Custom 1/32 JS-2 Stalin Tank! (Finished- New Pics 8/27/11)

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General

Custom 1/32 JS-2 Stalin Tank! (Finished- New Pics 8/27/11)

Post by PanzerArm » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Hello everyone, just thought I would fill you on on some progress I have made on my latest project a 1/32 JS-2 Stalin Tank. As some of you may know the JS-2 was the heavy tank the soviets fielded in 1944-45 in order to add a little heft to the Soviet Armored force. It was armed with the 122mm A-19 gun, and later the 122mm D-25T. Its HE round could crack a panther's frontal armor and split weld seams!

I had this idea some time ago, and I recently discovered a way to make it a reality! I will post more pics in the future, but these will give you a basic idea as to its construction and look. I hope to do some serious weathering to this one so I'm saying it's 80% done.

The franken tank:

A little paint(turret dry-fitted and kind of lop sided):

It still needs a lot of work, highlighting, painting exhaust, crew wear, some washes, a little stowage, and of course some weathering in the form of mud and dirt.

-Kevin
Last edited by PanzerArm on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyboy_fx

Re: Custom 1/32 JS-2 Stalin Tank!

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:15 pm

Its beautiful!!!! :cry: :D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: Custom 1/32 JS-2 Stalin Tank!

Post by ram04 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:44 am

Looks great 8), I'm sure after weathering it will be fantastic.

PanzerArm

Re: Custom 1/32 JS-2 Stalin Tank! (Finished 8/20/11)

Post by PanzerArm » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:45 pm

It is all done! The JS-2 is on the left if you were wondering lol. More pics tomorrow, the lighting in my hobby room sucks and on top of that the camera died after only getting one picture. Oh well, better I wait til tomorrow for the rest of them that way I can open some blinds and let some natural light in!

-Kevin
Last edited by PanzerArm on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:57 pm

8) ... as always . Keep up the kool custom work there Kevin.

->>>-----> ... " but I don't think we'll have to worry about this too much longer ". :wink:

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Okay Kevin,

Enough of this Eastern end russian armor, you have a DAK diorama that we are waiting on, I can't wait to see how this is going to look, just a column running through a valley would be cool, throw in a fan to get a mini sand storm going and its all changed, need a extra Matilda for destroyed armor let me know., also have a Lee and a Grant to lay off the sides, plus some shermans.

Sounds great, Jim

plasticboy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticboy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Well done on that beast! The barrel it does looks powerful by that time, that was bigger than any tank.
Have fun with toys forever!
http://weylent.blogspot.com/

jkinzel

Post by jkinzel » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 pm

plasticboy wrote:Well done on that beast! The barrel it does looks powerful by that time, that was bigger than any tank.
:?: Is the "Roma Hotel" still open and what is the HSA Compound used for now?

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Thank you all for the comments. Sorry I haven't been forthcoming on the better photos, I just built a new PC and I have spent the last week getting it up to snuff and getting all my old files transferred over. I will try and take them tonight.

Jim, the DAK diorama has been put on hold until we are graced with more favorable climes. It is far to hot for a mid-day shoot, or hell, even an early morning or late afternoon shoot. I think I might have found a good spot for it though: there is a big empty lot two houses down from my in-laws, and I think the vegetation is just sparse enough to be passable 1/32 scale desert (as in there isn't an abundance of shrubbery too close together). I think I am going to scout it out on the way home from work today and give it a better look over.

-Kevin

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Here are some "better" photos. One of these days I am going to get a little photo studio set up and a better camera so i can feel I'm doing my stuff justice (which I don't feel my pictures are doing.

Some comparison shots:

And my next project is...

A 1/32 PAK 43:

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Custom 1/32 JS-2 Stalin Tank! (Finished- New Pics 8/27/1

Post by NHoggard12 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:36 am

Love it! Great to see new 1/32 pieces.
my only complaint: wish you had used different markings, such as the model by hobbymaster in berlin.
What is the story on the king tiger?

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:52 pm

NHoggard12 wrote:Love it! Great to see new 1/32 pieces.
NHoggard12 wrote: my only complaint: wish you had used different markings, such as the model by hobbymaster in berlin.

What is the story on the king tiger?
>>> that is a custom painted ambush scheme KT , he found on eBaY.

- MG

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NHoggard12 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:05 pm

I like that king tiger; it is the 21st version?

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:10 pm

NHoggard12 wrote:I like that king tiger; it is the 21st version?

>>> Yes it is . ... "you can make anything you want if you know how to paint". :wink: :o :D 8)

- MG

Fitzy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Fitzy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Very Nice work- Kevin. Glad to see some 1/32 customs

Der Kommandant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Der Kommandant » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:03 pm

What's the recipe for the JS-2?

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:51 pm

Quite a few things to address here:

NHoggard, the paint scheme was chosen to reflect the model of JS-2. The only variants that are known to have sported the famous Berlin-type paint scheme with the recognition stripes was the 1944 version (often mislabeled the JS-2M). I tried and tried to find a early version JS-2 with that paint scheme, but I never could. I went with the more historically accurate scheme instead, albeit the less interesting one. This is actually a pretty common complaint of people modeling the early JS-2 is that they are pretty darn boring!

I do plan on building another one though as parts become available (I'll detail which parts in a sec Der Kommandant :D ). The next one will be converted to a the 1944 version with the wider mantlet, updated periscopes, sloped hull front, etc etc. It will be more work, but I do want to see a Berlin version myself.

The king tiger was a purchase I made on ebay about a month or so ago. It was from everyone's favorite 21st Century ebay seller Iluvnfl. She often sells rare one of a kind 21st century pieces, including the infamous 1/18 king tiger, and this one caught my eye in that it was not your run of the mill 21st century KT. I didn'y pay out the nose for it either, $37 IIRC, which is definitely a steal for a really well painted custom KT, when compared to one painted by me (material costs) or paying anyone else to do it for me. I also picked up a custom DAK sdkfz 7 :mrgreen: The king tiger is supposed the represent a tiger from the ss.s.pz.abt 501 during the BoB. It is different from the standard 21st century version in that the paint is much better, and the turret number is different.

Der Kommandant, are you interested in making your own? Well if you are prepare for some scavenger hunting because the ingredients for this beast aren't exactly common. Back in the 70s a company out of St. Petersberg, USSR (back then at least) made these "1/30" scale model kits. The company was called Russian Ogenok. To my knowledge they made 5 "1/30" model kits: a JS-3, ISU-122, ISU-152, KV-85, and a T-34/85. NOw I learned of these fairly recently and decided to do some research. I found my first one on ebay, a KV-85, and once I received it in the mail I decided to compare it to my FOV KV-1. Well it lets just say it seemed a bit small to be "1/30" after comparing it and they were seemingly the same size. Then I went into custom mode. I broke out the George Bradford Russian AFVs book, with scale drawings of 1/35 scale tanks, found the KV-85, converted to 1/32, and measured. Sure enough, this Russian Ogenok kit was 1/32 scale, not 1/30. After that it was a mad dash to try and get as many of these things as possible, which was not easy saying that they've been OOP for 40 years. During the acquisition phase I came up with the plan to revisit the idea of making a 1/32 JS-2 that I had had a few years back. For those of you who may not be familiar with the KV and JS series, their development was pretty intertwined, especially at the end of the former's life and the beginning of the latter's. THe KV-85 was for all intents and purposes the last production variant of the KV series. It had a new turret to mount the larger 85mm gun(traditionally it carried the 76.2mm). THis interim solution was done because the first production hulls of the JS-1 would not be ready in time for the necessity of these weapons at the front. It was soon decided by the Russian ordinance department that the heavy Russian tanks needed to mount a larger gun, one with a record of stopping German heavies. So the decision was made to mount the A-19 122mm gun in the new turret. Some minor modifications were made and the new gun proved to be the weapon they wanted so it was put in the new turret (same kind of turret as the KV-85) and mounted on the JS-1 body to give us the earliest version of the JS-2.

-If you have lost me that was a description of how the turret that came with the KV-85 kit could be used at the turret of a JS-2 (with modifications of course).

Now, the chassis. This was a more obvious solution. The ISU assault guns used the same chassis as the JS series tank, so I sacrificed the ISU-122 kit I had (I was least excited about the ISU-122 to be honest, and used its gun and chassis. I had to cut off the box-like superstructure and fabricate the front hull, but that was not too difficult.

To summarize, you will need the following:

Turret from KV-85:

Chassis and gun from ISU-122:

Styrene products to fabricate the front hull; I used evergreen stuff:

Fitzy, thanks for the compliment, I feel like sometimes this forum is letting the 1/32 stuff go the way of the Dodo Bird, and is only the home to 1/18 customs. I am trying to keep it alive and I hope that maybe I can inspire others to do the same.

Wow, long post, anyway, back to my relaxing Sunday.

-Kevin

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:01 pm

What terms do you input to search for these on ebay?

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:14 am

I would search 1/30 scale and filter by model kits. They aren't all that common, but there are two on ebay right now that are not exactly what I would call a good price, but if you want them now you can get them.

-Kevin

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:27 am

very nice
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks, Kev. Those prices aren't good for me, but I can find them now if need be. Liked all the 1/30 dinosaur kits.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Apparently this company is still around and producing these kits:

http://www.ogonek-toys.ru/catalogue/models/index.htm

I don;t know what the page says, or the prices, but just thought I'd share with you guys.

-Kevin

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 pm

From what I can make out (my Russian is very rusty and limited) I think these are built versions of the models, kind of like Dragon does with some of its stuff. It says most of them come 4 to a box - I'm assuming that's a wholesale price - and are for children 10+. The other models shown as boxes (the boats and planes) are made by another company, not Ogonek. They actually mention the need for glue and paint in the description whereas the tanks shown built, not as a box, make no mention of needing such. All they say at the bottom is " Toy for the children, who have the experience of simulation". Whatever that means.

But then again, as with the Chinese and their adverts, certain facts may have been left out.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:02 am

Great looking tank .

Typically looking Russian . Simple but deadly :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

ledhead0085
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ledhead0085 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:52 am

awesome job on the js-1! that pak 43 you have i would really like to add one of those to my collection. is it possible that you can recast it? ill buy it from you. as rare as it is im sure alot of us on here would.