do what they like!!!But hey thats just my $0.02!!!---RED---

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:25 pm

RED wrote:Hey yall!!! I do agree with PANZER M---I think a dio contest of a real event Or based around a real event would be the way to go!!! I mean 1--- you would get more pics to do/tell your story!!! 2--- You would also get to look at more pics of someone elses dio!!! And 3---pictures are cool but 1 pic of a Tiger in a field is nice---when 3 or 4 pics of the same Tiger in the same field advanceing with infantry support is kick-ass!!! Im not trying to put anybodys ideal down I just think if there is going to be a contest then it should be a contest that is going to make you go above and beyond to win---one that will make you crack open that ol'history book and come up with a good plan for a dio!!! I also would like to see a open dio contest---that way someone like myself who likes the PTO/USMC can do a dio with what he likes to do and someone who likes the ETO/DAK/D-DAY can do what they like!!!But hey thats just my $0.02!!!---RED---
hoo-rah, one for the grogs!

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:20 am

Alright, then how about this ...
A historically correct scene, near the end of the Euro theater (early spring 1945) on the former German border with correct Tigers, Panthers, panzers, custom troops etc. shot in still frames in a stop action video (slideshow per say) with correct symphonic music for the time in the background :?: All this within a 50 second time frame ??? Cool idea or what :P This would enploy correct modeling, Diorama, creativity and original individual thinking( not a group) ;) Believe me, this is a LOT of work :roll: But a cool idea 8) Da General

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:27 am

General Blasto wrote:Alright, then how about this ...
A historically correct scene, near the end of the Euro theater (early spring 1945) on the former German border with correct Tigers, Panthers, panzers, custom troops etc. shot in still frames in a stop action video (slideshow per say) with correct symphonic music for the time in the background :?: All this within a 50 second time frame ??? Cool idea or what :P This would enploy correct modeling, Diorama, creativity and original individual thinking( not a group) ;) Believe me, this is a LOT of work :roll: But a cool idea 8) Da General
Or you could do Operation Konrad..Hungary 1945 and show off all your SS and armour.

or just stop pouting. go play Dr. wolfenstein or whatnot.

Here is a helping hand for Der Blasto.

Osprey Publishing: Men at Arms series and Campaign Series and then also the Vangard Series.

Speaking of which for Red:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/U ... 1846032271

I saw that one on the rack, and thought of your neat PT model you found. Don't know if you got it, but for one(Myself) who knows little on the wooden wonders I thought it had some great pics and interesting info.

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm

How about anything goes. Any scale,any war/theatre/year, with as many pics as you like or you can do a video. That way everyone has a fair chance. Like Blasto said earlier everyone has different talents/skills/ etc. This way would let people show off what their good at and give everyone who enters a fair chance :wink:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo