Sturmtiger Barrel

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Sturmtiger Barrel

Post by catman » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Im making a 1:18 Sturmtiger

I have no idea how to make this complicated barrel.
How and with what would I make it? I'd like it to be detailed, authentic, and movable. I do have a dremel on hand.

Any ideas?

thanks

grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:22 pm

You'd have to nail down the size, but I'd suggest standard plumbing PVC pipe.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:31 pm

well on the real thing the inside of the barrel had very noticable spiral grooves cut into it which will be very hard to duplicate. So you better decide just how detailed you want it to be satisfied before beginning. The barrel itself shouldn't be too hard, pvc pipe is probably your best bet and you can carefully drill all the tiny holes into the muzzle break at the front. The curvy mantlet will be tough. You may find some sort of plastic vitamin pill bottle has the right curves and is the right size.

The barrel fits into a ball and socket type joint in the front of the glacis plate. Not sure what is the right size but something like a ping pong ball or squash ball could be used there.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by catman » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:00 pm

Allright thanks. I will use the PVC pipe/ ping pong ball idea. But what do I do for the base (socket)

Thanks

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:00 am

find a slightly larger ball and cut it in half and use it as the socket? Just an idea of the top of my head.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by catman » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:04 pm

oh allright :D
thanks guys y'all are hella creative! I'll try this and see how it turns out. Time for some Home-Depot..

Ill have to find some ball and cut it into one-fourth or something, and then if that works out, from there, ill try to form a socket for it. The base will be hard as the shape is quite complicated..

The sturm-barrel moves just up and down or around like the brumbarr?

I appreciate the help guys thanks

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:51 pm

Hey catman. Aferguson solution for the ball and socket joint sounds good. If you go shopping for one, pay special attention to the packaging as well. In some cases, you can almost think of the packaging itself as possible model pieces. Have a look at this pic
So basically, you have 7 usable parts. The 6 balls and the packaging itself. These are great because the packaging has been moulded to snuggly fit over each ball. So you can easily take one ball, and cut out a section of packaging which fits over the ball and know that you have two pieces which will work together perfectly. :wink:
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

:-)

Post by catman » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:54 pm

Jay wrote:Hey catman. Aferguson solution for the ball and socket joint sounds good. If you go shopping for one, pay special attention to the packaging as well. In some cases, you can almost think of the packaging itself as possible model pieces. Have a look at this pic
So basically, you have 7 usable parts. The 6 balls and the packaging itself. These are great because the packaging has been moulded to snuggly fit over each ball. So you can easily take one ball, and cut out a section of packaging which fits over the ball and know that you have two pieces which will work together perfectly. :wink:

:shock:

That is one of the most creative and imaginative things ive ever seen..
thanks Jay! i was planning on using a pingpong ball i have already but I guess Ill buy a new set for the packaging!

Man you guys are good 8)

Would WM have PVC pipe? I have to go there for ink cartridges.. see if I can pick up all I need there..

BTW i'd post a pic but I cant find the USB cable.. :?

Thanks

Mike

shadow83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by shadow83 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:11 am

Hey catman i think someone beat you to the finish,but maybe you can get some more ideas for yours.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTIMATE-SOLDIER-1- ... dZViewItem

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42 am

Yeah, as an example of what not to do.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:08 am

shadow83 wrote:Hey catman i think someone beat you to the finish,but maybe you can get some more ideas for yours.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTIMATE-SOLDIER-1- ... dZViewItem
Waist of a perfectly good Tiger. :cry:

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by catman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:05 pm

Mine looks quite similar, though not nearly as good, all the little slots and ducts were made of play-dough :? The hatch though, I used the same one(from the tiger) and put it in the same place. Mine really sucks compared to his but ive never done this before. The barrel does actaully look like the real one save the bottom/base. Also mine doesnt have the thing that hold the rocket or the hatch in the back. Overall IMO his a great model surpassing mine a thousand times. You'd think the same if you saw mine, which I am trying to post a pic of.

edit.....

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

The gaps you see are filled in with clear sealant so theyll be covered when its painted

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:03 pm

That looks way too high, cut down about halfway
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:36 pm

Catman, here's a link to a thread posted by one of the other members. He's pretty good, and you might be able to take something from it.

viewtopic.php?t=3712&highlight=
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

7thva_hunter
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by 7thva_hunter » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:13 pm

Good job on it. It is just to tall so cut it down some dude.Clay mite work better then play dough.
XD aholic

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by catman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:19 pm

yes i know it sucks, and i cant cut it down, it took me two weeks just to get the pieces secured. like i said ive never done this before, and i dont have a lot of time/money/tools/materials. Im not retired, and I'm not a bank.

7thva_hunter
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by 7thva_hunter » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:36 pm

I am not saying it sucks dude. I wish I could spair a tank.
XD aholic

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:53 am

not bad for a toy Sturm, btw It's Not a STUG, bad ebay listing, and it looks like a house on tracks, and the hatch on the front is wrong and the gun is wrong...but it's a decent attempt..but not worth 100+ dollars(talking of the Tan? not panzergelb ebay tank) for a hack job...you can get master quality 1/35 kits for less than that, and in a B&W photoshoot with the right background you could convince they were more than mere models. But back to the point of the conversion.

To really get it down, you would need to get some 1/35 scale plans(There are out there) up them to 1/18 scale, then cut out Templates(IE they do this with R/C planes kits all the time) and start kit-bashing to get a realistic model.

There is a modeler tool called Green Stuff, it's a gap filler putty, that works wonders on seams and is strong.

Something else, Get Lead Foil..works great for everything from skirts to fenders to boxs, plus a hot iron can make realistic dents, penetration hits, and rolled damage.

and if you flaw something kit bashing..well make an excuse for the damage, AFVs did get damaged from just moving on the field, or cover in paint or equipment.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:07 pm

Yeah, as an example of what not to do
Yeah, kinda crude, but it could be worse, it could be a TUMOR....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzqf0MdmOEc :D :D
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:50 pm

catman wrote:yes i know it sucks, and i cant cut it down, it took me two weeks just to get the pieces secured. like i said ive never done this before, and i dont have a lot of time/money/tools/materials. Im not retired, and I'm not a bank.
Hey man, we all have to learn someplace don’t we. It might not be fantastic but your learning. You might want to try using sheet styrene (plastic) next time, or maybe you did. When you have some spare cash you can pick it up at your local hobby shop. You can try to get some side by side schematics and translate them to 1:18 then all you have to do is make a template, cut and glue. I know, sounds easer than it is. Just keep trying and you’ll get it. I know from experience that each time I build a model they just keep getting better. I’m to the point now that I’m actually not satisfied with work I did a year ago. Just try to pick up as much info from the veterans around here and you will do just fine.