New to the 1:18th Game

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Castroww
Corporal
Corporal

New to the 1:18th Game

Post by Castroww » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Hello everyone, I've been an admirer of modern 1:18 militaria for a while now and started collecting because of how realistic some of the figures, vehicles, and helicopters look. It wasn't until recently when I was Googleing for new helicopters that may have or have not been built. I personally wish someone would make either a Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion or a CH-47 Chinook for the 1:18. I've got some great ideas for those two. :( Anyways I have been sitting back in the shadows admiring all of your customs amazed at the level of skill and attention detail put into each piece. Now I would like to contribute some of the ideas brewing in my head but I have a few questions.

First is, which is something I'll wait till I know what I'm doing. But my main goal is to make dioramas, the very first I got the idea from the movie, "The Green Zone" and the scene is when the SF soldiers are about to raid the building where Matt Damon is being held. I want to make it just before the shooting start when everyone is in position. Where can I get reading material on how to make such dioramas, and if someone knows what kind of material I would need would be greatly appreciated.

Second is, I picked up a while back, an Ultimate Soldiers Huey Helicopter for $5 at a garage sale. The reason why it was $5 was because it had no Main rotor or shaft, no tail rotor, and no rocket pods. Anyone know where I can get those or how to make em from scratch, the body itself is in great shape. When and if I can get that done I saw someone put two .50 cal machine guns on a Pavehawk and I would love to do that to the Huey. If that goes well I'm going to do the same thing to a Little Bird I have but it will be 2 M249's with an Operator behind the triggers.

Third and final request is slings, I'm looking for slings for my figures weapons. Any advice on that?

Thanks again for any help anyone can give, or direction someone points me into. Here's to me being able to give the same advice when I reach some of your level of skill.
2 months, 14 days left

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: New to the 1:18th Game

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:30 am

The slings can be made with tooth pastes tubes cut into strips or the foil package that coffee comes in. You can use patio screen as buckles you need to cut the tiny squares.

I do make a rear rotor copy for the Huey.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16309&start=25

You have given me an idea about making replacement parts for the Huey :wink:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

normandy

Post by normandy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:01 am

Welcome to the site!
Shep Paine to name one, has written some good books on the subject...
http://books.google.com/books?id=tge5LX ... &q&f=false

http://sheperdpaine.com/gallery/armor/index.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=xGtrpf ... &q&f=false

There is plenty of material online and many members here to help you get started and check the 3rd topic on the top off this page...Tricks,Tips, Hints.... lots of intel and pics.
Have fun,
Normandy.

PS Here's another link I forgot to post above.... Letterman, he's a Master when it comes modeling and Dioramas.
http://www.bobletterman.com/wordpress/?cat=5
Last edited by normandy on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:22 am

pickelhaube wrote:The slings can be made with tooth pastes tubes cut into strips or the foil package that coffee comes in. You can use patio screen as buckles you need to cut the tiny squares.

PH,
Have you tried to make the main rotor for the Huey?
I have one that needs a new blade.

Castroww,
If you send me a private mail (click on the "pm" at the bottom of my post) with your name and address, I can send you the (2) rockets pods for the Huey.
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:40 am

Razor17019 wrote:
pickelhaube wrote:The slings can be made with tooth pastes tubes cut into strips or the foil package that coffee comes in. You can use patio screen as buckles you need to cut the tiny squares.

PH,
Have you tried to make the main rotor for the Huey?
I have one that needs a new blade.

Castroww,
If you send me a private mail (click on the "pm" at the bottom of my post) with your name and address, I can send you the (2) rockets pods for the Huey.
Razor

If there is a need I will make it :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Castroww
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Castroww » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:44 am

@picklehaube- I tried a new sling yesterday made from the WWII parachute cord for the 1:18 with a screen as the buckle and it actually looked pretty good.
I also looked at the link you provided and your pieces look amazing.
I am willing to split the cost with razor for the main rotor but you have a 6 month rule against that very thing. Can you wait for me Razor lol.
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm very appreciative for it all.
2 months, 14 days left

Castroww
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Castroww » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:01 am

@Razor - can't private message, says I'm still too new.
2 months, 14 days left

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:20 am

Castroww wrote:@Razor - can't private message, says I'm still too new.
I sent you a pm. See if you can view it and reply back.
If not, you can email me @ [email protected]
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Castroww,
I'm betting the pavehawk with the .50cals mounted in the cabin you saw is mine - don't think I've seen any other 1/18 pavehawks with that particular configuration. I also have Pickel's M134 chain guns in the crew chief windows.
It wasn't hard to do the .50s mounts. Of course you'll need a couple .50s to start with. I can give you more details if you eventually need them or send pics of mine again.
I think Pickel actually did a mount for the Huey and I remember a thread on it a while back with pictures and all. I think they decided that Hueys were much more likely to have M60s mounted than .50 cals (too much vibration on the .50s for the Huey platform).
Here's a link to one of the discussions although I didn't find the actual build thread of his prototype gun mount for the Huey:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16501&hilit=huey+gun+mount&start=25
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"