Avenger exaust question?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Avenger exaust question?

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:49 pm

How would you guys recommend doing an exaust streak along the side of fuse coming from the exaust pipe. Should I use an airbrush for that? The Avenger model has a nice exaust pipe, and it needs some exaust stain.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:42 pm

Airbrushing the paint would work well, though I've even heard of rubbing charcoal dust along the fuselage to create the exhaust streaks. Charcoal can wear off, however. You would want to use a somewhat narrow stream and point the brush from the exhaust tube, heading rearward and use a short burst or two. That is how I approached a similar task when building a plastic kit model a few years ago. You might want to use an acrylic flat black paint so in case you are not happy with the results, you can clean it up easily w/o damaging the aircraft's paint.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:58 pm

:oops:
Last edited by VMF115 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Kudos on the mechanical pencil idea.. Quick and easy to clean up if it goes wrong.

As for the airbrush method, I was pleasantly suprised to see that Model Master (I think) makes a color called exhaust.. It was sitting right next to the sealer bottle.

Now if you can aim the airbrush right, that color and the sealer should work out. My aim, is not so good.. So I stick to large targets for the airbrush (like my death star model) or go the more tolerant charcoal or mechanical pencil routes.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:34 pm

You could make up a simple template from some thin stock (cardboard, plastic sheet, balsa sheet). Just cut out a funnel type shape (where the thinest end is the exhaust point, and the other end is fanned out). Then simply use it as a mask by holding it over the model. You can adjust the amount of "feathering" around the edges by adjusting the distance away from the model. Would probably be more realistic to hold the "exhaust" end of the mask closer to the model / exhaust tip and the other end slighty further away (template tilted closer to exhaust) to give a nice plume effect. Would probably be best to try this first on a piece of paper or something until your comfortable with the technique.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:25 am

I have had very good luck with MIG products. They make a powder based product that is great for weathering and exhaust. I mix a little of their black smoke, a hint of rust and light earth with a drop of Alcohol and paint it on. Here is the exhaust for a BBI Corsair

http://img332.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 011ql1.jpg
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:36 pm

That looks really good Yoxford.
I fly cartoon airplanes

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:00 pm

G'day Sabrefan

My first choice for this would be an airbrush. Set the airbrush (if adjustable) to its lowest flow, so when used on a white piece of paper the paint is only just visible, then slowly colour in the area of the exhaust streak working away from the exhaust stub as tmanthegreat suggests, when set on the lowest flow you can afford to be a little less accurate as it takes several runs before the exhaust streak is truly noticeable.

Simular to the charcoal approach is the use of artists pastels, these come in some very earthy colours, the pack I bought had blacks, dirty brownie-greys and even rust colours.

Use a craft knife to scrape off some pastel dust into a shallow dish and then with a soft brush you can dry-brush the dust into position. Pastels can be quite robust if not handled and it is not always necessary to seal them, however at the same time if you do not like the results pastels can be removed with water or a damp cloth. For the Avenger however I would suggest that you do seal your work with a matt varnish as that looks just about the place you’d be picking up or holding onto that big bugger while you are flying it around the room making engine humming noises as you go……., well that’s what I do with my planes :oops: .

Hope this helps.
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:14 am

Sabrefan,

Here is the link that best shows and describes the use of MIG pigments.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw05.htm

Better control than pastel chalk and unlike an airbrush if you don't like the result, it will wash off (if you have not sealed it yet)
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

Avenger Exhaust

Post by wolf8564 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:26 pm

Down and Dirty. Art Pencil on sandpaper apply with stiff paint brush. That way is removeable. Other wise Mask off theexhaust and get out the airbrush.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Airbrushing and others

Post by Folkwulfe » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:03 pm

Just a little detail about the technique I use. I set my airbrush to light pressure and cut the paint down low. Test on something first. Flat black or Hot Rod Primer are the best colors to use as a base (first) color. I then hold the airbrush close to the exaust and aligned with the in-flight air direction. You should be able to "mist" very lightly....almost no paint. This allows you to adjust the amount of staining....just hold longer for more, but keep it light. You can always add more...but it's tough to repair too much. I then add, even lighter, a mist of Sand or light brown over the black....again keep it very light. The stains are always darker the closer to the exhaust you get, lighter as you travel back along the slipstream. For slight oil staining, I take a small amount (about a pin-head) of heavily thinned India ink and apply where the stain would start. Then blow medium pressure from the airbrush along the airstream and watch the ink run. Adjust the direction and pressure (double action airbrush) and you can "push" the ink in any direction you want. The ink will almost instantly dry from the air, so be quick. Another method (heavy oil stain) is a fine tipped Sharpie. They also work great for those little holes that really aren't holes on the model. By coloring the inside, it looks like it IS a hole. Give it a whirl....and practise alot.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm