JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:42 pm

Got some time in on the Cat today laying out the "panel fastener" details around the wing walkways, navigation light panels, the ECS exhausts and, the bypass air spill ducts. I mark the screw holes with a mechanical pencil and then go back with my #67 drill bit in the pin vise. The RH side is all marked out and started the LH side, hopefully I'm not wasting my time. This is the first time I've ever tried to do this "panel fastener" detail. Since I usually work in 1/48th scale, it's never needed IMO.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:43 pm

A little closer shot trying to show the marks better.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:44 pm

And yet, another angle. Thanks for looking.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:46 pm

QA, my boy Salem, checking in on the "panel fastener" process. The front RH side is finished, ALL 785 fasteners !! Can't wait to get started on the other side, like I said, all or nothing.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Close up shot of the areas where the "panel fastener" details were added.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Finished up the "panel fastener" details to the topside of the forward fuselage. After the wing glove vanes are puttied and sanded, I will add the remaining fasteners. Moving on to the back half of the jet for more fastener detail work and some panel lines to be rescribed. Thanks for looking.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Started laying out the panel lines I want to add to the aft end of the Cat. Once these are scribed the "panel fastener" detail will be added as well. Still contemplating about what to do about moving the vent back ????

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks for looking.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:59 am

Things have been moving slow on the Big Cat recently. I decided to take a break from the "panel fastener" detailing and do some work on the AIM-9's and bomb racks. Applied some paint to the rollerons and seeker head of the AIM-9's and painted the swaybraces on the aft bombrack pallets, the front pallets are drying. Once they are dry I will paint the swaypads on them as well. Still need to paint the yellow and brown bands on the missles and install the MV lens seeker heads as well. Not a BIG update but, at least I got another step finished up.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:59 am

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks to all who have shown interest in this build, I appreciate your viewing as well as your input.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Almost forgot the tailhook, got this painted as well.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Today's update, weathered the exhaust nozzels with some pastels. It's been about 13 years since I did this last so it took a while to get the hang of it again. I wanted to represent engines that were recently changed so, the nozzels shouldn't be that dirty yet. Not sure if I'm happy with the results just yet. I'll give them a few days and see if I change my mind and go dirtier before I flat coat them. Suggestions welcomed, thanks for looking.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:06 pm

I decided to give the nozzels another try so I took off all the pastel and mixed up some Polly Scale Panzer Dark Grey. I think I should have left them alone, I like the results from yesterday. I'll let the paint dry overnight and hit them with the pastels tomorrow and see how they come out.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:08 pm

The aft pallets got a wash as well. This shot shows the BEFORE and AFTER effects of the wash. I wanted to go a little dirtier with these two because the aft underside of the Cats were usually grimier. Time to get back to my parts and use up the rest of the wash for tonight. Thanks for looking.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:23 pm

OK last night I decided to tackle those nozzels again. Here's what I used to weather them, I also added some brown to this mix as well.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm gonna call these done, except for the flat coat. I think once I shoot the outside with MM Titanium buffing metalizer they should look good.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 pm

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Weathered up some of the other parts as well like the ventral fins, the TCS pod, the wing glove pylons, tailhook and, the BOL rails. All these items got the Polly Scale "wash" the night before. After a flat coat these items will be finished and ready to install after the jet gets finished. Thanks for following this build. Everyone have a great weekend.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:28 pm

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:28 pm

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:29 pm

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:40 pm

I decided to redo the ventral fins, the black just didn't look right to me today. I mixed some red and brown pastels together to create the hydraulic fluid color. I think they look a lot better this way.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:43 pm

I weathered up the pallets as well, here are the forward pallets.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:46 pm

Aft pallets weathered.