Reinforcements for my testudo

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
markecho
Sergeant
Sergeant

Reinforcements for my testudo

Post by markecho » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:18 pm

Well got the rest of the troops in and got an oppurtunity to take some shots..about 2 weeks ago!! Just getting to posting them now:

These guys are difficult to pose outside...best on a flat surface like here - then the formation looks much much cleaner!

Happy with the Romans but just with they were about 1/4 taller - they are a bit short for 1:18. Even though there can be justification by saying they were shorter back in that age...but BBI could have made them a little taller. I just hope they make a standing pose too!

It is the dang toy companies that have sometimes made me want to stop collecting toys!!!

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:01 pm

Drooling :lol:

That is a great setup, and I like it expecially in the outside shots. Its pretty realistic! In actuality, the shields and formation wouldn't be so even, so the fact that the soldiers don't stand as well works to good effect.

The Roman figures would be a little taller if they were in a natural standing position, and yes, the average person in antiquity was alot smaller than today - averaging 5'5" or shorter. I've seen a surviving example of Roman armor (in the British Museum) fitted to a frame that showed the approximate size of the origional wearer, and I (at 5'6") would have been a good 4 inches taller. When I visited the ruins of Pompeii in Italy, the plaster casts of the victims gave a very good indication as to how short the people were. The size of the BBI figures is pretty accurate!

Can't wait to see what you do with the wave 2 Roman figures :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

bird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bird » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:35 pm

who's the guy on the far left?

markecho
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by markecho » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:03 pm

Thanks tman!
Yeah I like outdoor set ups too - just look better in pics. But standing them is a pain. And you are right about the formations not being so even. I must have been playing too much Rome Total War! Heh!

Yeah I understand about the height thing..I still don't think it was on purpose. I would be surprised if it was. But thanks for the history info.. cuz I almost returned them just to show my displeasment with BBI. But I got over it.

Yeah I can't wait for calvary and archers! And hopefully a standing neutral pose so I can build more formations!

Bird the guy on the far left is BBI WWII 2nd Ranger troop. This is 1 of the 2 WWII troops that just came out with the wave of new BBI modern troops.
It is the dang toy companies that have sometimes made me want to stop collecting toys!!!

normandy

Post by normandy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:48 am

:shock: How mant troops do you have? They look great in those pics and I too like the outdoor pics, very realistic.

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:46 pm

WOW that looks very impressive!

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:29 pm

Nice!

I'm tempted to get some of those, as i love Romans. I know i 'd have to get a centuries worth though, and i don't have the space or dough for that.

I'm wondering why the signifer/vexilarius has a cavalry mask though.
I Tan I Epi Tas

markecho
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by markecho » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:01 am

Thanks guys for the compliments and checking out the pics!

normandy - I have 50 troops in the testudo 10 wide by 5 deep - and then 4 to cover one of the flanks. and then the Sig and Cent...so all in all there are 56 in the pic.

Ta-152...I guess the Signifier has a calvary mask because they made some of these troops so they could be standing or on horseback.
I too want to build centuries...but with BBI's lack of information I am starting to question the expandability of this line. I know series 2 is supposed to come out...but with BBI providing very little info...it makes me hesitant to get more of their figs. - sorry for the rant...but just look at my signature ;)

Thanks again guys - take it easy!

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 am

The outdoor scenes are great.

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:31 am

That shot on the sand is superb----I can picture rebels scurrying across Judea as we speak.
Aaron

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:07 am

WOW Now Tomd has another collector with a Large Roman cohort to join up with to form a Legion :D

Excellent work mate & thank`s also for showing them in scale to others. They look Great :D

Ja
Steel Bonnet